Re: [tr-m] Cartoons regarding reaction to Booker T. Washington and TR

  • jmgallen@juno.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 10, 2006

      I do not know where to look for cartoons, but my understanding is that the reaction among whites was, if not uniformly, at least widely unfavorable.  I have read that the black servants at the White House were also resentful.

      While it is true that TR did invite Washington, at least part of the reason was to develop support among Southern black Republicans to try to establish a power base with which to oppose the patronage based support loyal to Mark Hanna.  Although there were few Republicans in the South, they controlled substantial delegates at a convention.  Because of their small numbers, they could be bought off with patronage.  TR was worried that this block would be used by Hanna to deny TR the nomination in 1904.  I believe that it was crucial in Taft's renomination in 1912.

      The reaction was such that TR did not invite Washington or any other black to the White during the rest of his administration.

      Jim Gallen

      -- "doctorvote" <DRVOTE@...> wrote:

      I am interested in trying to find any cartoons related to
      Theodore Roosevelt and Booker T. Washington. I believe I have read
      the backlash in the South to Roosevelt hosting Booker T. Washington at
      the White House was near universal among whites. Clearly, among
      blacks,it was very, very popular.
      Would the best person to contact be Wallace Daily at Harvard
      Library? Or, should I inquire at the Library of Congress or the
      National Archives?

      All the best,
      John Olsen
      Ankeny, Iowa