Re: [tr-m] Theodore Roosevelt Association Annual Meeting Oct 24th -- 2 6th in Oyster Bay, NY

  • jmgallen@juno.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 13, 2008

      Will any of this be carried on C-Span?

      Jim Gallen

      -- "Keith Simon" <simonamerica@...> wrote:

      he Theodore Roosevelt Association will conduct its 89th Annual Meeting in TR's hometown, Oyster Bay, New York, from Friday, October 24 to Sunday, October 26, to celebrate the 150th anniversary of President Roosevelt's birth.

      The theme is "TR's Hometown: To Understand the Man, You Must Understand the Place."

      The host facility for the 2008 Annual Meeting will be the Glen Cove Mansion Hotel and Conference Center, a historic 1905 estate that has been converted into a modern hotel and conference center.

      A limited number of special package rooms have been reserved for TRA members at the rate of $160 per night, which includes breakfast for up to two. The special group rate is only available through September 29th, so please reserve your room early. These rooms are available on a first-come-first- serve basis, and many rooms have already been reserved. Room reservations for the Glen Cove Mansion Hotel and Conference Center can be made by calling (516) 671-6400. The Glen Cove Mansion Hotel and Conference Center is located at 200 Dosoris Lane, Glen Cove, New York, 11542, minutes from Oyster Bay and a short train ride from Manhattan.

      Friday, October 24th, 2008

      n Friday morning, Founder's Circle members will gather at 8:00 A.M. for a special breakfast hosted by TRA President Jim Bruns.

      Three business meetings will convene as follows:

      9:00 A.M. Finance and Investment Committee

      10:00 A.M. Chapters Meetings

      11:00 A.M. Executive Committee Meeting

      From 12:30 P.M. to 1:30 P.M. lunch will be served in the Garden Dining Room with guest speaker Marc Van Driessche on the topic: "FBI Centennial: Theodore Roosevelt and the Founding of the FBI".

      After lunch, the Trustee Meeting will be held from 1:45 P.M. to 2:30 P.M., followed by three different 40 minute Member Forums from 2:30 to 4:30, focusing on the Theodore Roosevelt Presidential Museum and Research Center, hosted by President Jim Bruns and Barbara Brandt. Forum topics include the unveiling of the Museum and Research Center's new logo by renowned graphic designer Primo Angeli; a Members Museum Design Charrette by Gallegher and Associates; and the design of the proposed facility by concept architect Joseph Reilly and project management consultant Glen Hopkins.

      An optional Friday activity is the opening of a special art exhibit called "The Roosevelts…It Wasn't All Politics" featuring artwork by members of the Roosevelt family from the 19th century to the present day. Shuttle buses will be available to bring guests to Oyster Bay and view artwork on display in the TRA's new offices, located in a historic building where TR had his office while Governor of New York and where his Executive Offices were located during the summer of 1902. Guests can also view displays of important historical documents and hear Theodore Roosevelt's actual recorded voice making historic addresses from a century ago. Additional Roosevelt artwork will be on display at the nearby Earle Wightman House, home of the Oyster Bay Historical Society.

      Optional evening event: On Friday buses will leave the Glen Cove Mansion at 5:15 P.M. for a short ride to Steamboat Landing where guests can enjoy a relaxing Gold Coast Cruise around Oyster Bay Harbor and Long Island Sound, complete with a buffet dinner. Buses will arrive back at the Glen Cove Mansion around 9:30 P.M. After the boat ride, Barbara Brandt, Association Chair, will host a TRA Hospitality Room, location to be announced.

      Saturday, October 25th, 2008

      aturday's activities begin with a Symposium from 9:00 A.M. – 11:00 A.M.

      The presenters will be noted historian and author Dr. Natalie Naylor, Professor Emeritus of Hofstra University; Betty Boyd Caroli, author of

      The Roosevelt Women and America's First Ladies; and Elizabeth E. Roosevelt, member of the TRA Executive Board and cousin to Theodore Roosevelt.

      Buses will leave the Glen Cove Mansion at 11:30 for an exciting day of celebrations in Oyster Bay, beginning with lunch at the Matinecock Masonic Lodge, where TR attended as a Mason. Guests will be able to view the many historical artifacts and documents on display at the Lodge.

      n Saturday afternoon starting at 1:00 P.M. attendees will enjoy an old-fashioned TR Birthday Parade, complete with Rough Riders and marching bands. After the parade, buses will transport guests back to the Glen Cove Mansion where the evening festivities begin with a cocktail reception, Silent Auction and display of Theodore Roosevelt memorabilia from 5:30 P.M. to 6:30 P.M.

