Re: [tr-m] Ancestry question

    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 17, 2008
      Alice=s paternal grandmother, Martha (AMittie@) Bulloch Roosevelt (1834-1884), was descended from a Revolutionary War general, Daniel Stewart (1761-1829) on her mother=s side, and Archibald Stobo Bulloch (1730-1777), the first Revolutionary President (governor) of Georgia, on her father=s side. Archibald Bulloch=s son James became a Captain in the Continental Army at age 17.  James= wife, Anne Irvine (1770-1810), daughter of John Irvine, head of the Georgia Medical Society, was descended from the royal house of Scotland and, through Scotland, from the Plantagenets of England.  Alice was the 22nd great-granddaughter of another woman who was outstanding in her day, Eleanor of Aquitaine.

      There were several Roosevelts involved in civic government; I'll have to check exactly which one Prof. Cordery had in mind.  BTW, TR's brother Elliott was married to Anna Rebecca Hall, a descendant of Robert Livingston, the man who swore George Washington into office.

      Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 11:29 PM
      Subject: [tr-m] Ancestry question

      I've just picked up a copy of 'Alice' by Stacy Cordery. On page 2
      she mentions that among Alice's ancestors are a Revolutionary general
      & delegate at the 'Philadelphia convention' (I assume she means the
      Constitutional convention) implying that this comes from the
      Roosevelt side of the family. I don't remember reading this
      before. Anyone know who these would be?

      Mark Arend
      Oshkosh Wisc.

      Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's
      too dark to read.
      ---Groucho Marx

    • Emma Lathan
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 17, 2008
        I knew about Archibald Bulloch and Robert Livingston.  They were mentioned in David McCullough's 'John Adams.'  Adams seems to have gotten along with Bulloch well enough, but hated Livingston.  After reading Rob Chernow's 'Alexander Hamilton,' I get the sense that Livingston was not liked much, though he seemed to have been liked a lot better than Adams was.  The Livingston connection was I believe primarily how Eleanor Roosevelt qualified for membership in the DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution).

        Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 11:29 PM

        --
        "When we started skating, we had no role models in Poland to follow, we just had a wish."
        -- Zagorska and Siudek, 1999 World Bronze medalist-figure skating pair from Poland
        Always remember Ferengi Rule of Acquisition Number 76: Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies."
        - Quark (Deep Space Nine)
        "I had forgotten that men could not see unicorns. Just because they cannot see them does not mean they do not exist."
        - The Unicorn (The Last Unicorn)
        "Sometimes I think the universe just waits for me to get cocky."
        - Egon (The Real Ghostbusters cartoon)
        "A man is as happy as he makes up his mind to be."
        - Abraham Lincoln
        "Please try to understand before one of us dies..."
        - John Cleese as Basil Fawlty
        "Killing you is on our to do list. Please be polite and wait your turn. "
        - The Game Operation Division
        "I'm not going there to die. I just need to know if I was ever really alive."
        - Spike (Cowboy Bebop)
      • Harry Lembeck
        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 17, 2008
          Great stuff, Linda.

          Harry
          On Jun 17, 2008, at 12:28 PM, Linda E. Milano wrote:

          > Alice=s paternal grandmother, Martha (AMittie@) Bulloch Roosevelt
          > (1834-1884), was descended from a Revolutionary War general, Daniel
          > Stewart (1761-1829) on her mother=s side, and Archibald Stobo Bulloch
          > (1730-1777), the first Revolutionary President (governor) of Georgia,
          > on her father=s side. Archibald Bulloch=s son James became a Captain
          > in the Continental Army at age 17.  James= wife, Anne Irvine
          > (1770-1810), daughter of John Irvine, head of the Georgia Medical
          > Society, was descended from the royal house of Scotland and, through
          > Scotland, from the Plantagenets of England.  Alice was the 22nd
          > great-granddaughter of another woman who was outstanding in her day,
          > Eleanor of Aquitaine.
          >
          > There were several Roosevelts involved in civic government; I'll have
          > to check exactly which one Prof. Cordery had in mind.  BTW, TR's
          > brother Elliott was married to Anna Rebecca Hall, a descendant of
          > Robert Livingston, the man who swore George Washington into office.
          >
          > Best,
          > Linda Milano

        • Syberlux
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 22, 2008

            Hello Mark;

               Can you be more precise as to ancestors mentioned in the book "Alice"?

