Ancestry question

  • Mark Arend
    Message 1 of 20 , Jun 16, 2008
      I've just picked up a copy of 'Alice' by Stacy Cordery. On page 2
      she mentions that among Alice's ancestors are a Revolutionary general
      & delegate at the 'Philadelphia convention' (I assume she means the
      Constitutional convention) implying that this comes from the
      Roosevelt side of the family. I don't remember reading this
      before. Anyone know who these would be?

      Mark Arend
      Oshkosh Wisc.

      Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's
      too dark to read.
      ---Groucho Marx
      Message 2 of 20 , Jun 17, 2008
        Alice=s paternal grandmother, Martha (AMittie@) Bulloch Roosevelt (1834-1884), was descended from a Revolutionary War general, Daniel Stewart (1761-1829) on her mother=s side, and Archibald Stobo Bulloch (1730-1777), the first Revolutionary President (governor) of Georgia, on her father=s side. Archibald Bulloch=s son James became a Captain in the Continental Army at age 17.  James= wife, Anne Irvine (1770-1810), daughter of John Irvine, head of the Georgia Medical Society, was descended from the royal house of Scotland and, through Scotland, from the Plantagenets of England.  Alice was the 22nd great-granddaughter of another woman who was outstanding in her day, Eleanor of Aquitaine.

        There were several Roosevelts involved in civic government; I'll have to check exactly which one Prof. Cordery had in mind.  BTW, TR's brother Elliott was married to Anna Rebecca Hall, a descendant of Robert Livingston, the man who swore George Washington into office.

        Message 3 of 20 , Jun 17, 2008
          I knew about Archibald Bulloch and Robert Livingston.  They were mentioned in David McCullough's 'John Adams.'  Adams seems to have gotten along with Bulloch well enough, but hated Livingston.  After reading Rob Chernow's 'Alexander Hamilton,' I get the sense that Livingston was not liked much, though he seemed to have been liked a lot better than Adams was.  The Livingston connection was I believe primarily how Eleanor Roosevelt qualified for membership in the DAR (Daughters of the American Revolution).

          Sent: Monday, June 16, 2008 11:29 PM

          --
          "When we started skating, we had no role models in Poland to follow, we just had a wish."
          -- Zagorska and Siudek, 1999 World Bronze medalist-figure skating pair from Poland
          Always remember Ferengi Rule of Acquisition Number 76: Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies."
          - Quark (Deep Space Nine)
          "I had forgotten that men could not see unicorns. Just because they cannot see them does not mean they do not exist."
          - The Unicorn (The Last Unicorn)
          "Sometimes I think the universe just waits for me to get cocky."
          - Egon (The Real Ghostbusters cartoon)
          "A man is as happy as he makes up his mind to be."
          - Abraham Lincoln
          "Please try to understand before one of us dies..."
          - John Cleese as Basil Fawlty
          "Killing you is on our to do list. Please be polite and wait your turn. "
          - The Game Operation Division
          "I'm not going there to die. I just need to know if I was ever really alive."
          - Spike (Cowboy Bebop)
        • Harry Lembeck
          Message 4 of 20 , Jun 17, 2008
            Great stuff, Linda.

            Harry
            On Jun 17, 2008, at 12:28 PM, Linda E. Milano wrote:

            > Alice=s paternal grandmother, Martha (AMittie@) Bulloch Roosevelt
            > (1834-1884), was descended from a Revolutionary War general, Daniel
            > Stewart (1761-1829) on her mother=s side, and Archibald Stobo Bulloch
            > (1730-1777), the first Revolutionary President (governor) of Georgia,
            > on her father=s side. Archibald Bulloch=s son James became a Captain
            > in the Continental Army at age 17.  James= wife, Anne Irvine
            > (1770-1810), daughter of John Irvine, head of the Georgia Medical
            > Society, was descended from the royal house of Scotland and, through
            > Scotland, from the Plantagenets of England.  Alice was the 22nd
            > great-granddaughter of another woman who was outstanding in her day,
            > Eleanor of Aquitaine.
            >
            > There were several Roosevelts involved in civic government; I'll have
            > to check exactly which one Prof. Cordery had in mind.  BTW, TR's
            > brother Elliott was married to Anna Rebecca Hall, a descendant of
            > Robert Livingston, the man who swore George Washington into office.
            >
            > Best,
            > Linda Milano

          • Syberlux
            Message 5 of 20 , Jun 22, 2008

              Hello Mark;

                 Can you be more precise as to ancestors mentioned in the book "Alice"?

