RE: [tr-m] Re: Books on TR

  • jmgallen@juno.com
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 3, 2006

      There is at least one biography of TR, Jr., In the Roughrider's Shadow: The Story of Theodore Roosevelt Jr. -- War Hero (Paperback)
      by H. Paul Jeffers

      I have not read it but have seen references to it.

      Jim Gallen

      -- "A. Edward Moch" <aedwardmoch@...> wrote:

      Hello Andreas:
         Yes... I happen to agree that Hagedorn's book on the TR's Family is a good down to earth read, as I myself have a copy.

         I did happen to vist TR's estate decades ago when I was a young teenager...

      There is not much written directly on TR's Son, Gen. Theodore Roosevelt Jr., and I refer back to this book at times, to get a better understanding of my so-called Roosevelt cousins... especially the interaction- friendship between Gen. TR Jr., and my Grandfather Gen. Norman Cota during WWII.

         How much, if at all did my Grandfather ever meet TR Sr. I am not sure, but definately both of them did talk about TR Sr. in some matter..

      Best Regards;

      Alfred "Ed Moch" Cota

      Andreas Gauf <andreas_gauf@ yahoo.de> wrote:

      I like Hermann Hagedorn's "The Roosevelt family of
      Sagamore Hill" very much. Very emotional, very
      personal, family stories. Less "big politics". But you
      need an antique shop to find it (or the internet).

      It is like wine. The "best" is impossible to find.
      There are too many good ones. McCullough, Ed Renehan,
      Brands, Dalton,....

      Regards,
      Andreas

      --- trsmacintosh <ricosmac@mac. com> schrieb:

      > Either of the Edmund Morris books on TR, "The Rise
      > of Theodore Roosevelt" or "Theodore
      > Rex" are excellent. That's where I got my start on
      > TR.
      > --- In tr-m@yahoogroups. com, "beancounter519"
      > <beancounter519@ ...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Can anyone recommend a good book on TR?
      > >
      > > I am looking for a good TR read to add to my
      > Christmas list.
      > >
      > > Thank you,
      > >
      > > Gery Vink

      Visit my website at http://de.geocities .com/andreas_ gauf

      Telefonate ohne weitere Kosten vom PC zum PC: http://messenger. yahoo.de

    • Edward J. Renehan Jr.
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 3, 2006
        One has to be careful of Jeffers' TR Jr. bio. Lots of errors. Dear old John Gable used to froth at the mouth at the mention of that book. - EJR

        -- "A. Edward Moch" <aedwardmoch@ yahoo.com> wrote:
        Hello Andreas:
           Yes... I happen to agree that Hagedorn's book on the TR's Family is a good down to earth read, as I myself have a copy.

           I did happen to vist TR's estate decades ago when I was a young teenager...

        There is not much written directly on TR's Son, Gen. Theodore Roosevelt Jr., and I refer back to this book at times, to get a better understanding of my so-called Roosevelt cousins... especially the interaction- friendship between Gen. TR Jr., and my Grandfather Gen. Norman Cota during WWII.

           How much, if at all did my Grandfather ever meet TR Sr. I am not sure, but definately both of them did talk about TR Sr. in some matter..

        Best Regards;

        Alfred "Ed Moch" Cota

        Andreas Gauf <andreas_gauf@ yahoo.de> wrote:

        I like Hermann Hagedorn's "The Roosevelt family of
        Sagamore Hill" very much. Very emotional, very
        personal, family stories. Less "big politics". But you
        need an antique shop to find it (or the internet).

        It is like wine. The "best" is impossible to find.
        There are too many good ones. McCullough, Ed Renehan,
        Brands, Dalton,....

