Re: A School Boy's Paper on "TR as a Tyrannical Leader - Wikipedia Discussion

  • Keith Simon
    Message 1 of 13 , Jan 16, 2008
      PC-Correctness & Theodore Roosevelt? More evidence of the mind-
      numbing PC processes at work?

      Some good news is out there. As Harry intimated, execellent teachers
      CAN think for themselved. Not all teachers take place in this PC
      process. My twin brother, a Theodore Roosevelt Association member,
      Kevin Simon, is an award winning social studies-history teacher in
      Miami, Fl. He does an entire week on TR and he says that when he
      finishes his Friday summary on TR, every dang single time the kids
      stand up and give TR a rousing standing ovation and then they usually
      ask him, "OK, so Mr. Simon - why can't we find leaders who are as
      idealistic, visionary and pragmatic as TR?" Good vocabulary, huh?
      How'd you guess? - he teaches AP (Advanced Placement) braniacs, many
      of whom go to the best schools including the Ivy League and Military
      Service Academies. Some of the incredibly PC kids say negative
      things, but my bro, counters in his usual convincing way and the kids
      tell the whiner to sit down and shut the heck up, - nice tolerant
      comments like that! So it's really up to the individual teacher, but
      my brother says far too many teachers know little about TR. He says
      his sense of TR is so vivid that he thinks of him as someone who's
      just out of the country on one of his adventures or on a Safari and
      soon to be back next fall - as opposed to deceased nearly 90 years!

      --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, Harry Lembeck <harrylembeck@...> wrote:

      > Two or three messages have mentioned No Child Left Behind. I think
      > this has no place in a discussion of Theodore Roosevelt and the
      picture
      > of him that is taught in our schools. More relevant are the
      unceasing
      > culture wars. Theodore Roosevelt is buffeted by them and his
      memory is
      > reflected in them. How he is taught has nothing to do with No
      Child
      > Left Behind.
      >
      > I'll get to TR in a moment, but … Any teacher who teaches only
      what he
      > cribs from the internet, or who filters his teaching only through
      his
      > political/cultural identity, or who parrots only what he hears from
      > this or that pressure group he in is sympathy with is a bad teacher
      and
      > poorly serves his students and his profession. And such a teacher
      does
      > not last long in most school systems. If anyone thinks otherwise,
      > visit a school. School systems that have accepted that NCLB is the
      law
      > and has to be followed, and therefore have diligently worked with
      it,
      > have seen the results the law intended: fewer failures, a drop off
      in
      > drop outs, higher graduation rates, and more students going to
      college.
      > These are facts.
      >
      > Turning back to TR … To the rest of the world, as well as to his
      own
      > countrymen, Theodore Roosevelt was thought to be the best example
      of
      > the typical American. He represented what America was thought to
      be.
      > To the extent the special and unique qualities that were America
      and
      > still should be are tarnished by Americans, so too will be the
      memory
      > and legacy of Theodore Roosevelt. The special legacy of TR cannot
      be
      > nourished by his admirers if there is no parallel admiration for
      our
      > country and its legacy also as something special. If America is
      > thought to be just another country, no better than any other, then
      TR,
      > the typical American, is just another man.
      >
      > Harry
      >

      > On Jan 15, 2008, at 7:51 PM, Mark Arend wrote:
      >
      > > At 12:34 PM 1/15/2008, you wrote:
      > > >We must keep in mind that history is never static. It is a
      dynamic
      > > >subject that is impacted by a number of forces, such as
      historians,
      > > >current attitudes, and what appears on TV. Unfortunately due to
      the
      > > >current classroom atmosphere created by "Leave No Child
      Untested,"
      > > >many public school teachers fall back on regurgitating material
      they
      > > >read in a textbook or gather from an online source, which in
      turn
      > > >they call on their students to regurgitate.
      > > >

      > > I read an interesting book a while back: History in the making"
      by
      > > Kyle Ward. He looks at how different events in American history
      have
      > > been taught in textbooks over the past 200 years or so. Very
      > > interesting and enlightening.
      > >
      > > Mark Arend
      > > Oshkosh Wisc.
      > >
      > > Outside of a dog a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog
      it's
      > > too dark to read.
      > > ---Groucho Marx

    • gardunne63
      Message 2 of 13 , Jan 16, 2008
        --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Simon" <KSimon@...> wrote:

        "How'd you guess? - he teaches AP (Advanced Placement) braniacs, many
        of whom go to the best schools including the Ivy League and Military
        Service Academies. Some of the incredibly PC kids say negative
        things, but my bro, counters in his usual convincing way and the kids
        tell the whiner to sit down and shut the heck up, - nice tolerant
        comments like that! So it's really up to the individual teacher, but
        my brother says far too many teachers know little about TR. "

        Thank God for teachers like your brother. His students will
        remember him and cherish him. My favorite teacher in high school in
        the late 70's/early 80's was a TR worshipper and proudly told
        everyone. We spent several weeks in AP American history my junior
        year on the Gilded Age, TR, and the Progressive era. She talked of
        TR (she admonished any student who called him "Teddy") as though he
        were still alive. We students always thought she had a major crush
        on him.

        We studied for the AP exam all year but a few days before the test
        she gave us her tip on the multiple choice part of the exam: "When
        in doubt, it's probably Benjamin Franklin or Theodore Roosevelt. "