              Alfred "Ed Moch" Cota

              Message 6 of 20 , Jun 23, 2008
                'Fraid not. It was mentioned in a paragraph about the changes in New
                York society in the late 19th Century stating that the Roosevelts had
                social standing that the newly rich 'upstarts' couldn't buy. The
                specific line reads: "The Vanderbilts could not buy, after the fact,
                a generalship in the American Revolution , or a seat at the
                Philadelphia convention. Alice's ancestors had both."

                The wording and context leads me to believe that the ancestors
                referred to are on the Roosevelt side rather than the Bulloch or Lee sides.

                --MWA

                Message 7 of 20 , Jun 24, 2008
                  In Hermione Lee's biography of Edith Wharton, there is mention of her
                  great grandfather on her mother's side, Ebenezer Stevens, who served in
                  the Revolutionary War and is shown in John Trumbull's paintings The
                  Surrender of Burgoyne and The Surrender of Cornwallis. The family
                  relationship between TR and Edith Wharton is something you always hear
                  about, but I am unsure just how they were related. Assuming they were,
                  Alice's ancestor, shared with Edith Wharton, might have been Ebenezer
                  Stevens.

                  Maybe someone can figure it out from the line from Stevens to Wharton:

                  Ebenezer Stevens had a daughter, Mary Lucretia Lucy Ann Stevens.
                  She married Frederick William Rhinelander.
                  Their daughter was Lucretia Stevens Rhinelander
                  She married George Frederic Jones.
                  Their daughter was Edith Jones, who married Edward Wharton and became
                  Edith Wharton.

                  Good luck.
                  On Jun 23, 2008, at 11:11 PM, Mark Arend wrote:

                  > 'Fraid not. It was mentioned in a paragraph about the changes in New
                  > York society in the late 19th Century stating that the Roosevelts had
                  > social standing that the newly rich 'upstarts' couldn't buy. The
                  > specific line reads: "The Vanderbilts could not buy, after the fact,
                  > a generalship in the American Revolution , or a seat at the
                  > Philadelphia convention. Alice's ancestors had both."
                  >
                  > The wording and context leads me to believe that the ancestors
                  > referred to are on the Roosevelt side rather than the Bulloch or Lee
                  > sides.
                  >
                  > --MWA
                  >
                  > >Hello Mark;
                  > >

                  > > Can you be more precise as to ancestors mentioned in the book
                  > "Alice"?
                  > >

                  > >Alfred "Ed Moch" Cota

                  Harry
                • Syberlux
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jun 24, 2008

                    Hello Mark;

                       Nothing wrong with "Cousin Alice's" Bullock and Lee side of her family... it is a web of various direct and in-direct kinfolk.

                       For me, I have met a number of Roosevelt Cousins. Last year I ran into Glenn Roosevelt. We have a pending appointment to look over loose ends in the family charts... as Glenn is more related

                    to TR (The Oyster Bay side of The Family).

                    Al (Alfred "Ed Moch" Cota)

                    'Fraid not. It was mentioned in a paragraph about the changes in New
                    York society in the late 19th Century stating that the Roosevelts had
                    social standing that the newly rich 'upstarts' couldn't buy. The
                    specific line reads: "The Vanderbilts could not buy, after the fact,
                    a generalship in the American Revolution , or a seat at the
                    Philadelphia convention. Alice's ancestors had both."

                    The wording and context leads me to believe that the ancestors
                    referred to are on the Roosevelt side rather than the Bulloch or Lee sides.

                    --MWA

                    >Hello Mark;
                    >

                    > Can you be more precise as to ancestors mentioned in the book "Alice"?
                    >

                    >Alfred "Ed Moch" Cota

                  • Linda Milano
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jun 24, 2008
                      I've been going through my computerized Roosevelt genealogy file that I began while working at the TRA.  I've got almost 10,000 persons (not all directly related) and still can't find the connection to Edith Wharton.  I've come up with Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr, plus the Puritan divine Jonathan Edwards, General Daniel Stewart, and a host of other interesting people.  Plus Daniel Tyler, an ancestor of Edith Kermit Roosevelt through his second wife, had as his first wife the daughter of General Israel Putnam, the Revolutionary War commander in Massachusetts.  Interestinger and interestinger.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Jun 25, 2008
                        Maybe in the end the connection is nothing more than 6 degrees of
                        separation plus a tale so often told it has become gospel. Thanks for
                        all the work, Linda.