      The highlight of the weekend's celebration of TR's 150th birthday is the Association' s Annual Dinner, which will begin at 7:00 P.M. This year's key-note speaker will be renowned Presidential biographer H.W. Brands, author of

      TR: The Last Romantic.

      Sunday, October 26th, 2008

      s a special optional event, on Sunday, October 26, members can attend a 10:00 A.M. service at Christ Church, the church attended by TR as an adult. Participants can see Archie Roosevelt's prankish pew carvings. Afterwards, guests will be given a special tour of Sagamore Hill, hosted by the National Parks Service, where a variety of events will be held, including a storyteller, demonstrations of birds of prey from the Theodore Roosevelt Sanctuary and Audubon Center and live musical performances. Participants can enjoy a box lunch while relaxing in the tranquil setting of TR's house and grounds. At 4:00 P.M. interested guests can return to Christ Church for an Evensong service in honor of TR's Sesquicentennial. Special music will be performed by the combined choirs of Christ Church and the nearby First Presbyterian Church, where TR and his family attended services in his youth.

      Monday, October 27th, 2008

      Optional concluding event at 10:00 A.M. - Presidential Wreath Laying

      very year on his birthday a pilgrimage is made to nearby Youngs Memorial Cemetery where a special Presidential Wreath sent from the White House is placed on TR's grave. Join U.S. Navy representatives, veterans, school children, Cub Scouts, dignitaries, and representatives from Sagamore Hill and the TRA as we gather in simple yet heartfelt memory of Theodore Roosevelt.

      APPLICATION FORM HAS BEEN UPLOADED to the Files section at

      http://groups. yahoo.com/ group/tr- m/files/TRA_ Annual_Meeting_ 2008.pdf

      Fashion Design Education - Click Here!

    • Keith Simon
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 17, 2008
        We heard from the Theodore Roosevelt Association that per local
        Oyster Bay sentiment, politicians will not allowed to give political
        speeches around local parade events, so it is unlikely that CSPAN
        would cover what looks like a decidedly non-political, i.e.
        historical event.

        --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, "jmgallen@..." <JMGallen@...> wrote:

        > Will any of this be carried on C-Span?
        > Jim Gallen
        >
        > -- "Keith Simon" <simonamerica@...> wrote:
        >
        > The Theodore Roosevelt Association will conduct its 89th Annual
        Meeting in TR's hometown, Oyster Bay, New York, from Friday, October
        24 to Sunday, October 26, to celebrate the 150th anniversary of
        President Roosevelt's birth.
        > The theme is "TR's Hometown: To Understand the Man, You Must
        Understand the Place."
        > The host facility for the 2008 Annual Meeting will be the Glen Cove
        Mansion Hotel and Conference Center, a historic 1905 estate that has
        been converted into a modern hotel and conference center.
        > A limited number of special package rooms have been reserved for
        TRA members at the rate of $160 per night, which includes breakfast
        for up to two. The special group rate is only available through
        September 29th, so please reserve your room early. These rooms are
        available on a first-come-first-serve basis, and many rooms have
        already been reserved. Room reservations for the Glen Cove Mansion
        Hotel and Conference Center can be made by calling (516) 671-6400.
        The Glen Cove Mansion Hotel and Conference Center is located at 200
        Dosoris Lane, Glen Cove, New York, 11542, minutes from Oyster Bay and
        a short train ride from Manhattan.
        > Friday, October 24th, 2008
        > On Friday morning, Founder's Circle members will gather at 8:00
        A.M. for a special breakfast hosted by TRA President Jim Bruns.
        > Three business meetings will convene as follows:
        > 9:00 A.M. Finance and Investment Committee
        > 10:00 A.M. Chapters Meetings
        > 11:00 A.M. Executive Committee Meeting
        > From 12:30 P.M. to 1:30 P.M. lunch will be served in the Garden
        Dining Room with guest speaker Marc Van Driessche on the topic: "FBI
        Centennial: Theodore Roosevelt and the Founding of the FBI".

        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2131/fc/Ioyw6iigh8tBbHI9iUId0iPEIJ
        RFbh9ND0HpULaOrd0QJ5ALtpn4tY/