TR's Abbsyinian Speech

  • Keith Simon
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
      Harry - You hear a little of the famous TR falsetto when he starts
      getting emotional and says "Republican ParTEE" and he just can't
      contain himself.

      I laughed and laughed to hear him say words to the effect, speaking
      about getting a copy of the Congressional testimony from
      the "Standard Oil senator" and their lawyer, "you can GET a copy (of
      the Congressional Record testimony" from your SENATOR, unless he's
      a "stand-pat" (unbudging recalcitrant-unconpromising) SENATOR, in
      which case you probably CAN'T get it from him." Wow! The skill in
      which he martials his facts and the scorn he heaps on his opponents
      would make any trial lawyer blush with pride. Now I see how those
      poor NYC cops TR busted for corruption must have felt to have TR rage
      against their iniquities!

      And also about, these same 2 men coming forward to testify against
      the deceased former chairman of the Republican national
      Committee. "And NOW these 2 'brave souls' come forward to testify
      AGAINST a DEAD MAN!" Marcus Tulius Cicero, himself, did no better by
      way of the use of classical stylistic oratorical devices of irony,
      ect, in his orations against Catiline and Verres in the Roman Senate
      than TR did.

      I was laughing and cheering for TR at the same time. I don't think we
      have any finer existent audio recording capturing TR's command of the
      classic orator's skills. And add to that his legendary fist pounding
      and other theatrics and no wonder thousands turned out to hear him
      speak! Guess, I'm just an unabashed TR fan!

      Accent-wise, you hear that Harvard touch, actually. "Here and there"
      become Hee-ahr and They-ahr - almost British-like.

      Re videos - please check out that video of TR speaking at the 4th of
      July 1903 on Long Island. But BEFORE you do that, go to that link and
      download KPM Player which allows you to slow DOWN the video speed to
      80% and then you have TR actually moving in real-life speed. Soon I'm
      going to try to combine those 2 tracks to show what TR looked might
      have looked and sounded like on the stump. Both will be TR - but from
      2 different times!

      --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, Harry Lembeck <harrylembeck@...> wrote:

      > Keith, this was fascinating. His voice was not as high-pitched as
      > had read it was, nor was there the bombast associated with him.
      > Instead, he patiently and diligently made his points. I wonder why
      he
      > did not have a New York accent? He grew up in the city.
      >
      > Thanks for digging this up - and nappy new year.
      > On Dec 29, 2007, at 1:28 AM, tr-m@yahoogroups.com wrote:
      >

      > > Hello,

      > > a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the tr-m
      > > group.
      > >
      > > File : /TR Defends the Progressive Party Against Its
      Opponents.mp3
      > > Uploaded by : simonatl <KSimon@...>
      > > Description : An incredible 10 min 1912 audio recording of TR at
      his
      > > political best defending the Progressive Party against US
      political
      > > power brokers. Stand patters were those totally opposed to
      change. The
      > > Abyssinian Treatment refers to his unwillingness to treat with
      any
      > > special interest while President

      > > TR%20Defends%20the%20Progressive%20Party%20Against%20Its%
      20Opponents.mp
      > > 3
      > >
      > > To learn more about file sharing for your group, please visit:
      > > http://help.yahoo.com/l/us/yahoo/groups/original/members/web/
      > > index.htmlfiles
      > >
      > > Regards,
      > >
      > > simonatl <KSimon@...>

    • Linda Milano
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 2, 2008
        TR had what was known as a "Knickerbocker" accent - upper class New York.  He, his wife, and his children all spoke with that accent.  If you watch the DVD "My Father the President" - an audio tour of Sagamore Hill given by his daughter Ethel Roosevelt Derby and set to video by filmographer Sid Kirkpatrick - you will hear the same accent.  His favorite granddaughter, Edith Derby Williams, speaks with the accent, also.

        What most people think of as a New York accent was either middle class or working class...

        Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2008 4:19 PM
        Subject: Re: [tr-m] New file uploaded to tr-m

        Keith, this was fascinating. His voice was not as high-pitched as I had read it was, nor was there the bombast associated with him. Instead, he patiently and diligently made his points. I wonder why he did not have a New York accent? He grew up in the city.

        Thanks for digging this up - and nappy new year.
        On Dec 29, 2007, at 1:28 AM, tr-m@yahoogroups.com wrote:

        Hello,

        a file has been uploaded to the Files area of the tr-m

        group.

        File : /TR Defends the Progressive Party Against Its Opponents.mp3

        Uploaded by : simonatl < KSimon@... >

        Description : An incredible 10 min 1912 audio recording of TR at his political best defending the Progressive Party against US political power brokers. Stand patters were those totally opposed to change. The Abyssinian Treatment refers to his unwillingness to treat with any special interest while President

        You can access this file at the URL:

        Regards,

        simonatl < KSimon@... >

      • Harry Lembeck
        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 3, 2008
          Keith, this is all terrific stuff. You put in a lot of time, and we
          all appreciate it.

          By the way, overnight low was 16 degrees last night in Atlanta. Brrr.
          Harry

        • Harry Lembeck
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 3, 2008
            Sort of like FDR. Thanks, Linda. That was very interesting.

            Harry
          • Jeremy Johnston
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 3, 2008
              Keith,
              I concur with Harry! Thanks for handling all this tech stuff.

              Best,
              Jeremy

              P.S. Tell Harry when the temperature gets into the negative degrees, then he can complain!

              Jeremy Johnston
              Assistant Professor of History
              Northwest College
              231 West 6th Street