Role Played by the Boone and Crockett Club in Elkhorn Ranch Purchase

  • simonatl
    Message 1 of 7 , May 8, 2007

      Theodore Roosevelt founded the Boone and Crockett Club in 1887.  In the Club's words, "The Boone and Crockett Club is a non-profit organization founded in 1887 by Theodore Roosevelt. His vision was to establish a coalition of dedicated conservationists and sportsmen who would provide the leadership needed to address the issues that affect hunting, wildlife and wild habitat. "

      The Forest Service has announced its purchase of lands once comprising TR's Elkhorn at their web site located at http://www.usda.gov/wps/portal/!ut/p/_s.7_0_A/7_0_1OB?contentidonly=true&contentid=2007/05/0130.xml

      Earlier, at the Boone and Crockett's web site the following background info was released a month ago stating the role played by the club as follows:

      Elkhorn Ranch – "The Cradle of Conservation"

      April 16, 2007
      By

      Boone and Crockett Club

      When the Boone and Crockett Club facilitated a summit meeting of the leadership of 35 wildlife organizations in August of 2000 it was to bring unity to the future efforts on modern-day conservation groups. The results of this meeting was the formation of the American Wildlife Conservation Partners (AWCP). Over the last 22 months of campaigning the AWCP has secured the political will enabling the U.S. Forest Service to acquire Theodore Roosevelt's famed Elkhorn Ranch in North Dakota. This 24,550 acre property is where Theodore Roosevelt spent from 1884 to 1887 ranching and studying the West riding throughout the Dakotas, Montana, Wyoming, and Idaho. He witnessed first hand the destruction of the West's natural resources by railroaders, timber barons, miners, cattle and sheep herders overgrazing the range land, and commercial hunters. From his first hand observations in the saddle, he conceived the very notion of conservation of our natural resources as we know it today, and wrote 6 books on his observation. The Elkhorn Ranch is where the idea of conservation was conceived and born; hence it is called "The Cradle of Conservation" or "The Walden Pond of the American West."

      A major fundraising campaign is underway to facilitate the acquisition of the Elkhorn, and provide funds for habitat restoration, remediation, signage, and educational programs. The Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation is facilitating the purchase and serving as the "bank" for donations. If you are interested, please address your contribution to: Grant Parker, General Counsel, Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, 5705 Grant Creek, Missoula, Montana 59808. If you would like more information regarding this fundraising campaign, you may contact Lowell Baier, Executive Vice President, Boone and Crockett Club, 4909 Cordell Avenue, Bethesda, Maryland 20814; telephone 301-718-1800; LEBaier@....

      Source URL: http://www.boone-crockett.org/news/news_dc.asp?area=news

      A detailed history written by the club can be found at http://www.boone-crockett.org/about/about_overview.asp?area=about

      Subj: The Role Played by the Boone and Crockett Club in the Elkhorn Ranch Purchase

    • Michael Cawelti
      Message 2 of 7 , May 8, 2007
        Hello all,

        Tonight is the premier of "First Intervention: The Spanish American
        War", the film I was involved with. It is on The History Channel at
        9:00PM and is 3 hours.

        The version I saw (not sure if additional editing has been done) was a
        little controversial in it's telling of the history. Unfortunately, I
        think it is the Rough Riders who are a bit slighted in this re-telling.

        Cheers,

        Michael Cawelti
      • simonatl
        Message 3 of 7 , May 9, 2007
          Michael -

          So tell us how you were involved and how this project was concieved.
          The story's writers clearly tried to inject some balance into the story
          and to demonstrate what "terrible" imperialists the US was. The US was
          simply trying to get a piece of a proverbial pie long fought over by
          European powers since 1500 and by Greece and Persia, Rome and Carthage
          long before that. All this imperialism has to be seen within context.

          I suppose one corollary to modern times is the parallel is the problem
          the US had with the occupation of the Phillipines and the problems
          faced by the US in Iraq. In both cases the US underestimated the degree
          of resistance that would be encountered. Why this happened is another
          discussion.

          Thanks
          Keith

          --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, Michael Cawelti <captglover@...> wrote:

          > Hello all,
          >
          > Tonight is the premier of "First Intervention: The Spanish American
          > War", the film I was involved with. It is on The History Channel at
          > 9:00PM and is 3 hours.
          >
          > The version I saw (not sure if additional editing has been done) was
          > little controversial in it's telling of the history. Unfortunately,
          > think it is the Rough Riders who are a bit slighted in this re-
          telling.

