Copyright Issue For TR

  • Russell, Greg
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
      Two quick questions:

      1. Does anyone know who I should directly contact to secure permission to reprint an article that appeared some time back in the quarterly journal of the TR Association?

      2. I am also interested in securing permission to use the 1903 photograph of TR in the White House standing next to the huge globe.  I was not sure who held the copyright or who to contact (Harvard, Library of Congress)?

      Thanks for any insight here.  GR
    • Harry Lembeck

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
          Many thanks, indeed, for the prompt and helpful response. GR

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008
            Russell -

            Re Question 1.
            You can write to
            Editor, Journal of the Theodore Roosevelt Association
            Theodore Roosevelt Association
            20 Audrey Avenue Oyster Bay, NY 11771-1532

            Re Question 2.
            Library of Congess. That famous photo is in the
            US Library of Congress (LOC) Collection,
            Prints and Photographs Division,
            Reproduction #:LC-USZ62-7220

            It can be seen on at least two LOC web sites
            Site 1.
            http://lcweb2.loc.gov/ammem/trhtml/tr3.html

            and

            Site 2.
            US Presidents Photos Collection
            (including several other well known TR photos) at

            http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/list/057_pra5.html

            Note that if you click on that LC-USZ62-7220 number above that photo
            you will get much more detailed information. You can do the same with
            the other TR photos at that site.

            Harvard University has no copyright on that photo.

            Keith

            --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, "Russell, Greg" <grussell@...> wrote:

            > Two quick questions:
            >
            > 1. Does anyone know who I should directly contact to secure
            permission to reprint an article that appeared some time back in the
            quarterly journal of the TR Association?

            > 2. I am also interested in securing permission to use the 1903
            photograph of TR in the White House standing next to the huge globe.
            I was not sure who held the copyright or who to contact (Harvard,
            Library of Congress)?

            > Thanks for any insight here. GR

          • Keith Simon
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 6, 2008

              Russell and all researchers -

              When you go to that Presidential Photos Collection site at

              http://www.loc.gov/rr/print/list/057_pra5.html

              you will notice that if you do click on that specific photo in the Presidential collection it indicates that there is "No known restrictions on publication"

              Specifically, the following page comes up:

              http://lcweb2.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?pp/ils:@bandnot(@FIELD(NUMBER+3a09872)@FIELD(COLLID+cphx)) ."   where you see the following:

              TITLE:  [Theodore Roosevelt, full-length portrait, standing beside large globe, facing front]

              CALL NUMBER:  PRES FILE - Roosevelt, Theodore--Photo--Full <item> [P&P]

              REPRODUCTION NUMBER:  LC-USZC4-11867 (color film copy transparency)
              LC-USZ62-7220 (b&w film copy neg.)

              RIGHTS INFORMATION:  No known restrictions on publication.

              MEDIUM:  1 photographic print.

              CREATED/PUBLISHED:  c1903 Feb. 24.

              NOTES:

              A41808 U.S. Copyright Office.

              Photograph by Rockwood Photo Co.

              SUBJECTS:

              Roosevelt, Theodore,--1858-1919.
              Globes--1900-1910.

              FORMAT:

              Portrait photographs 1900-1910.
              Photographic prints 1900-1910.

              REPOSITORY:  Library of Congress Prints and Photographs Division Washington, D.C. 20540 USA

              DIGITAL ID:  (color film copy transparency) cph 3g11867 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3g11867
              (b&w film copy neg.) cph 3a09872 http://hdl.loc.gov/loc.pnp/cph.3a09872

              VIDEO FRAME ID:  LCPP003A-09872 (from b&w film copy neg.)

              CONTROL #:  96521983

              Keith