RE: [tr-m] Re: Copyright Issue For TR

  • Russell, Greg
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
      Many thanks, indeed, for the prompt and helpful response. GR

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
        Russell -

        Re Question 1.
        You can write to
        Editor, Journal of the Theodore Roosevelt Association
        Theodore Roosevelt Association
        20 Audrey Avenue Oyster Bay, NY 11771-1532

        Re Question 2.
        Library of Congess. That famous photo is in the
        US Library of Congress (LOC) Collection,
        Prints and Photographs Division,
        Reproduction #:LC-USZ62-7220

        It can be seen on at least two LOC web sites
        Site 1.
        http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/trhtml/tr3.html

        and

        Site 2.
        US Presidents Photos Collection
        (including several other well known TR photos) at

        http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/list/057_pra5.html

        Note that if you click on that LC-USZ62-7220 number above that photo
        you will get much more detailed information. You can do the same with
        the other TR photos at that site.

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008

          Russell and all researchers -

          When you go to that Presidential Photos Collection site at

          http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/list/057_pra5.html

          you will notice that if you do click on that specific photo in the Presidential collection it indicates that there is "No known restrictions on publication"

          Specifically, the following page comes up:

          http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?pp/ils:@bandnot(@FIELD(NUMBER+3a09872)@FIELD(COLLID+cphx)) ."   where you see the following:

          TITLE:  [Theodore Roosevelt, full-length portrait, standing beside large globe, facing front]

          CALL NUMBER:  PRES FILE - Roosevelt, Theodore--Photo--Full <item> [P&P]

          REPRODUCTION NUMBER:  LC-USZC4-11867 (color film copy transparency)
          LC-USZ62-7220 (b&w film copy neg.)

          RIGHTS INFORMATION:  No known restrictions on publication.

          MEDIUM:  1 photographic print.

          CREATED/PUBLISHED:  c1903 Feb. 24.

          NOTES:

          A41808 U.S. Copyright Office.

          Photograph by Rockwood Photo Co.

          SUBJECTS:

          Roosevelt, Theodore,--1858-1919.
          Globes--1900-1910.

          FORMAT:

          Portrait photographs 1900-1910.
          Photographic prints 1900-1910.

          REPOSITORY:  Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA

          DIGITAL ID:  (color film copy transparency) cph 3g11867 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3g11867
          (b&w film copy neg.) cph 3a09872 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3a09872

          VIDEO FRAME ID:  LCPP003A-09872 (from b&w film copy neg.)

          CONTROL #:  96521983

          Keith