          > Cheers,
          >
          > Michael Cawelti

        • simonatl
          Message 4 of 7 , May 11, 2007
            Michael -

            As an avid historian and TR fan, when I saw your portrayal of TR, not
            knowing of your involvement in the TRA nor the extent of your
            personal knowledge of TR, I said to my wife and family, "Now THAT's a
            man who is trying to portray TR right down to the Harvard Yard
            accent. That man knows his subject. Not only did you have the
            accent down, but your portrayal also captured TR's pyschology and
            tremendous energy and enthusiam for any cause which he believed in as
            well as his profound sense of moral righteousness about any cause in
            which he deeply believed in. A BRILLIANT portrayal that brought the
            man alive. Also, unlike some earlier portrayals I've seen, you
            captured his grace under pressure and his ability to make cogent
            decisions and to be able to analyze any situation he was in. In
            military terms, TR had great "situational awareness" and that came
            thru. Bully performance! PS - Check out our TRA-Moderated TRA-
            focused Yahoo group.

            Keith

            --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, Michael Cawelti <captglover@...> wrote:

            > Hello all,
            >
            > Tonight is the premier of "First Intervention: The Spanish American
            > War", the film I was involved with. It is on The History Channel
            at
            > 9:00PM and is 3 hours.
            >
            > The version I saw (not sure if additional editing has been done)
            was a
            > little controversial in it's telling of the history.
            Unfortunately, I
            > think it is the Rough Riders who are a bit slighted in this re-
            telling.

            > Cheers,
            >
            > Michael Cawelti

          • simonatl
            Message 5 of 7 , May 11, 2007
              Michael -

              Watched the premier last night and thought you were GREAT portraying
              TR. Overall, I found the series pretty interesting - especially
              the "you are there" approach that drew the audience into the
              picture. I think the story's writers seemed to have the agenda
              of trying to restore accuracy and better balance to role played by
              the 10th Cavalry's Buffalo soldiers. As one of the reenactors
              said, "our past was not forgotten, it was lost."

              I agree - less emphasis on the Rough Riders and more emphasis on
              everyone else BUT the Rough Riders, it would seem.

              Keith

              --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, Michael Cawelti <captglover@...> wrote:

              > Hello all,
              >
              > Tonight is the premier of "First Intervention: The Spanish American
              > War", the film I was involved with. It is on The History Channel
              at
              > 9:00PM and is 3 hours.
              >
              > The version I saw (not sure if additional editing has been done)
              was a
              > little controversial in it's telling of the history.
              Unfortunately, I
              > think it is the Rough Riders who are a bit slighted in this re-
              telling.

              > Cheers,
              >
              > Michael Cawelti

            • Michael Cawelti
              Message 6 of 7 , May 13, 2007
                Keith,

                Thank you for your kinds remarks on my performance. I had a wonderful
                time portraying TR for the film. It was a unique opportunity, and I was
                fortunate indeed to be a part of it.

                It is important to me that TR is portrayed realistically. Every child
                who sees history on the screen, subconsciously comes away with an
                "understanding" that THAT is how it was. And with TR's personality,
                there is no need to "spice it up"! I have a fiery aversion to the
                characature one sees so often portrayed - all teeth and "Bully!" every
                third word.

                I was therefore lucky and pleased that the director, Phil Tuckett,
                wanted to portray TR realistically in this film. The piece was
                beautifully filmed (I was able to see it on the big screen at the NFL
                Films' theater in N.J.) it really is stunning on the big screen. I
                thought many of the other actors did a fine job, and the reenacters were
                superb! They have so much knowledge on the history and spend a great
                deal of time worrying on their impression of the soldiers of this period.

                In fact, my friend Jack Stewart, the on-screen Rough Riders expert in
                the cowboy hat, had made the uniform I wore from the exact uniform cloth
                used during that period. He had it hand dyed, and all the brass collar
                pieces made. The uniform was going to go to a museum in Arizona, but
                after Jack saw me portray TR in 1997, he told me that more people would
                see it if I wore it... :-) It was a thrilling experience wearing that
                uniform aboard "Texas"riding up Kettle Hill for a Nationally televised film.

