Re: Searching for a quote

  • Keith Simon
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 25, 2007
      The one good place (but a bit tedious, because there's no search
      funtionality, unfortunately), is the (TRA) Theodore Roosevelt
      Association's on-line Roosevelt Cyclopedia which contains a
      alphabetized list, by topic, of TR's most notable quotes. For this
      link, go to http://www.theodoreroosevelt.org/TR%20Web%20Book/Index.html
      and let me know if that helps.
      --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, "rtobi25" <rtobias@...> wrote:

      > I am going nuts trying to find a Roosevelt quote. After John Muir
      chided TR in 1903 for
      > continuing to hunt, TR wrote (in a letter, I believe) that he was
      tired with killing and wanted to
      > give up hunting (which obviously he did not do). I remember reading
      the quote and have
      > been searching for it without luck. Does anyone know this quote or
      where it came from?

      > Ronald

    • Jeremy Johnston
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 26, 2007
        Ronald,
        I looked through the correspondence between TR and Muir and I did not see such a quote. In 1903, TR did receive a lot of criticism for trying to hunt cougars in Yellowstone National Park before going on to visit Yosemite with Muir. He may have made an off-hand comment about hunting vs. resting to the press to assure the public he would not be hunting in Yellowstone. This may be the source of the quote you are searching for. John Burroughs wrote about the public concerns of Roosevelt hunting in Yellowstone is his book Camping and Tramping with Roosevelt. This would be a good source for TR's perspective on hunting for the 1903 season. You may also want to look at the Works of Theodore Roosevelt. There is a wonderful essay written by TR on Muir.

        Best,
        Jeremy

        Jeremy Johnston
        Assistant Professor of History
        Northwest College
        231 West 6th Street
        Powell, WY 82435
        (307)754-6008
        jeremy.johnston@...
        Northwest College Homepage: www.northwestcollege.edu
        History Homepage: www.northwestcollege.edu/area/history

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 26, 2007

          Ronald:

          This is the only quote that I am aware of that comes close to what you are searching for. It is noted in the Theodore Roosevelt Cyclopedia and is reported to be from a letter that TR presumably wrote to H.K. Job that was used in the introduction to Job's book Wild Wings (1905).
                  "The older I grow the less I care to shoot anything except ' varmints.' I do not think it at all advisable that the gun should be given up, nor does it seem to me that shooting wild game under proper restrictions can be legitimately opposed by any who are willing that domestic animals shall be kept for food; but there is altogether too much shooting, and if we can only get the camera in place of the gun and have the sportsman sunk somewhat in the naturalist and lover of wild things, the next generation will see an immense change for the better in the life of our woods and waters."

          Hope this helps.
          John E.Willson

          rtobi25 <rtobias@...> wrote:
          I am going nuts trying to find a Roosevelt quote. After John Muir chided TR in 1903 for
          continuing to hunt, TR wrote (in a letter, I believe) that he was tired with killing and wanted to
          give up hunting (which obviously he did not do). I remember reading the quote and have
          been searching for it without luck. Does anyone know this quote or where it came from?

          Ronald

        • Steve Gluck
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 26, 2007
            Little did he know that that sentiment would become part of a
            movement that is turning this country into a nation of pure
            spectators; a developement that I believe would have truly alarmed
            him.

            S.