[tr-m] TR and illness

  • Porkchop Smith
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 1999
      I studied T.R. because I have bipolar disorder (a mood disorder) and
      read that he did also. One writer (a doctor) made up a diagnosis for
      him called bipolar 2 B. The B stands for benevolent, which means that
      he used his high energy and creativity for the good of others.
      The writer also said Churchill had the same “benevolent” form of the
      disease.
      What I learned by studying TR was that he was willing to sacrifice
      himself and even die for the American people. The good of the American
      people drove all of his decisions. His spirit of self sacrifice is what
      kept his bipolar disorder under control. So did the loving support of
      his sisters, his wife and his children. There is nothing
      “benevolent”about bipolar disorder expect that it did provide TR with
      his high energy and his incessant talking. He only talked about
      subjects of interest to his listeners, something which is extremely rare
      in bipolar people. He was driven not by his disease, but by a higher
      purpose which was to serve his fellow man. He is such a good example to
      anyone with an illness. Only spiritual growth could help keep the
      disorder under control in those days. Nowadays you must take medication
      to control it.
    • peggyjackson@earthlink.net
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 8, 1999
        porkchop smith <porkcho-@...> wrote:
        original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/tr-m/?start=1

        Dear Mr. Porkchop,
        I don't know about your disorder but in the case of TR and Churchill, I
        would call it a gift--exceptional enery and extraordinary intelligence.
        It's a sad day when such a thing is considered a disease. Churchill
        did suffer off and on from "the black dog" --as he called his
        reappearance of a dispairing mood. He had reason to shift into
        despair-his burdens and responsibilities were monstrous. He managed it
        with creative activity. He kept busy and varied his
        activities--writing, painting, building brick walls, time with his
        family and of course politics--rather than the usual "rest and
        relaxation" of non-activity.
        Take care,
        Peggy