            Alfred "Ed Moch" Cota

            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 23, 2008
              'Fraid not. It was mentioned in a paragraph about the changes in New
              York society in the late 19th Century stating that the Roosevelts had
              social standing that the newly rich 'upstarts' couldn't buy. The
              specific line reads: "The Vanderbilts could not buy, after the fact,
              a generalship in the American Revolution , or a seat at the
              Philadelphia convention. Alice's ancestors had both."

              The wording and context leads me to believe that the ancestors
              referred to are on the Roosevelt side rather than the Bulloch or Lee sides.

              --MWA

              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 24, 2008
                In Hermione Lee's biography of Edith Wharton, there is mention of her
                great grandfather on her mother's side, Ebenezer Stevens, who served in
                the Revolutionary War and is shown in John Trumbull's paintings The
                Surrender of Burgoyne and The Surrender of Cornwallis. The family
                relationship between TR and Edith Wharton is something you always hear
                about, but I am unsure just how they were related. Assuming they were,
                Alice's ancestor, shared with Edith Wharton, might have been Ebenezer
                Stevens.

                Maybe someone can figure it out from the line from Stevens to Wharton:

                Ebenezer Stevens had a daughter, Mary Lucretia Lucy Ann Stevens.
                She married Frederick William Rhinelander.
                Their daughter was Lucretia Stevens Rhinelander
                She married George Frederic Jones.
                Their daughter was Edith Jones, who married Edward Wharton and became
                Edith Wharton.

                Good luck.
                On Jun 23, 2008, at 11:11 PM, Mark Arend wrote:

                > 'Fraid not. It was mentioned in a paragraph about the changes in New
                > York society in the late 19th Century stating that the Roosevelts had
                > social standing that the newly rich 'upstarts' couldn't buy. The
                > specific line reads: "The Vanderbilts could not buy, after the fact,
                > a generalship in the American Revolution , or a seat at the
                > Philadelphia convention. Alice's ancestors had both."
                >
                > The wording and context leads me to believe that the ancestors
                > referred to are on the Roosevelt side rather than the Bulloch or Lee
                > sides.
                >
                > --MWA
                >
                > >Hello Mark;
                > >

                > > Can you be more precise as to ancestors mentioned in the book
                > "Alice"?
                > >

                > >Alfred "Ed Moch" Cota

                Harry
              • Syberlux
                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 24, 2008

                  Hello Mark;

                     Nothing wrong with "Cousin Alice's" Bullock and Lee side of her family... it is a web of various direct and in-direct kinfolk.

                     For me, I have met a number of Roosevelt Cousins. Last year I ran into Glenn Roosevelt. We have a pending appointment to look over loose ends in the family charts... as Glenn is more related

                  to TR (The Oyster Bay side of The Family).

                  Al (Alfred "Ed Moch" Cota)

                  'Fraid not. It was mentioned in a paragraph about the changes in New
                  York society in the late 19th Century stating that the Roosevelts had
                  social standing that the newly rich 'upstarts' couldn't buy. The
                  specific line reads: "The Vanderbilts could not buy, after the fact,
                  a generalship in the American Revolution , or a seat at the
                  Philadelphia convention. Alice's ancestors had both."

                  The wording and context leads me to believe that the ancestors
                  referred to are on the Roosevelt side rather than the Bulloch or Lee sides.

                  --MWA

                  >Hello Mark;
                  >

                  > Can you be more precise as to ancestors mentioned in the book "Alice"?
                  >

                  >Alfred "Ed Moch" Cota

                • Linda Milano
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 24, 2008
                    I've been going through my computerized Roosevelt genealogy file that I began while working at the TRA.  I've got almost 10,000 persons (not all directly related) and still can't find the connection to Edith Wharton.  I've come up with Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr, plus the Puritan divine Jonathan Edwards, General Daniel Stewart, and a host of other interesting people.  Plus Daniel Tyler, an ancestor of Edith Kermit Roosevelt through his second wife, had as his first wife the daughter of General Israel Putnam, the Revolutionary War commander in Massachusetts.  Interestinger and interestinger.

                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 25, 2008
                      Maybe in the end the connection is nothing more than 6 degrees of
                      separation plus a tale so often told it has become gospel. Thanks for
                      all the work, Linda.

                      Harry

                    • Mark Arend
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 25, 2008
                        Thanks for checking.