                        Harry

                      • Mark Arend
                        Message 11 of 20 , Jun 25, 2008
                          Thanks for checking.

                          --MWA

                          Message 12 of 20 , Jun 27, 2008
                            Let's not forget that TR and FDR were fifth cousins and still referred to each other as cousin.  Actually, it was TR's sister Bamie who introduced FDR's parents to each other.

                            In her autobiography, Eleanor Butler Alexander Roosevelt (Mrs. TR, Jr.) mentioned that both she and Edith Roosevelt were descended from the same three Mayflower passengers - then went on to say that all the early settlers had huge families and they all intermarried with the huge families of other settlers - which I have been finding as I work on earlier ancestors.

                            It's gonna be there - but I've been finding some dead ends - one of Claes and Jannetje's daughters married Johannes Kip (of the family that the Kip's Bay section of Manhattan is named for) but can find no children of that marriage.

                            Still working on things.

                            Talk soon,

                            'Fraid not. It was mentioned in a paragraph about the changes in New

                            York society in the late 19th Century stating that the Roosevelts had

                            social standing that the newly rich 'upstarts' couldn't buy. The

                            specific line reads: "The Vanderbilts could not buy, after the fact,

                            a generalship in the American Revolution , or a seat at the

                            Philadelphia convention. Alice's ancestors had both."

                            The wording and context leads me to believe that the ancestors

                            referred to are on the Roosevelt side rather than the Bulloch or Lee sides.

                            --MWA

                            >Hello Mark;

                            > Can you be more precise as to ancestors mentioned in the book "Alice"?

                            >Alfred "Ed Moch" Cota

                          • baby_afrika
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 5, 2008
                              The Roosevelts are related to Edith Wharton through Nicholas Guy
                              Roosevelt 1883-1965. He was the son of Nicholas Latrobe Roosevelt
                              (and brother of Henry Latrobe Roosevelt, Asst. Secy. of the Navy
                              during FDR's administration). He was graduated from Princeton in 1904
                              and married Emily Wharton Sinkler (no issue that I know of). Mrs.
                              Sinkler-Roosevelt was related to Edith Newbold Jones through her
                              mother, Emily Wharton. She was the daughter of Thomas Isaac Wharton
                              and Arabella Griffin. Thomas's parents were Isaac Wharton and
                              Margaret Rawle. Isaac's parents were Joseph Wharton and Hannah
                              Carpenter and his brother was Carpenter Wharton. Carpenter married
                              Elizabeth Davis and begat John Wharton. John married Nancy Craig and
                              had three children by her, one of whom was William Craig Wharton.
                              William C. Wharton married Nancy Willing Spring by whom he had a son:
                              Edward Robbins Wharton, husband of Edith Newbold Jones Wharton.

                              BA

                              --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, Linda Milano <lemilano@...> wrote:

                              > I've been going through my computerized Roosevelt genealogy file
                              that I began while working at the TRA. I've got almost 10,000 persons
                              (not all directly related) and still can't find the connection to
                              Edith Wharton. I've come up with Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr,
                              plus the Puritan divine Jonathan Edwards, General Daniel Stewart, and
                              a host of other interesting people. Plus Daniel Tyler, an ancestor of
                              Edith Kermit Roosevelt through his second wife, had as his first wife
                              the daughter of General Israel Putnam, the Revolutionary War commander
                              in Massachusetts. Interestinger and interestinger.

                              > Best,
                              > Linda Milano

                            • Linda Milano
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 5, 2008
                                Thank you - I'll enter the info into my Roosevelt genealogy database - I've got over 17,000 people in there already - problem is the file is so large, it's getting unstable...

                                Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 7:17 PM
                                Subject: [tr-m] Re: Ancestry question

                                The Roosevelts are related to Edith Wharton through Nicholas Guy
                                Roosevelt 1883-1965. He was the son of Nicholas Latrobe Roosevelt
                                (and brother of Henry Latrobe Roosevelt, Asst. Secy. of the Navy
                                during FDR's administration) . He was graduated from Princeton in 1904
                                and married Emily Wharton Sinkler (no issue that I know of). Mrs.
                                Sinkler-Roosevelt was related to Edith Newbold Jones through her
                                mother, Emily Wharton. She was the daughter of Thomas Isaac Wharton
                                and Arabella Griffin. Thomas's parents were Isaac Wharton and
                                Margaret Rawle. Isaac's parents were Joseph Wharton and Hannah
                                Carpenter and his brother was Carpenter Wharton. Carpenter married
                                Elizabeth Davis and begat John Wharton. John married Nancy Craig and
                                had three children by her, one of whom was William Craig Wharton.
                                William C. Wharton married Nancy Willing Spring by whom he had a son:
                                Edward Robbins Wharton, husband of Edith Newbold Jones Wharton.

