Bamie

  • historynursing
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 25, 2008
      Has anyone in the family stated that Bamie's back problem actually resulted from a fall as
      stated in some biographies or that she had a congenital condition?
      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 26, 2008
        As far as I know, it was a congenital condition.

        Sent: Friday, January 25, 2008 9:09 PM
        Subject: [tr-m] Bamie

        Has anyone in the family stated that Bamie's back problem actually resulted from a fall as
        stated in some biographies or that she had a congenital condition?

      • Tweed Roosevelt
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 26, 2008
          Modern medical opinion is that Bamie suffered from Pott's disease, a form of TB which resides in the bones and can cause, particularly if untreated, severe deformity.

          Has anyone in the family stated that Bamie's back problem actually resulted from a fall as
          stated in some biographies or that she had a congenital condition?

        • Linda Shookster
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 26, 2008

            Unfortunately, not all TR, Sr.'s correspondence before TR's birth has been maintained, and TR,Sr's letterbooks at the Houghton Library at Harvard only begin in 1869.

            From TR, Sr's correspondence with Mittie, the earliest mention of Bamie's illness was as of 5/31/1857, when Bamie was nearly 2 1/2. In addition, Dr. Charles Fayette Taylor, who was the only physician able to help Bamie, stated in his memoirs that she "had been in bed for a year with spinal disease" in the spring of 1859.  She was then nearly 4 1/2.  Taylor's statement implies that Bamie hadn't been bedridden until she was at least 3. She may or may not have had Pott's disease, but it is likely that she did have it, as it was very common at the time.  In the 1950's or 60's, one of the orthoaedic surgeons at Columbia-Presbyterian Medical Center (his dept. was the former New York Orthopaedic Hospital which Taylor founded with TR, Sr) maintained that Bamie did not suffer from Pott's, but his argument and diagnosis have been lost.

                                                  Best wishes, Linda

            See my posting at:

            http://oldnewyork.blogspot.com

            Laterally dated periodically!

          • kuniegel@verizon.net
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 16, 2012
              Years ago I believe I read a book by TR sister Bamie. Did she write a book? If you know:  What was the title and the copy right date (I can only put books up on the web pre 1923) . I purchase most of the books on my web site from Ebay but have not seen anything by her. If she did write a book where might I find a digital copy or a copy that someone may let me scan if it is not for sale?

              I have put off advertisement of my web site until I fund a High School $1000 essay contest for a PTA or PTO association ( This should happen before Summer). If their are no takers I will add to the contest until I get a taker. I am thinking I would like the school that wishes to do the essay contest to do a survey before and after asking who the Students think is the most influential President since 1900.

              The High School Essay book will be: The Boys' Life of Theodore Roosevelt, BY HERMANN HAGEDORN

              Members TRAmericanPatriot.Com will judge the essay contest. If you want to be part of Hermann Hagedorn's  wish to have students learn about TR's concept of good citizenship (Hagedorn was the founder of the Theodore Roosevelt Memorial Association). I hope those who wish to have students know more about TR will consider becoming a member of the web site to help judge the contest or to help find a High School that wishes the money.