RE: [tr-m] TR's Great Mistakes

  • Henry Hendrix
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 25, 2007
      Having just completed my doctoral dissertation on topics related to TR's
      diplomacy, with one chapter dedicated to his role in the negotiations of the
      Russo Japanese Peace Treaty, I can say that this is the first that I have
      heard of this theory. The facts don't bear it out well as the Japanese
      economy was very stressed, very little cash reserves which is one of the
      reasons the Japanese held out for so long in hopes of getting war
      reparations from the Russians. TR and some of his contacts did go to great
      efforts to line up loans for the Russians to pay reparations, but the
      Russians did not bend on this matter,
      vr
      Henry Hendrix
      Commander, USN
      CO Tacron 11

      >From: "Martin Bayerle" <bayerle@...>
      >To: <tr-m@yahoogroups.com>
      >Subject: RE: [tr-m] TR's Great Mistakes
      >Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 20:34:51 -0500
      >
      >Hello TR aficionados,
      >
      >Here's a little bit of unknown, likely but
      >still-to-be-more-fully-confirmed TR history:
      >
      >During the Russo-Japanese War, Japan had raised enormous war-chest funds
      >on the New York market. When peace was concluded in September, 1905,
      >$22 million remained to Japanese account in New York.
      >
      >This money was to be removed by Japan, for reinvestment in the Paris
      >market, to open that market for Japanese financial needs, a market which
      >had formerly been open only to Russian financial interests.
      >
      >This enormous amount of money removed from the New York market would
      >have jeopardized market stability. So, a cover-story was developed.
      >
      >This would have required TR's consent
      >
      >See, for references: http://rms-republic.com/details_expnimp3.html.
      >

      >Regards,
      >
      >Martin

      Win a Zune��make MSN� your homepage for your chance to win!
      http://homepage.msn.com/zune?icid=hmetagline