                        --MWA

                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 27, 2008
                          Let's not forget that TR and FDR were fifth cousins and still referred to each other as cousin.  Actually, it was TR's sister Bamie who introduced FDR's parents to each other.

                          In her autobiography, Eleanor Butler Alexander Roosevelt (Mrs. TR, Jr.) mentioned that both she and Edith Roosevelt were descended from the same three Mayflower passengers - then went on to say that all the early settlers had huge families and they all intermarried with the huge families of other settlers - which I have been finding as I work on earlier ancestors.

                          It's gonna be there - but I've been finding some dead ends - one of Claes and Jannetje's daughters married Johannes Kip (of the family that the Kip's Bay section of Manhattan is named for) but can find no children of that marriage.

                          Still working on things.

                          Talk soon,

                          'Fraid not. It was mentioned in a paragraph about the changes in New

                          York society in the late 19th Century stating that the Roosevelts had

                          social standing that the newly rich 'upstarts' couldn't buy. The

                          specific line reads: "The Vanderbilts could not buy, after the fact,

                          a generalship in the American Revolution , or a seat at the

                          Philadelphia convention. Alice's ancestors had both."

                          The wording and context leads me to believe that the ancestors

                          referred to are on the Roosevelt side rather than the Bulloch or Lee sides.

                          --MWA

                          >Hello Mark;

                          > Can you be more precise as to ancestors mentioned in the book "Alice"?

                          >Alfred "Ed Moch" Cota

                        • baby_afrika
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 5, 2008
                            The Roosevelts are related to Edith Wharton through Nicholas Guy
                            Roosevelt 1883-1965. He was the son of Nicholas Latrobe Roosevelt
                            (and brother of Henry Latrobe Roosevelt, Asst. Secy. of the Navy
                            during FDR's administration). He was graduated from Princeton in 1904
                            and married Emily Wharton Sinkler (no issue that I know of). Mrs.
                            Sinkler-Roosevelt was related to Edith Newbold Jones through her
                            mother, Emily Wharton. She was the daughter of Thomas Isaac Wharton
                            and Arabella Griffin. Thomas's parents were Isaac Wharton and
                            Margaret Rawle. Isaac's parents were Joseph Wharton and Hannah
                            Carpenter and his brother was Carpenter Wharton. Carpenter married
                            Elizabeth Davis and begat John Wharton. John married Nancy Craig and
                            had three children by her, one of whom was William Craig Wharton.
                            William C. Wharton married Nancy Willing Spring by whom he had a son:
                            Edward Robbins Wharton, husband of Edith Newbold Jones Wharton.

                            BA

                            --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, Linda Milano <lemilano@...> wrote:

                            > I've been going through my computerized Roosevelt genealogy file
                            that I began while working at the TRA. I've got almost 10,000 persons
                            (not all directly related) and still can't find the connection to
                            Edith Wharton. I've come up with Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr,
                            plus the Puritan divine Jonathan Edwards, General Daniel Stewart, and
                            a host of other interesting people. Plus Daniel Tyler, an ancestor of
                            Edith Kermit Roosevelt through his second wife, had as his first wife
                            the daughter of General Israel Putnam, the Revolutionary War commander
                            in Massachusetts. Interestinger and interestinger.

                            > Best,
                            > Linda Milano

                          • Linda Milano
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 5, 2008
                              Thank you - I'll enter the info into my Roosevelt genealogy database - I've got over 17,000 people in there already - problem is the file is so large, it's getting unstable...

                              Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 7:17 PM
                              Subject: [tr-m] Re: Ancestry question

                              The Roosevelts are related to Edith Wharton through Nicholas Guy
                              Roosevelt 1883-1965. He was the son of Nicholas Latrobe Roosevelt
                              (and brother of Henry Latrobe Roosevelt, Asst. Secy. of the Navy
                              during FDR's administration) . He was graduated from Princeton in 1904
                              and married Emily Wharton Sinkler (no issue that I know of). Mrs.
                              Sinkler-Roosevelt was related to Edith Newbold Jones through her
                              mother, Emily Wharton. She was the daughter of Thomas Isaac Wharton
                              and Arabella Griffin. Thomas's parents were Isaac Wharton and
                              Margaret Rawle. Isaac's parents were Joseph Wharton and Hannah
                              Carpenter and his brother was Carpenter Wharton. Carpenter married
                              Elizabeth Davis and begat John Wharton. John married Nancy Craig and
                              had three children by her, one of whom was William Craig Wharton.
                              William C. Wharton married Nancy Willing Spring by whom he had a son:
                              Edward Robbins Wharton, husband of Edith Newbold Jones Wharton.

