Joseph Bucklin Bishop

  • Chip Bishop
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 7, 2008
      My great grand uncle, Joseph Bucklin Bishop, was a close friend,
      confident, advisor to and first biographer of TR. I have begun to
      research a book on the TR-Bishop relationship. What do folks have to
      say about them, and specifically why was Bishop's biography "much
      maligned" by critics when it was published? Thanks to all.
    • Cam Lynn
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 8, 2008
        Chip Bishop----

        Well Chip I''ll offer some thoughts, but just keep in mind that they are anything but scholarly......

        I read over J.B.B.'s introduction to his Volume I, Theodore Roosevelt and his Time.  I was reminded that J.B.B. was yet another man that was utterly captivated by Roosevelt's charm and dimension.  Now J.B.B. was an astute man for his time and I'm sure not easily deceived or swayed by falseness.  He maintained a very close, intimate relationship with Roosevelt, and through this knew beyond any doubt that Roosevelt was a type of man rarely seen in human history.

        I would also assume that Roosevelt knew J.B.B. well enough to know that he could trust his friend to write an honest and accurate account of his life and that is why he asked J.B.B. to do so.

        Who knows why the book was maligned.  Theodore Roosevelt had detractors and some may have felt that this was a book glorifying a man that they didn't think much of.  Most of the books I have read about Theodore Roosevelt have portrayed him in a positive light and personally I believe that is an accurate and honest portrayal.  Some writers have been a bit too effusive in their praise and some of the best writers have taken great efforts to point out his faults--not to take away from his character or greatness, but simply to portray him as a human being.

        I hope you enjoy your research.

        Cam Lynn
        Brookings, OR

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 9, 2008
          Thank you Cam for your insightful reply. Yes, Bishop was a huge fan
          of TR and that was always reflected in his books. I'm curious about
          Bishop's role as a New York newspaper editor and the degree of
          journalistic objectivity he maintained and did not maintain during
          his friendship with Roosevelt. All thoughts welcomed.