RE: [tr-m] Re: From a NEW Member Seeking Help.

  • Henry Hendrix
    Message 1 of 19 , Jul 15, 2008
      When did he make this proposal in the second term?  What is your source?  I am very interested.
      VR
      Henry Hendrix
      CDR, USN (PhD)

      > To: tr-m@yahoogroups.com
      > From: patrickjhealy2001@...
      > Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 15:23:50 +0000
      > Subject: [tr-m] Re: From a NEW Member Seeking Help.
      >
      > He was incredibly visionary socially, politically, financially -- he
      > doubled his inheritance in twelve years -- and militarily. One of
      > his less well known proposals was for "a naval vessel devoted
      > exclusively to the transport, launching and landing of military
      > aircraft" which he put forward during his second term. As often
      > happens, Congress did not wish to spend the money.
      >

      > --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, Cam Lynn <camnpam@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Patrick,
      > >
      > > You aren't the first person to make these
      > observations/speculations
      > > but possibly the first to begin a novel considering the "what ifs".
      > >
      > > You are certainly correct in your opinion that Roosevelt was very
      > > perceptive and forward thinking regarding the world scene.
      > >
      > > I would encourage you to complete your project. I'm sure there are
      > > lot of us interested.
      > >
      > > Like many of us, you are another innocent victim that's been sucked
      > in
      > > to the bottomless pit of wanting to know more and more about
      > Theodore
      > > Roosevelt, his character and his times.
      > >
      > > Have a good time................
      > >
      > > Cam Lynn
      > > Brookings, OR
      > >

      > > On Jul 14, 2008, at 2:46 PM, Linda Milano wrote:
      > >

      > > > OK, here goes. TR came back from Europe in 1910, where he met
      > with
      > > > Kaiser Wilhelm and reviewed the troops with him.
      > > >
      > > > At that time, he cautioned that war was brewing in Europe and
      > that
      > > > the US should prepare, because we were going to be drawn into it
      > > > sooner or later.. He also cautioned to keep an eye on Japan.
      > > >
      > > > If you can get your hands on the collected letters of TR, you
      > should
      > > > read the one he sent to the King of England at the end of the
      > war.
      > > > It contains his recommendations about how the peace treaty
      > should
      > > > have been drawn up - if his recommendations had been adopted,
      > > > Germany and the Balkans would have been in much better shape,
      > which
      > > > would have warded off World War II.
      > > >
      > > > As far as the election of 1912, many men (women did not yet have
      > the
      > > > vote) voted on party lines, no matter how much those voters
      > liked
      > > > TR. If TR had run as a Republican, he would have won easily. As
      > it
      > > > was, Taft and Roosevelt split the vote, allowing Wilson to win.
      > > >
      > > > That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
      > > >
      > > > Best,
      > > > Linda Milano

      The i’m Talkaton. Can 30-days of conversation change the world? Find out now.
    • Patrick J. Healy
      Message 2 of 19 , Jul 15, 2008
        I read this sometime ago in an article from the naval institute. It
        also was mentioned in a film about aircraft carriers called "Wings
        Over Water". I am not ABSOLUTELY certain as to it's date, but it was
        near the end of his second term. The matter never got beyond the
        discussion stage in any case. The US Navy was at that time dominated
        by Mahanian Battleship Admirals, who had little faith or interest in
        the proposal, in 1910, the more peace-minded Democrats took control
        of Congress and his parsimmonous successor, Mr. Taft, finally
        cancelled the project.

        --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, Henry Hendrix <henryhendrix@...> wrote:

        > When did he make this proposal in the second term? What is your
        source? I am very interested.
        > VR
        > Henry Hendrix
        > CDR, USN (PhD)
        >

        > http://www.imtalkathon.com/?source=EML_WLH_Talkathon_ChangeWorld

      • Patrick J. Healy
        Message 3 of 19 , Jul 15, 2008
          Consider what a difference even one such vessel, no bigger than the
          original CV-1, USS Langley, might have made at the Battle of Jutland!
          Even if she had been relegated to spotter duties for the combined US
          and British Fleets, the reconnaisance service would have been
          invaluable and probably sealed the doom of the German High Seas Fleet.

          I have little doubt that this would have happened had he been returned
          to the White House in 1912. Perhaps the US Marines might also have
          mounted an Inchon-like amphibious attack at Savros Bay and also
          reversed the outcome at Gallipoli.

          Message 4 of 19 , Jul 15, 2008
            Could you remember the approximate time of the naval institute article?  Was in in Naval History or Proceedings?

            > To: tr-m@yahoogroups.com
            > From: patrickjhealy2001@...
            > Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 18:44:42 +0000
            > Subject: [tr-m] Re: From a NEW Member Seeking Help.
            >
            > I read this sometime ago in an article from the naval institute. It
            > also was mentioned in a film about aircraft carriers called "Wings
            > Over Water". I am not ABSOLUTELY certain as to it's date, but it was
            > near the end of his second term. The matter never got beyond the
            > discussion stage in any case. The US Navy was at that time dominated
            > by Mahanian Battleship Admirals, who had little faith or interest in
            > the proposal, in 1910, the more peace-minded Democrats took control
            > of Congress and his parsimmonous successor, Mr. Taft, finally
            > cancelled the project.
            >

            > --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, Henry Hendrix <henryhendrix@...> wrote:
            > >
            > > When did he make this proposal in the second term? What is your
            > source? I am very interested.
            > > VR
            > > Henry Hendrix
            > > CDR, USN (PhD)
            > >

            > > http://www.imtalkathon.com/?source=EML_WLH_Talkathon_ChangeWorld

            > <*> Your email settings:
            > Individual Email | Traditional
            >
            > <*> To change settings online go to:
            > (Yahoo! ID required)
            >
            > <*> To change settings via email:
            > mailto:tr-m-digest@yahoogroups.com
            > mailto:tr-m-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          • Linda Milano
            Message 5 of 19 , Jul 15, 2008
              I know he did express interest in the use of aircraft as a military option.  I'll have to look up the exact reference.  But I don't know of any specific reference to what we would today call an aircraft carrier.

              Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 1:23 PM
              Subject: RE: [tr-m] Re: From a NEW Member Seeking Help.

              Message 6 of 19 , Jul 16, 2008
                Linda,
                I am aware of the letter he wrote in 1897 about Professor Langley's experiments, but I did not come across anything remarkable with regard to him and aircraft and ships during his presidency.  In researching for my doctoral dissertation on Roosevelt's use of the Navy in his diplomacy I came up with tons of materials on battleships, destroyers, and submarines, but very little during his presidency on aircraft.  So, since I am in the final stages of getting a book out on this topic, if anyone comes across a specific piece of correspondence related to naval aviation, please let me know.
                VR
                Jerry Hendrix

                To: tr-m@yahoogroups.com
                From: lemilano@...
                Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 22:54:56 -0400

                Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 1:23 PM

> [...]

                > should
                > > > read the one he sent to the King of England at the end of the
                > war.
                > > > It contains his recommendations about how the peace treaty
                > should
                > > > have been drawn up - if his recommendations had been adopted,
                > > > Germany and the Balkans would have been in much better shape,
                > which
                > > > would have warded off World War II.
                > > >
                > > > As far as the election of 1912, many men (women did not yet have
                > the
                > > > vote) voted on party lines, no matter how much those voters
                > liked
                > > > TR. If TR had run as a Republican, he would have won easily. As
                > it
                > > > was, Taft and Roosevelt split the vote, allowing Wilson to win.
                > > >
                > > > That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

                Stay in touch when you're away with Windows Live Messenger. IM anytime you're online.
              • Patrick J. Healy
                Message 7 of 19 , Jul 16, 2008
                  I believe Proceedings.....it's been several years, but 2001 to 2003 is
                  a good time frame.

                  --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, Henry Hendrix <henryhendrix@...> wrote:

                  > Could you remember the approximate time of the naval institute
                  article? Was in in Naval History or Proceedings?

                  > http://www.windowslive.com/messenger/connect_your_way.html?
                  ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_messenger_video_072008

                • Patrick J. Healy
                  Message 8 of 19 , Jul 16, 2008
                    See United Technologies documentary "Wings Over Water". It is not
                    only an excellent exposition on the evolution of the naval air arm,
                    but of the US Navy over the entire last century.

                    --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, Henry Hendrix <henryhendrix@...> wrote:

                    > Linda,
                    > I am aware of the letter he wrote in 1897 about Professor Langley's
                    experiments, but I did not come across anything remarkable with
                    regard to him and aircraft and ships during his presidency. In
                    researching for my doctoral dissertation on Roosevelt's use of the
                    Navy in his diplomacy I came up with tons of materials on
                    battleships, destroyers, and submarines, but very little during his
                    presidency on aircraft. So, since I am in the final stages of
                    getting a book out on this topic, if anyone comes across a specific
                    piece of correspondence related to naval aviation, please let me know.
                    > VR
                    > Jerry Hendrix
                    >

                    > To: tr-m@...: lemilano@...: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 22:54:56 -0400Subject:
                    Re: [tr-m] Re: From a NEW Member Seeking Help.

                    > I know he did express interest in the use of aircraft as a military
                    option. I'll have to look up the exact reference. But I don't know
                    of any specific reference to what we would today call an aircraft
                    carrier.

                    > Best,
                    > Linda Milano

                    ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_messenger2_072008

                  • Linda Milano
                    Message 9 of 19 , Jul 16, 2008
                      Hi, Jerry!

                      That was the letter to which I was referring...

                      To: tr-m@yahoogroups. com
                      From: lemilano@optonline. net
                      Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 22:54:56 -0400

                      Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 1:23 PM

                    • RoginaJ@cs.com
                      Message 10 of 19 , Jul 18, 2008
                        Hi Patrick,

                        I can't help you on the military issues but,I don't believe TR ever actually took a degree from Columbia although he had attended for some period.

                        Good luck with the novel! Sounds facsinating. Just keep TR out of Morocco!!

                        Rogina

                      • Linda Milano
                        Message 11 of 19 , Jul 18, 2008
                          Nope, TR attended Columbia Law School, but dropped out before graduation - when he went into politics.

                          Sent: Friday, July 18, 2008 2:31 PM

                          Message 12 of 19 , Jul 18, 2008
                            He did that in his first term.....What about Constantinople?

                            --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, RoginaJ@... wrote:

                            > Hi Patrick,
                            >
                            > I can't help you on the military issues but,I don't believe TR ever
                            actually took a degree from Columbia although he had attended for
                            some period.

                            > Good luck with the novel! Sounds facsinating. Just keep TR out of
                            Morocco!!

                            > Rogina

                            Groups Links

                            Message 13 of 19 , Jul 29, 2008
                              Hi Patrick,

                              Got a bit confused - what are you saying he did in his first Term?

                              Rogina

                            • Patrick Healy
                              Message 14 of 19 , Jul 29, 2008
                                First Term was when he was involved in the Morrocco Crisis you mentioned.  My what-if focuses on Gallipoli and Constantinople -- as far as the Middle East goes!