Re: [tr-m] Re: Alice--latest biography

  • Constance Moore
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 1, 2008
      The one fact I have noticed so far that is refuted is Senator Longworth's violin. It was not a stratovarius nor was it destroyed. Do you have other examples information that she found to be questionable or inaccurate?
      CJ

      On Monday, December 31, 2007, at 09:50PM, "Keith Simon" <KSimon@...> wrote:
      >This is a good question. TRA Executive Board member, Major Greg Wynn
      >read one of the final proofs of the book and found it excellent. I
      >believe he discussed it here in this Group a few months ago. As for
      >my personal opinion, I had read all earlier biographies and although
      >I really found the "Conversations with Mrs. 'L'" to have been the
      >best overall attempt to take the reader into Alice's inner life. It
      >was based on a series of personal interviews with Alice Roosevelt
      >Longworth extending over a period of 5 years. But no one until Dr.
      >Cordery has really captured Alice as she was, warts and all. Along
      >with other TRA members we had the opportunity to hear her lecture on
      >TR's Harvard years and his courting of Alice Hathaway Lee. We also
      >had the chance to speak with and congratulate her at the Theodore
      >Roosevelt Association's 2007 Annual Meeting in Boston while at a
      >symposium. (See photos from the 2007 meeting and of Dr. C in the
      >photos section in parallel TRA-specific Yahoo site, at
      >http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TRA-Moderated) and what he
      >book unique are 3 things. #1. For the first time, an Alice Roosevelt
      >Longworth (ALR) biographer has access to Alice's personal diaries.
      >#2. For the first time, an ALR biographer has had the full
      >cooperation of Alice's family, namely Alice's granddaughter, Joanna
      >Sturm and #3. Dr. Cordery's primary consideration was to tell the
      >story accurately. In other words, accuracy and historical fact (to
      >some reviewiers's annoyance) took precedence over the merely
      >entertaining and sometimes sensational aspects of earlier ALR
      >biographies. For all 3 of these reasons, this is the best bio of ALR
      >to date. See also the wikipedia article on ALR which is pretty good
      >with many photos of her that I uploaded in the past couple years.
      >
      >Keith
      >
      >--- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, "historynursing" <cjmoore50@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> I just purchased the newest biography about Alice. I there a
      >review by any one from the
      >> Association about the book? Is it considered an accurate
      >portrayal? Thanks

    • aedwardmoch
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 1, 2008
        To all;

        I am looking foward to reading the forthcoming Bio Publication on
        Alice. I hope that it will truly be a refreshing read on TR and
        extended family!

        As Always:

        Alfred "Ed Moch" Cota