                                BA

                                --- In tr-m@yahoogroups. com, Linda Milano <lemilano@.. .> wrote:

                                > I've been going through my computerized Roosevelt genealogy file
                                that I began while working at the TRA. I've got almost 10,000 persons
                                (not all directly related) and still can't find the connection to
                                Edith Wharton. I've come up with Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr,
                                plus the Puritan divine Jonathan Edwards, General Daniel Stewart, and
                                a host of other interesting people. Plus Daniel Tyler, an ancestor of
                                Edith Kermit Roosevelt through his second wife, had as his first wife
                                the daughter of General Israel Putnam, the Revolutionary War commander
                                in Massachusetts. Interestinger and interestinger.

                                > Best,
                                > Linda Milano

                              • baby_afrika
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 5, 2008
                                  You're welcome. I keep track of everything on Ancestry.com myself. I
                                  did forget to mention that Nicholas Guy (and presumably Henry Latrobe,
                                  before he followed his father to the Naval Academy at Annapolis)
                                  studied and was graduated from St. Paul's School in New Concord, New
                                  Hampshire. He was in the same class as Teddy Robinson (whose brothers
                                  Monroe and Stewart also graduated).

                                  Henry Latrobe Roosevelt's son William Morrow (Latrobe) Roosevelt
                                  attended Pomfret School and followed his uncle to Princeton, class of
                                  1928. Henry Latrobe, Jr. started at Pomfret but transfered to
                                  Lawrenceville and was graduated from Princeton in 1931. I can't seem
                                  to find any record of when his son Henry Latrobe III was born, but his
                                  grandson Henry Latrobe IV was born in 1985 and followed him to
                                  Lawrenceville but not Princeton. Henry, Jr. had seven children in all
                                  with Vera Felicity Story, including oldest son Nicholas Story (1937)
                                  who named his son Nicholas Guy (1967) after his great-uncle.

                                • Harry Lembeck
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 6, 2008
                                    So Edith Wharton was related to the Roosevelts through her husband Teddy?  Had she not married Teddy, there would have been no relationship?

                                    Harry Lembeck

                                    Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 7:17 PM

                                    The Roosevelts are related to Edith Wharton through Nicholas Guy
                                    Roosevelt 1883-1965. He was the son of Nicholas Latrobe Roosevelt
                                    (and brother of Henry Latrobe Roosevelt, Asst. Secy. of the Navy
                                    during FDR's administration) . He was graduated from Princeton in 1904
                                    and married Emily Wharton Sinkler (no issue that I know of). Mrs.
                                    Sinkler-Roosevelt was related to Edith Newbold Jones through her
                                    mother, Emily Wharton. She was the daughter of Thomas Isaac Wharton
                                    and Arabella Griffin. Thomas's parents were Isaac Wharton and
                                    Margaret Rawle. Isaac's parents were Joseph Wharton and Hannah
                                    Carpenter and his brother was Carpenter Wharton. Carpenter married
                                    Elizabeth Davis and begat John Wharton. John married Nancy Craig and
                                    had three children by her, one of whom was William Craig Wharton.
                                    William C. Wharton married Nancy Willing Spring by whom he had a son:
                                    Edward Robbins Wharton, husband of Edith Newbold Jones Wharton.

                                    BA

                                    --- In tr-m@yahoogroups. com, Linda Milano <lemilano@.. .> wrote:

                                    > I've been going through my computerized Roosevelt genealogy file
                                    that I began while working at the TRA. I've got almost 10,000 persons
                                    (not all directly related) and still can't find the connection to
                                    Edith Wharton. I've come up with Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr,
                                    plus the Puritan divine Jonathan Edwards, General Daniel Stewart, and
                                    a host of other interesting people. Plus Daniel Tyler, an ancestor of
                                    Edith Kermit Roosevelt through his second wife, had as his first wife
                                    the daughter of General Israel Putnam, the Revolutionary War commander
                                    in Massachusetts. Interestinger and interestinger.

