Watches

  • C Turner
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 25, 2008
      Does anyone know the type/maker of pocketwatch
      Roosevelt wore, or the type/maker of his favorite
      pocket watch? Also, during WWI, did he start wearing
      a wrist watch?

      http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
    • Linda Milano
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 26, 2008
        TR did not wear a wristwatch, but I don't know offhand who made his pocketwatch.

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 26, 2008
          I have no basis to substantiate this, as I cannot recall the source, but I believe TR carried a Hamilton pocket watch.

          Ken Messina

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 26, 2008
            That was kind of an esoteric question.  You see the common pictures of TR with the Double Albert watch chain, along with pictures of him wearing Pince Nez glasses... however, he did wear "regular" glasses with the earpieces, especially in photographs taken during his later years.

            Since wrist watches came into existence during the period of WWI (the earliest being small “0” size pocket watches transitioned into wristwatches through various means), I was wondering if he was ever presented with one (like Lincoln and his Waltham William Ellery) or photographed wearing one.

            CT

            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 31, 2008
              Searching for Teddy Roosevelt 2.0
              http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2008/03/31/searching_for_teddy_roosevelt_20/

              Historian accused in TR theft
              Author accused of taking Roosevelt letter
              http://www.concordmonitor.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080330/LIVING/803300338