Re: [tr-m] New file uploaded to tr-m

  • Linda Milano
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
      TR had what was known as a "Knickerbocker" accent - upper class New York.  He, his wife, and his children all spoke with that accent.  If you watch the DVD "My Father the President" - an audio tour of Sagamore Hill given by his daughter Ethel Roosevelt Derby and set to video by filmographer Sid Kirkpatrick - you will hear the same accent.  His favorite granddaughter, Edith Derby Williams, speaks with the accent, also.

      What most people think of as a New York accent was either middle class or working class...

      Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 4:19 PM
      Subject: Re: [tr-m] New file uploaded to tr-m

      Keith, this was fascinating. His voice was not as high-pitched as I had read it was, nor was there the bombast associated with him. Instead, he patiently and diligently made his points. I wonder why he did not have a New York accent? He grew up in the city.

      Thanks for digging this up - and nappy new year.
      On Dec 29, 2007, at 1:28 AM, tr-m@yahoogroups.com wrote:

      Hello,

      a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the tr-m

      group.

      File : /TR Defends the Progressive Party Against Its Opponents.mp3

      Uploaded by : simonatl < KSimon@... >

      Description : An incredible 10 min 1912 audio recording of TR at his political best defending the Progressive Party against US political power brokers. Stand patters were those totally opposed to change. The Abyssinian Treatment refers to his unwillingness to treat with any special interest while President

      You can access this file at the URL:

      Regards,

      simonatl < KSimon@... >

    • Harry Lembeck
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 3, 2008
        Keith, this is all terrific stuff. You put in a lot of time, and we
        all appreciate it.

        By the way, overnight low was 16 degrees last night in Atlanta. Brrr.
        Harry

      • Harry Lembeck
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2008
          Sort of like FDR. Thanks, Linda. That was very interesting.

          Harry
        • Jeremy Johnston
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2008
            Keith,
            I concur with Harry! Thanks for handling all this tech stuff.

            Best,
            Jeremy

            P.S. Tell Harry when the temperature gets into the negative degrees, then he can complain!

            Jeremy Johnston
            Assistant Professor of History
            Northwest College
            231 West 6th Street