TR in San Antonio

  • Aaron Bangor
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 21, 2001
      Hi all,

      I'm going to be visiting San Antonio soon and was hoping the city had a
      historical site or two about TR's visit there when he formed the Rough
      Riders. Does anyone on the list know of any TR-related sites I could visit?

      Thanks,

      Aaron
    • James M Gallen
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 21, 2001
        There is a plaque on the exterior wall of a hotel within a block or 2 of
        the Alamo which records that some organization of the Rough Riders took
        place within.

        Have a good time! It is a lovely city! Unrelated to TR, I would
        recommend Mission San Jose. It has been rebuilt to show what a Spanish
        Mission was like. The other mission churches in the area do not have the
        surrounding buildings.

        Jim Gallen

        On Sat, 21 Jul 2001 09:21:34 -0500 Aaron Bangor <abangor@...>
        writes:
        > Hi all,
        >
        > I'm going to be visiting San Antonio soon and was hoping the city
        > had a
        > historical site or two about TR's visit there when he formed the
        > Rough
        > Riders. Does anyone on the list know of any TR-related sites I
        > could visit?
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Aaron

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • TRA
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 23, 2001
          You could try the bar at the Menger Hotel, across from the Alamo.

          There is a Rough Riders Memorial...overgrown and crumbling, on a side street
          somewhere.

          San Antonio is filled with stories of the Rough Riders. If you visit the
          Missions outside of town, you'll hear plenty of (mainly apocryphal) stories.

          Best wishes from Oyster Bay,

          Linda E. Milano
          Assistant Director (516) 921-6319
          Theodore Roosevelt Assn. Fax: (516) 921-6481
          P.O. Box 719 E-Mail: TRA_Milano@...
          Oyster Bay, NY 11771-0719 web: www.theodoreroosevelt.org