Re: [tr-m] Help with a translation

  • gclinton@law.upenn.edu
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 18, 2007
      Hi.
      I think the reference is to the pliability, softness, and flexibility of a
      banana, as opposed to have what TR referred to as "backbone," meaning strength
      and firmness.
      TR had quite a colorful voabulary. For instance, he once said a fellow
      politician "has no more backbone than a chocolate eclair." I think this banana
      comment is in that vein.
      Off the top of my head, I cannot recall if he ever said someone had a
      banana for a spine...Anone else know of that? Gary Clinton

      Quoting marketatepla <marketice@...>:

      > Hello,
      >
      > I'm working on a traslation of John Irving's novel The Cider House
      > Rules and there is a sentence I don't really understand.
      > Maybe it's just nothing, but I thought it could also be an allusion to
      > something I don't really get.
      >
      > Could anyone help me with it, please?
      >
      > Here is the sentence:
      > "The chairman of the state board of medical examiners was a retired
      > physician who thought that President Teddy Roosevelt was the only
      > other man in the world besides himself who had not been made from a
      > banana."
      >
      > The scene is set in about the beginning of the 20th century.
      >
      > Thank you very much in advance!
      >
      > MT

    • Mike Purdy
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 18, 2007

        The fellow politician that TR said had “no more backbone than a chocolate éclair” was none other than William McKinley.

        Mike

        Quoting marketatepla <marketice@email. cz>:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I'm working on a traslation of John Irving's novel The Cider House
        > Rules and there is a sentence I don't really understand.
        > Maybe it's just nothing, but I thought it could also be an allusion to
        > something I don't really get.
        >
        > Could anyone help me with it, please?
        >
        > Here is the sentence:
        > "The chairman of the state board of medical examiners was a retired
        > physician who thought that President Teddy Roosevelt was the only
        > other man in the world besides himself who had not been made from a
        > banana."
        >
        > The scene is set in about the beginning of the 20th century.
        >
        > Thank you very much in advance!
        >
        > MT

      • Harry Lembeck
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 19, 2007
          President Roosevelt appointed Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr. to the Supreme
          Court. He wanted to make sure Holmes thought "correctly" about matters
          that concerned the President, so with the help of Henry Cabot Lodge,
          held a secret meeting at Sagamore Hill with Holmes, where he questioned
          Holmes about his philosophy. Satisfied with Holmes's answers, the
          President made the appointment.

          Holmes turned out to be a disappointment in the Northern Securities
          case. Although the Court upheld the use of the Sherman Anti-Trust Law
          to break up the Northern Securities Company, the vote was close, 5-4.
          and Holmes was in the minority and wrote the dissenting opinion. TR
          was angry. Referring to Holmes, he said he could carve a stronger
          backbone out of a banana. Two years later, he was still angry, and in
          a letter to Lodge, TR complained that Holmes had been a disappointment
          to him.

          What I think the chairman of the board of medical examiners was saying
          was that only he and TR were men of strength and determination, i.e.,
          men with backbone, and one not carved from a banana.

          Best regards and good luck.

          Harry
          On Jul 18, 2007, at 5:49 PM, marketatepla wrote:

          > Hello,
          >
          > I'm working on a traslation of John Irving's novel The Cider House
          > Rules and there is a sentence I don't really understand.
          > Maybe it's just nothing, but I thought it could also be an allusion to
          > something I don't really get.
          >
          > Could anyone help me with it, please?
          >
          > Here is the sentence:
          > "The chairman of the state board of medical examiners was a retired
          > physician who thought that President Teddy Roosevelt was the only
          > other man in the world besides himself who had not been made from a
          > banana."
          >
          > The scene is set in about the beginning of the 20th century.
          >
          > Thank you very much in advance!
          >
          > MT

        • Gary Papush
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 19, 2007
            I'd suggest contacting Irving to ask him what HE meant when he wrote it.

            marketatepla <marketice@...> wrote:
            Hello,

            I'm working on a traslation of John Irving's novel The Cider House
            Rules and there is a sentence I don't really understand.
            Maybe it's just nothing, but I thought it could also be an allusion to
            something I don't really get.

            Could anyone help me with it, please?

            Here is the sentence:
            "The chairman of the state board of medical examiners was a retired
            physician who thought that President Teddy Roosevelt was the only
            other man in the world besides himself who had not been made from a
            banana."

            The scene is set in about the beginning of the 20th century.

            Thank you very much in advance!

            MT

            Yahoo! Answers - Check it out.