Re: Theodore Roosevelt Association Annual Meeting Oct 24th -- 26th in Oyster Bay, NY

  • Keith Simon
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 17, 2008
      We heard from the Theodore Roosevelt Association that per local
      Oyster Bay sentiment, politicians will not allowed to give political
      speeches around local parade events, so it is unlikely that CSPAN
      would cover what looks like a decidedly non-political, i.e.
      historical event.

      --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, "jmgallen@..." <JMGallen@...> wrote:

      > Will any of this be carried on C-Span?
      > Jim Gallen
      >
      > -- "Keith Simon" <simonamerica@...> wrote:
      >
      > The Theodore Roosevelt Association will conduct its 89th Annual
      Meeting in TR's hometown, Oyster Bay, New York, from Friday, October
      24 to Sunday, October 26, to celebrate the 150th anniversary of
      President Roosevelt's birth.
      > The theme is "TR's Hometown: To Understand the Man, You Must
      Understand the Place."
      > The host facility for the 2008 Annual Meeting will be the Glen Cove
      Mansion Hotel and Conference Center, a historic 1905 estate that has
      been converted into a modern hotel and conference center.
      > A limited number of special package rooms have been reserved for
      TRA members at the rate of $160 per night, which includes breakfast
      for up to two. The special group rate is only available through
      September 29th, so please reserve your room early. These rooms are
      available on a first-come-first-serve basis, and many rooms have
      already been reserved. Room reservations for the Glen Cove Mansion
      Hotel and Conference Center can be made by calling (516) 671-6400.
      The Glen Cove Mansion Hotel and Conference Center is located at 200
      Dosoris Lane, Glen Cove, New York, 11542, minutes from Oyster Bay and
      a short train ride from Manhattan.
      > Friday, October 24th, 2008
      > On Friday morning, Founder's Circle members will gather at 8:00
      A.M. for a special breakfast hosted by TRA President Jim Bruns.
      > Three business meetings will convene as follows:
      > 9:00 A.M. Finance and Investment Committee
      > 10:00 A.M. Chapters Meetings
      > 11:00 A.M. Executive Committee Meeting
      > From 12:30 P.M. to 1:30 P.M. lunch will be served in the Garden
      Dining Room with guest speaker Marc Van Driessche on the topic: "FBI
      Centennial: Theodore Roosevelt and the Founding of the FBI".
      > After lunch, the Trustee Meeting will be held from 1:45 P.M. to
      2:30 P.M., followed by three different 40 minute Member Forums from
      2:30 to 4:30, focusing on the Theodore Roosevelt Presidential Museum
      and Research Center, hosted by President Jim Bruns and Barbara
      Brandt. Forum topics include the unveiling of the Museum and Research
      Center's new logo by renowned graphic designer Primo Angeli; a
      Members Museum Design Charrette by Gallegher and Associates; and the
      design of the proposed facility by concept architect Joseph Reilly
      and project management consultant Glen Hopkins.
      > An optional Friday activity is the opening of a special art exhibit
      called "The RooseveltsÂ…It Wasn't All Politics" featuring artwork by
      members of the Roosevelt family from the 19th century to the present
      day. Shuttle buses will be available to bring guests to Oyster Bay
      and view artwork on display in the TRA's new offices, located in a
      historic building where TR had his office while Governor of New York
      and where his Executive Offices were located during the summer of
      1902. Guests can also view displays of important historical documents
      and hear Theodore Roosevelt's actual recorded voice making historic
      addresses from a century ago. Additional Roosevelt artwork will be on
      display at the nearby Earle Wightman House, home of the Oyster Bay
      Historical Society.
      > Optional evening event: On Friday buses will leave the Glen Cove
      Mansion at 5:15 P.M. for a short ride to Steamboat Landing where
      guests can enjoy a relaxing Gold Coast Cruise around Oyster Bay
      Harbor and Long Island Sound, complete with a buffet dinner. Buses
      will arrive back at the Glen Cove Mansion around 9:30 P.M. After the
      boat ride, Barbara Brandt, Association Chair, will host a TRA
      Hospitality Room, location to be announced.
      > Saturday, October 25th, 2008
      > Saturday's activities begin with a Symposium from 9:00 A.M. – 11:00
      A.M.
      > The presenters will be noted historian and author Dr. Natalie
      Naylor, Professor Emeritus of Hofstra University; Betty Boyd Caroli,
      author of The Roosevelt Women and America's First Ladies; and
      Elizabeth E. Roosevelt, member of the TRA Executive Board and cousin
      to Theodore Roosevelt.
      > Buses will leave the Glen Cove Mansion at 11:30 for an exciting day
      of celebrations in Oyster Bay, beginning with lunch at the Matinecock
      Masonic Lodge, where TR attended as a Mason. Guests will be able to
      view the many historical artifacts and documents on display at the
      Lodge.
      > On Saturday afternoon starting at 1:00 P.M. attendees will enjoy an
      old-fashioned TR Birthday Parade, complete with Rough Riders and
      marching bands. After the parade, buses will transport guests back to
      the Glen Cove Mansion where the evening festivities begin with a
      cocktail reception, Silent Auction and display of Theodore Roosevelt
      memorabilia from 5:30 P.M. to 6:30 P.M.
      > The highlight of the weekend's celebration of TR's 150th birthday
      is the Association's Annual Dinner, which will begin at 7:00 P.M.
      This year's key-note speaker will be renowned Presidential biographer
      H.W. Brands, author of TR: The Last Romantic.
      > Sunday, October 26th, 2008
      > As a special optional event, on Sunday, October 26, members can
      attend a 10:00 A.M. service at Christ Church, the church attended by
      TR as an adult. Participants can see Archie Roosevelt's prankish pew
      carvings. Afterwards, guests will be given a special tour of Sagamore
      Hill, hosted by the National Parks Service, where a variety of events
      will be held, including a storyteller, demonstrations of birds of
      prey from the Theodore Roosevelt Sanctuary and Audubon Center and
      live musical performances. Participants can enjoy a box lunch while
      relaxing in the tranquil setting of TR's house and grounds. At 4:00
      P.M. interested guests can return to Christ Church for an Evensong
      service in honor of TR's Sesquicentennial. Special music will be
      performed by the combined choirs of Christ Church and the nearby
      First Presbyterian Church, where TR and his family attended services
      in his youth.
      > Monday, October 27th, 2008
      > Optional concluding event at 10:00 A.M. - Presidential Wreath
      Laying
      > Every year on his birthday a pilgrimage is made to nearby Youngs
      Memorial Cemetery where a special Presidential Wreath sent from the
      White House is placed on TR's grave. Join U.S. Navy representatives,
      veterans, school children, Cub Scouts, dignitaries, and
      representatives from Sagamore Hill and the TRA as we gather in simple
      yet heartfelt memory of Theodore Roosevelt.
      > APPLICATION FORM HAS BEEN UPLOADED to the Files section at
      > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tr-
      m/files/TRA_Annual_Meeting_2008.pdf

      > Fashion Design Education - Click Here!

      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2131/fc/Ioyw6iigh8tBbHI9iUId0iPEIJ