Re: [tr-m] Re: Ancestry question

  • Linda Milano
    Message 1 of 20 , Aug 5, 2008
      Thank you - I'll enter the info into my Roosevelt genealogy database - I've got over 17,000 people in there already - problem is the file is so large, it's getting unstable...

      Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 7:17 PM
      Subject: [tr-m] Re: Ancestry question

      The Roosevelts are related to Edith Wharton through Nicholas Guy
      Roosevelt 1883-1965. He was the son of Nicholas Latrobe Roosevelt
      (and brother of Henry Latrobe Roosevelt, Asst. Secy. of the Navy
      during FDR's administration) . He was graduated from Princeton in 1904
      and married Emily Wharton Sinkler (no issue that I know of). Mrs.
      Sinkler-Roosevelt was related to Edith Newbold Jones through her
      mother, Emily Wharton. She was the daughter of Thomas Isaac Wharton
      and Arabella Griffin. Thomas's parents were Isaac Wharton and
      Margaret Rawle. Isaac's parents were Joseph Wharton and Hannah
      Carpenter and his brother was Carpenter Wharton. Carpenter married
      Elizabeth Davis and begat John Wharton. John married Nancy Craig and
      had three children by her, one of whom was William Craig Wharton.
      William C. Wharton married Nancy Willing Spring by whom he had a son:
      Edward Robbins Wharton, husband of Edith Newbold Jones Wharton.

      BA

      --- In tr-m@yahoogroups. com, Linda Milano <lemilano@.. .> wrote:

      > I've been going through my computerized Roosevelt genealogy file
      that I began while working at the TRA. I've got almost 10,000 persons
      (not all directly related) and still can't find the connection to
      Edith Wharton. I've come up with Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr,
      plus the Puritan divine Jonathan Edwards, General Daniel Stewart, and
      a host of other interesting people. Plus Daniel Tyler, an ancestor of
      Edith Kermit Roosevelt through his second wife, had as his first wife
      the daughter of General Israel Putnam, the Revolutionary War commander
      in Massachusetts. Interestinger and interestinger.

      > Best,
      > Linda Milano

      of her family... it is a web of various direct and in-direct kinfolk.

      > For me, I have met a number of Roosevelt Cousins. Last
      year I ran into Glenn Roosevelt. We have a pending appointment to look
      over loose ends in the family charts... as Glenn is more related

      > to TR (The Oyster Bay side of The Family).
      >

      > Al (Alfred "Ed Moch" Cota)

      Roosevelts had
      > social standing that the newly rich 'upstarts' couldn't
      buy. The
      > specific line reads: "The Vanderbilts could not buy, after
      the fact,
      > a generalship in the American Revolution , or a seat at the
      > Philadelphia convention. Alice's ancestors had both."
      >
      > The wording and context leads me to believe that the
      ancestors
      > referred to are on the Roosevelt side rather than the
      Bulloch or Lee sides.

      > --MWA
      >
      > >Hello Mark;
      > >

      > > Can you be more precise as to ancestors mentioned in the
      book "Alice"?

      > >Alfred "Ed Moch" Cota
      > >
      > >--- On Mon, 6/16/08, Mark Arend <mwarend@centurytel . net>
      wrote:
      > >From: Mark Arend <mwarend@centurytel . net>
      > >Subject: [tr-m] Ancestry question
      > >To: tr-m@yahoogroups. com
      > >Date: Monday, June 16, 2008, 8:29 PM
      > >

      > >I've just picked up a copy of 'Alice' by Stacy Cordery.
      On page 2
      > >she mentions that among Alice's ancestors are a
      Revolutionary general
      > >& delegate at the 'Philadelphia convention' (I assume she
      means the
      > >Constitutional convention) implying that this comes from the
      > >Roosevelt side of the family. I don't remember reading this
      > >before. Anyone know who these would be?
      > >
      > >Mark Arend
      > >Oshkosh Wisc.
      > >
      > >Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside of a
      dog it's
      > >too dark to read.
      > >---Groucho Marx
      > >

      > Mark Arend
      > Oshkosh Wisc.
      >
      > Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside of a
      dog it's
      > too dark to read.
      > ---Groucho Marx

    • baby_afrika
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 5, 2008
        You're welcome. I keep track of everything on Ancestry.com myself. I
        did forget to mention that Nicholas Guy (and presumably Henry Latrobe,
        before he followed his father to the Naval Academy at Annapolis)
        studied and was graduated from St. Paul's School in New Concord, New
        Hampshire. He was in the same class as Teddy Robinson (whose brothers
        Monroe and Stewart also graduated).

        Henry Latrobe Roosevelt's son William Morrow (Latrobe) Roosevelt
        attended Pomfret School and followed his uncle to Princeton, class of
        1928. Henry Latrobe, Jr. started at Pomfret but transfered to
        Lawrenceville and was graduated from Princeton in 1931. I can't seem
        to find any record of when his son Henry Latrobe III was born, but his
        grandson Henry Latrobe IV was born in 1985 and followed him to
        Lawrenceville but not Princeton. Henry, Jr. had seven children in all
        with Vera Felicity Story, including oldest son Nicholas Story (1937)
        who named his son Nicholas Guy (1967) after his great-uncle.

      • Harry Lembeck
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 6, 2008
          So Edith Wharton was related to the Roosevelts through her husband Teddy?  Had she not married Teddy, there would have been no relationship?