                              BA

                              --- In tr-m@yahoogroups. com, Linda Milano <lemilano@.. .> wrote:

                              > I've been going through my computerized Roosevelt genealogy file
                              that I began while working at the TRA. I've got almost 10,000 persons
                              (not all directly related) and still can't find the connection to
                              Edith Wharton. I've come up with Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr,
                              plus the Puritan divine Jonathan Edwards, General Daniel Stewart, and
                              a host of other interesting people. Plus Daniel Tyler, an ancestor of
                              Edith Kermit Roosevelt through his second wife, had as his first wife
                              the daughter of General Israel Putnam, the Revolutionary War commander
                              in Massachusetts. Interestinger and interestinger.

                              > Best,
                              > Linda Milano

                            • baby_afrika
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 5, 2008
                                You're welcome. I keep track of everything on Ancestry.com myself. I
                                did forget to mention that Nicholas Guy (and presumably Henry Latrobe,
                                before he followed his father to the Naval Academy at Annapolis)
                                studied and was graduated from St. Paul's School in New Concord, New
                                Hampshire. He was in the same class as Teddy Robinson (whose brothers
                                Monroe and Stewart also graduated).

                                Henry Latrobe Roosevelt's son William Morrow (Latrobe) Roosevelt
                                attended Pomfret School and followed his uncle to Princeton, class of
                                1928. Henry Latrobe, Jr. started at Pomfret but transfered to
                                Lawrenceville and was graduated from Princeton in 1931. I can't seem
                                to find any record of when his son Henry Latrobe III was born, but his
                                grandson Henry Latrobe IV was born in 1985 and followed him to
                                Lawrenceville but not Princeton. Henry, Jr. had seven children in all
                                with Vera Felicity Story, including oldest son Nicholas Story (1937)
                                who named his son Nicholas Guy (1967) after his great-uncle.

                              • Harry Lembeck
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 6, 2008
                                  So Edith Wharton was related to the Roosevelts through her husband Teddy?  Had she not married Teddy, there would have been no relationship?

                                  Harry Lembeck

                                  Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 7:17 PM

                                  The Roosevelts are related to Edith Wharton through Nicholas Guy
                                  Roosevelt 1883-1965. He was the son of Nicholas Latrobe Roosevelt
                                  (and brother of Henry Latrobe Roosevelt, Asst. Secy. of the Navy
                                  during FDR's administration) . He was graduated from Princeton in 1904
                                  and married Emily Wharton Sinkler (no issue that I know of). Mrs.
                                  Sinkler-Roosevelt was related to Edith Newbold Jones through her
                                  mother, Emily Wharton. She was the daughter of Thomas Isaac Wharton
                                  and Arabella Griffin. Thomas's parents were Isaac Wharton and
                                  Margaret Rawle. Isaac's parents were Joseph Wharton and Hannah
                                  Carpenter and his brother was Carpenter Wharton. Carpenter married
                                  Elizabeth Davis and begat John Wharton. John married Nancy Craig and
                                  had three children by her, one of whom was William Craig Wharton.
                                  William C. Wharton married Nancy Willing Spring by whom he had a son:
                                  Edward Robbins Wharton, husband of Edith Newbold Jones Wharton.

                                  BA

                                  --- In tr-m@yahoogroups. com, Linda Milano <lemilano@.. .> wrote:

                                  > I've been going through my computerized Roosevelt genealogy file
                                  that I began while working at the TRA. I've got almost 10,000 persons
                                  (not all directly related) and still can't find the connection to
                                  Edith Wharton. I've come up with Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr,
                                  plus the Puritan divine Jonathan Edwards, General Daniel Stewart, and
                                  a host of other interesting people. Plus Daniel Tyler, an ancestor of
                                  Edith Kermit Roosevelt through his second wife, had as his first wife
                                  the daughter of General Israel Putnam, the Revolutionary War commander
                                  in Massachusetts. Interestinger and interestinger.

                                  > Best,
                                  > Linda Milano

                                • Linda Milano
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 6, 2008
                                    Yeah, that's about the size of it...

