Re: [tr-m]

  • Mary Beth Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 21, 2001
      Here is the letter I copied from the Colorado Springs site. You can go to
      the site and see it in TR’s handwriting. I went to the Library of Congress
      data base to discover what books he was refering to.

      TR’S LETTER TO THE PEOPLE OF 2001:

      Colorado Springs
      August 4th 1901

      I have come here partly to speak at the quarter centennial of Colorado as a
      State, partly to meet the men of my old regiment, the 1st USV cavalry, or
      Roughriders, at whose head I fought in the Spanish war. They are a splendid
      set of men, these grim hunters and miners of the mountains, these wild
      riders of the plains; with many and grave faults, but essentially men;
      fearless, steeled to the endurance of fatigue and hardship, resolute and
      hardy, loyal, and for all their ferocity in fight, yet gentle to women and
      children. I hope that a century hence their descendants, though gaining in
      all humanizing ways, though gentler and more refined, will not lose the
      whipcord fibre, the iron strength and courage of these pioneers and sons of
      pioneers. We cannot in the long run afford to have our people less than
      men; nor yet can we afford to have them other than good men.

      I have with me the Memoirs of Marbot*, the Saga of Burnt Njal*, and
      Longfellows poem; and I am about to start with the grayhounds for a wolf
      hunt. May you who chance to read this enjoy life as much as I have enjoyed
      it; and work as hard!
      Theodore Roosevelt
      Vice President - USA

      REFERENCES FROM THE LIBRARY OF CONGRESS DATA BASE:

      *The memoirs of Baron de Marbot : (1782-1854) late lieutenant-general
      in the French army / tr.
      from the French by Arthur John
      Butler.

      Published/Created: London ; New York : Longmans,
      Green and Co., 1892.

      *The story of Burnt Njal, the great Icelandic tribune,
      jurist, and counsellor.

      Published/Created: London, New York [etc.]
      Norroena society, 1906.
      On Sun, 07 Jan 2001 04:11:22 -0000, tr-m@egroups.com wrote:

      > --- In tr-m@egroups.com, "Kevin Amadio" <kamadio@v...> wrote:
      > > I e-mailed the College. They said it would be scanned and will
      > be available
      > > on line. This is their reply:
      > >
      > > "Yes, the letter will be online. Keep checking our Web
      > site for
      > > periodic
      > > updates on what we found inside the chest:
      > >
      > http://www.ColoradoCollege.edu/AboutCC/CenturyChest/
      > >
      > > You can also access scanned items through the special
      > > collections site of
      > > Tutt Library, also on the CC Web.
      > >
      > Thank you! I had a 'big' interest in reading the letter, too but
      > found it not online. Thanks for making the email, I will look
      > forward to reading it.
      >
      > Jonathan

      Send a cool gift with your E-Card
      http://www.bluemountain.com/giftcenter/