          Harry Lembeck

          Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 7:17 PM

          The Roosevelts are related to Edith Wharton through Nicholas Guy
          Roosevelt 1883-1965. He was the son of Nicholas Latrobe Roosevelt
          (and brother of Henry Latrobe Roosevelt, Asst. Secy. of the Navy
          during FDR's administration) . He was graduated from Princeton in 1904
          and married Emily Wharton Sinkler (no issue that I know of). Mrs.
          Sinkler-Roosevelt was related to Edith Newbold Jones through her
          mother, Emily Wharton. She was the daughter of Thomas Isaac Wharton
          and Arabella Griffin. Thomas's parents were Isaac Wharton and
          Margaret Rawle. Isaac's parents were Joseph Wharton and Hannah
          Carpenter and his brother was Carpenter Wharton. Carpenter married
          Elizabeth Davis and begat John Wharton. John married Nancy Craig and
          had three children by her, one of whom was William Craig Wharton.
          William C. Wharton married Nancy Willing Spring by whom he had a son:
          Edward Robbins Wharton, husband of Edith Newbold Jones Wharton.

          BA

          --- In tr-m@yahoogroups. com, Linda Milano <lemilano@.. .> wrote:

          > I've been going through my computerized Roosevelt genealogy file
          that I began while working at the TRA. I've got almost 10,000 persons
          (not all directly related) and still can't find the connection to
          Edith Wharton. I've come up with Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr,
          plus the Puritan divine Jonathan Edwards, General Daniel Stewart, and
          a host of other interesting people. Plus Daniel Tyler, an ancestor of
          Edith Kermit Roosevelt through his second wife, had as his first wife
          the daughter of General Israel Putnam, the Revolutionary War commander
          in Massachusetts. Interestinger and interestinger.

          > Best,
          > Linda Milano

        • Linda Milano
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 6, 2008
            Yeah, that's about the size of it...

            There's also a boatload of Cranes - somehow, the author Stephen Crane, who wrote The Red Badge of Courage - is related, but haven't found him yet - it seems that every generation of the family has several named Stephen...

            Best,
            Linda

            Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 7:17 PM

            The Roosevelts are related to Edith Wharton through Nicholas Guy
            Roosevelt 1883-1965. He was the son of Nicholas Latrobe Roosevelt
            (and brother of Henry Latrobe Roosevelt, Asst. Secy. of the Navy
            during FDR's administration) . He was graduated from Princeton in 1904
            and married Emily Wharton Sinkler (no issue that I know of). Mrs.
            Sinkler-Roosevelt was related to Edith Newbold Jones through her
            mother, Emily Wharton. She was the daughter of Thomas Isaac Wharton
            and Arabella Griffin. Thomas's parents were Isaac Wharton and
            Margaret Rawle. Isaac's parents were Joseph Wharton and Hannah
            Carpenter and his brother was Carpenter Wharton. Carpenter married
            Elizabeth Davis and begat John Wharton. John married Nancy Craig and
            had three children by her, one of whom was William Craig Wharton.
            William C. Wharton married Nancy Willing Spring by whom he had a son:
            Edward Robbins Wharton, husband of Edith Newbold Jones Wharton.

            BA

            --- In tr-m@yahoogroups. com, Linda Milano <lemilano@.. .> wrote:

            > I've been going through my computerized Roosevelt genealogy file
            that I began while working at the TRA. I've got almost 10,000 persons
            (not all directly related) and still can't find the connection to
            Edith Wharton. I've come up with Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr,
            plus the Puritan divine Jonathan Edwards, General Daniel Stewart, and
            a host of other interesting people. Plus Daniel Tyler, an ancestor of
            Edith Kermit Roosevelt through his second wife, had as his first wife
            the daughter of General Israel Putnam, the Revolutionary War commander
            in Massachusetts. Interestinger and interestinger.

            > Best,
            > Linda Milano

          • Linda Milano
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 6, 2008
              We need to trade information - could you contact me off-list at lemilano@... ?

              Thanks much,

              Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 11:46 PM

              You're welcome. I keep track of everything on Ancestry.com myself. I
              did forget to mention that Nicholas Guy (and presumably Henry Latrobe,
              before he followed his father to the Naval Academy at Annapolis)
              studied and was graduated from St. Paul's School in New Concord, New
              Hampshire. He was in the same class as Teddy Robinson (whose brothers
              Monroe and Stewart also graduated).

              Henry Latrobe Roosevelt's son William Morrow (Latrobe) Roosevelt
              attended Pomfret School and followed his uncle to Princeton, class of
              1928. Henry Latrobe, Jr. started at Pomfret but transfered to
              Lawrenceville and was graduated from Princeton in 1931. I can't seem
              to find any record of when his son Henry Latrobe III was born, but his
              grandson Henry Latrobe IV was born in 1985 and followed him to
              Lawrenceville but not Princeton. Henry, Jr. had seven children in all
              with Vera Felicity Story, including oldest son Nicholas Story (1937)
              who named his son Nicholas Guy (1967) after his great-uncle.

              BA

              --- In tr-m@yahoogroups. com, Linda Milano <lemilano@.. .> wrote:

              > Thank you - I'll enter the info into my Roosevelt genealogy database
              - I've got over 17,000 people in there already - problem is the file
              is so large, it's getting unstable...

              > Linda Milano

            • baby_afrika
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 6, 2008
                Sure. :)

                BA

                --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, Linda Milano <lemilano@...> wrote:

                > We need to trade information - could you contact me off-list at
                lemilano@... ?

                > Thanks much,
                >
                > Linda Milano

              • baby_afrika
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 9, 2008
                  There probably is some other way but I haven't found it yet. I
                  thought I might have found something with Elbert Jones Roosevelt
                  (1797-1885) but I haven't done much research yet.

                  BA