                There isn't a lot of footage of my ride that day, but being in the
                middle of 200 troops, running, yelling, and firing; with explosions
                going off all around me, and being the only one on horseback, I truly
                felt "the heart of the wolf". I also hoped to make it safely through
                the day. Credit to little Texas, he made it through 4 takes of the
                battle, before he let me know he was done for the day. :-)

                There is some controversial history telling in the piece. I think some
                of the accomplishments of the Rough Riders where shifted to the 9th &
                10th Cavalry by Dr. Poe. But the black troops certainly are due for
                recognition of their service in that campaign. And it is an interesting
                angle on the war. The Public has seen the RRs in the spotlight for 100
                years now... I think Phil was personally very fascinated by this aspect
                of the story of the war.

                I hope the film adds to the average person's understanding of their own
                history, of a pivotal time in the American story, and that my
                performance does a little justice to this country's greatest citizen.

                Cheers,

                Michael Cawelti
                "Col. Roosevelt"

                simonatl wrote:

                > Michael -
                >
                > Watched the premier last night and thought you were GREAT portraying
                > TR. Overall, I found the series pretty interesting - especially
                > the "you are there" approach that drew the audience into the
                > picture. I think the story's writers seemed to have the agenda
                > of trying to restore accuracy and better balance to role played by
                > the 10th Cavalry's Buffalo soldiers. As one of the reenactors
                > said, "our past was not forgotten, it was lost."
                >
                > I agree - less emphasis on the Rough Riders and more emphasis on
                > everyone else BUT the Rough Riders, it would seem.
                >
                > Keith
                >
                > --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tr-m%40yahoogroups.com>, Michael
                > Cawelti <captglover@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Hello all,
                > >
                > > Tonight is the premier of "First Intervention: The Spanish American
                > > War", the film I was involved with. It is on The History Channel
                > at
                > > 9:00PM and is 3 hours.
                > >
                > > The version I saw (not sure if additional editing has been done)
                > was a
                > > little controversial in it's telling of the history.
                > Unfortunately, I
                > > think it is the Rough Riders who are a bit slighted in this re-
                > telling.
                > >
                > > Cheers,
                > >
                > > Michael Cawelti

              • Michael Cawelti
                Message 7 of 7 , May 13, 2007
                  Keith,

                  All filmakers have beliefs/goals which they bring into a film project.
                  The anti-imperialism message would no doubt please those viewers upset
                  with our government's course of the last few years. I do agree that it
                  must be seen in context. We did give most of Cuba back in fairly short
                  order.

                  Almost all of TR's words were out of his writings. Although I did have
                  to improve a few scenes.

                  The project was concieved by Phil Tuckett, who had just read Morris'
                  T-Rex. He had just done a documentary for the history channel called
                  "My Father's Gun" (the story of a family of 4 generations of NY City
                  policemen). The History Channel gave him a larger budget to do this
                  piece.

                  The producers found me through the reenactors, who I have worked with
                  before at their National encampments. I was lucky I was involved, for
                  as I have no website (soon to change), they could not find me, although
                  they had heard of me. We connected at the 11th hour, and I seemed to be
                  who they were looking for.

                  I personally filmed for 9 days straight, 14 hours a day. I had to have
                  8 single spaced pages of dialogue memorized before I got there, and
                  received 3 more pages during filming. But it was a great deal of fun.
                  Unlike TR, I do enjoy a good cigar, and brought some nice ones down with
                  me. But I was so busy that I never had time to smoke one. :-)

                  I knew many of the people in the cast of reenactors, including Jack
                  Stewart, who wrote "Cowboys in Uniform". We go way back to the
                  beginnings of Cowboy Action Shooting; a shooting sport where the
                  competitors must dress in Old West attire. Greg (Charles Post), Ryan
                  (Stephen Crane) and Michael (Richard Harding Davis) were very
                  professional and fun to be around. We were the three musketeers on set,
                  and it was a true ensemble experience, each helping the other. The crew
                  were real pros, and the Director of Photography, Scott Duncan, is a
                  genius with a camera. Both he and Phil used to be cameramen at NFL
                  games. The benefit of which was that great battle footage with the
                  super slo-mo camera they have access to. They also found a 35mm hand
                  crank camera, which they did a lot of shooting with.

                  I was treated like the "star" of the film, which I didn't consider to be
                  the case, but that allowed me to go everywhere and see how it all
                  worked. I went up two times to N.J. to see versions of the footage, and
                  the mini premiere on the big screen.

                  I sent an article about the experience to the TRA Journal, but it was
                  just as Ed was leaving, so it is probably has been filed away
                  somewhere. I wrote it before I saw the finished piece. I think I'd
                  have to re-write a paragraph or two, now that it's finished and out.

                  Cheers,

                  Michael