                                    There's also a boatload of Cranes - somehow, the author Stephen Crane, who wrote The Red Badge of Courage - is related, but haven't found him yet - it seems that every generation of the family has several named Stephen...

                                    Best,
                                    Linda

                                    Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 7:17 PM

                                    The Roosevelts are related to Edith Wharton through Nicholas Guy
                                    Roosevelt 1883-1965. He was the son of Nicholas Latrobe Roosevelt
                                    (and brother of Henry Latrobe Roosevelt, Asst. Secy. of the Navy
                                    during FDR's administration) . He was graduated from Princeton in 1904
                                    and married Emily Wharton Sinkler (no issue that I know of). Mrs.
                                    Sinkler-Roosevelt was related to Edith Newbold Jones through her
                                    mother, Emily Wharton. She was the daughter of Thomas Isaac Wharton
                                    and Arabella Griffin. Thomas's parents were Isaac Wharton and
                                    Margaret Rawle. Isaac's parents were Joseph Wharton and Hannah
                                    Carpenter and his brother was Carpenter Wharton. Carpenter married
                                    Elizabeth Davis and begat John Wharton. John married Nancy Craig and
                                    had three children by her, one of whom was William Craig Wharton.
                                    William C. Wharton married Nancy Willing Spring by whom he had a son:
                                    Edward Robbins Wharton, husband of Edith Newbold Jones Wharton.

                                    BA

                                    --- In tr-m@yahoogroups. com, Linda Milano <lemilano@.. .> wrote:

                                    > I've been going through my computerized Roosevelt genealogy file
                                    that I began while working at the TRA. I've got almost 10,000 persons
                                    (not all directly related) and still can't find the connection to
                                    Edith Wharton. I've come up with Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr,
                                    plus the Puritan divine Jonathan Edwards, General Daniel Stewart, and
                                    a host of other interesting people. Plus Daniel Tyler, an ancestor of
                                    Edith Kermit Roosevelt through his second wife, had as his first wife
                                    the daughter of General Israel Putnam, the Revolutionary War commander
                                    in Massachusetts. Interestinger and interestinger.

                                    > Best,
                                    > Linda Milano

                                  • Linda Milano
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 6, 2008
                                      We need to trade information - could you contact me off-list at lemilano@... ?

                                      Thanks much,

                                      Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 11:46 PM

                                      You're welcome. I keep track of everything on Ancestry.com myself. I
                                      did forget to mention that Nicholas Guy (and presumably Henry Latrobe,
                                      before he followed his father to the Naval Academy at Annapolis)
                                      studied and was graduated from St. Paul's School in New Concord, New
                                      Hampshire. He was in the same class as Teddy Robinson (whose brothers
                                      Monroe and Stewart also graduated).

                                      Henry Latrobe Roosevelt's son William Morrow (Latrobe) Roosevelt
                                      attended Pomfret School and followed his uncle to Princeton, class of
                                      1928. Henry Latrobe, Jr. started at Pomfret but transfered to
                                      Lawrenceville and was graduated from Princeton in 1931. I can't seem
                                      to find any record of when his son Henry Latrobe III was born, but his
                                      grandson Henry Latrobe IV was born in 1985 and followed him to
                                      Lawrenceville but not Princeton. Henry, Jr. had seven children in all
                                      with Vera Felicity Story, including oldest son Nicholas Story (1937)
                                      who named his son Nicholas Guy (1967) after his great-uncle.

                                      BA

                                      --- In tr-m@yahoogroups. com, Linda Milano <lemilano@.. .> wrote:

                                      > Thank you - I'll enter the info into my Roosevelt genealogy database
                                      - I've got over 17,000 people in there already - problem is the file
                                      is so large, it's getting unstable...

                                      > Linda Milano

                                    • baby_afrika
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 6, 2008
                                        Sure. :)

                                        BA

                                        --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, Linda Milano <lemilano@...> wrote:

                                        > We need to trade information - could you contact me off-list at
                                        lemilano@... ?

                                        > Thanks much,
                                        >
                                        > Linda Milano

                                      • baby_afrika
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 9, 2008
                                          There probably is some other way but I haven't found it yet. I
                                          thought I might have found something with Elbert Jones Roosevelt
                                          (1797-1885) but I haven't done much research yet.

                                          BA