                                    > Best,
                                    > Linda Milano

                                  • Linda Milano
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 6, 2008
                                      Yeah, that's about the size of it...

                                      There's also a boatload of Cranes - somehow, the author Stephen Crane, who wrote The Red Badge of Courage - is related, but haven't found him yet - it seems that every generation of the family has several named Stephen...

                                      Best,
                                      Linda

                                      Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 7:17 PM

                                      The Roosevelts are related to Edith Wharton through Nicholas Guy
                                      Roosevelt 1883-1965. He was the son of Nicholas Latrobe Roosevelt
                                      (and brother of Henry Latrobe Roosevelt, Asst. Secy. of the Navy
                                      during FDR's administration) . He was graduated from Princeton in 1904
                                      and married Emily Wharton Sinkler (no issue that I know of). Mrs.
                                      Sinkler-Roosevelt was related to Edith Newbold Jones through her
                                      mother, Emily Wharton. She was the daughter of Thomas Isaac Wharton
                                      and Arabella Griffin. Thomas's parents were Isaac Wharton and
                                      Margaret Rawle. Isaac's parents were Joseph Wharton and Hannah
                                      Carpenter and his brother was Carpenter Wharton. Carpenter married
                                      Elizabeth Davis and begat John Wharton. John married Nancy Craig and
                                      had three children by her, one of whom was William Craig Wharton.
                                      William C. Wharton married Nancy Willing Spring by whom he had a son:
                                      Edward Robbins Wharton, husband of Edith Newbold Jones Wharton.

                                      BA

                                      --- In tr-m@yahoogroups. com, Linda Milano <lemilano@.. .> wrote:

                                      > I've been going through my computerized Roosevelt genealogy file
                                      that I began while working at the TRA. I've got almost 10,000 persons
                                      (not all directly related) and still can't find the connection to
                                      Edith Wharton. I've come up with Alexander Hamilton and Aaron Burr,
                                      plus the Puritan divine Jonathan Edwards, General Daniel Stewart, and
                                      a host of other interesting people. Plus Daniel Tyler, an ancestor of
                                      Edith Kermit Roosevelt through his second wife, had as his first wife
                                      the daughter of General Israel Putnam, the Revolutionary War commander
                                      in Massachusetts. Interestinger and interestinger.

                                      > Best,
                                      > Linda Milano

                                    • Linda Milano
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 6, 2008
                                        We need to trade information - could you contact me off-list at lemilano@... ?

                                        Thanks much,

                                        Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2008 11:46 PM

                                        You're welcome. I keep track of everything on Ancestry.com myself. I
                                        did forget to mention that Nicholas Guy (and presumably Henry Latrobe,
                                        before he followed his father to the Naval Academy at Annapolis)
                                        studied and was graduated from St. Paul's School in New Concord, New
                                        Hampshire. He was in the same class as Teddy Robinson (whose brothers
                                        Monroe and Stewart also graduated).

                                        Henry Latrobe Roosevelt's son William Morrow (Latrobe) Roosevelt
                                        attended Pomfret School and followed his uncle to Princeton, class of
                                        1928. Henry Latrobe, Jr. started at Pomfret but transfered to
                                        Lawrenceville and was graduated from Princeton in 1931. I can't seem
                                        to find any record of when his son Henry Latrobe III was born, but his
                                        grandson Henry Latrobe IV was born in 1985 and followed him to
                                        Lawrenceville but not Princeton. Henry, Jr. had seven children in all
                                        with Vera Felicity Story, including oldest son Nicholas Story (1937)
                                        who named his son Nicholas Guy (1967) after his great-uncle.

                                        BA

                                        --- In tr-m@yahoogroups. com, Linda Milano <lemilano@.. .> wrote:

                                        > Thank you - I'll enter the info into my Roosevelt genealogy database
                                        - I've got over 17,000 people in there already - problem is the file
                                        is so large, it's getting unstable...

                                        > Linda Milano

                                      • baby_afrika
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 6, 2008
                                          Sure. :)

                                          BA

                                          --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, Linda Milano <lemilano@...> wrote:

                                          > We need to trade information - could you contact me off-list at
                                          lemilano@... ?

                                          > Thanks much,
                                          >
                                          > Linda Milano

                                        • baby_afrika
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Aug 9, 2008
                                            There probably is some other way but I haven't found it yet. I
                                            thought I might have found something with Elbert Jones Roosevelt
                                            (1797-1885) but I haven't done much research yet.

                                            BA