        Regards,
        Andreas

        --- trsmacintosh <ricosmac@mac. com> schrieb:

        > Either of the Edmund Morris books on TR, "The Rise
        > of Theodore Roosevelt" or "Theodore
        > Rex" are excellent. That's where I got my start on
        > TR.
        > --- In tr-m@yahoogroups. com, "beancounter519"
        > <beancounter519@ ...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Can anyone recommend a good book on TR?
        > >
        > > I am looking for a good TR read to add to my
        > Christmas list.
        > >
        > > Thank you,
        > >
        > > Gery Vink

        Visit my website at http://de.geocities .com/andreas_ gauf

        Telefonate ohne weitere Kosten vom PC zum PC: http://messenger. yahoo.de

        ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ______
        Visit http://www.juno. com/value to sign up today!

        Edward J. Renehan Jr.
             e-mail/erenehan@...

        CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this e-mail  message and any attachment(s) is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s), which is confidential and/or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this e-mail information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you for your cooperation.

      • A. Edward Moch
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 4, 2006
          Hello Jim;

             Thank you for the information on TR Jr's Bio  "Shadow". I have found an interesting source of information on both TR Sr., TR Jr. and family by way of "Cousin Eleanore"... that's TR Jr's wife, Eleanore Butler Alexander-Roosevelt.
             She did a auto-bio of sorts about herself, TR Jr and family. Being the Daughter-in-Law of  TR The Man, her book goes into more of the family relations that the politics of her family.
             If I recall??? I think she claimed that there is a direct "cousin connection" to her Mother-In-Law, Edith Carrow-Roosevelt.
             There are some family photo's in her book too... ie: A child photo Eleanore with her mother, Grace Green-Alexander, as well as a child photo of TR Jr. with his Dad.

          Respectfully;

          Al (A. Edward Moch)

          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 4, 2006

            Ed,

            Thanks for the warning.

            Jim Gallen

            "jmgallen@juno. com" <JMGallen@Juno. com> wrote:

            There is at least one biography of TR, Jr., In the Roughrider's Shadow: The Story of Theodore Roosevelt Jr. -- War Hero (Paperback)
            by H. Paul Jeffers
            I have not read it but have seen references to it.
            Jim Gallen

            -- "A. Edward Moch" <aedwardmoch@ yahoo.com> wrote:
            Hello Andreas:
               Yes... I happen to agree that Hagedorn's book on the TR's Family is a good down to earth read, as I myself have a copy.

               I did happen to vist TR's estate decades ago when I was a young teenager...

            There is not much written directly on TR's Son, Gen. Theodore Roosevelt Jr., and I refer back to this book at times, to get a better understanding of my so-called Roosevelt cousins... especially the interaction- friendship between Gen. TR Jr., and my Grandfather Gen. Norman Cota during WWII.

               How much, if at all did my Grandfather ever meet TR Sr. I am not sure, but definately both of them did talk about TR Sr. in some matter..

            Best Regards;

            Alfred "Ed Moch" Cota

            Andreas Gauf <andreas_gauf@ yahoo.de> wrote:

            I like Hermann Hagedorn's "The Roosevelt family of
            Sagamore Hill" very much. Very emotional, very
            personal, family stories. Less "big politics". But you
            need an antique shop to find it (or the internet).

            It is like wine. The "best" is impossible to find.
            There are too many good ones. McCullough, Ed Renehan,
            Brands, Dalton,....

            Regards,
            Andreas

            --- trsmacintosh <ricosmac@mac. com> schrieb:

            > Either of the Edmund Morris books on TR, "The Rise
            > of Theodore Roosevelt" or "Theodore
            > Rex" are excellent. That's where I got my start on
            > TR.
            > --- In tr-m@yahoogroups. com, "beancounter519"
            > <beancounter519@ ...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Can anyone recommend a good book on TR?
            > >
            > > I am looking for a good TR read to add to my
            > Christmas list.
            > >
            > > Thank you,
            > >
            > > Gery Vink

            Visit my website at http://de.geocities .com/andreas_ gauf

            Telefonate ohne weitere Kosten vom PC zum PC: http://messenger. yahoo.de

            ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ______
            Visit http://www.juno. com/value to sign up today!

            ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* **
            Edward J. Renehan Jr.
                 e-mail/erenehan@yahoo. com

            CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this e-mail  message and any attachment(s) is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) , which is confidential and/or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this e-mail information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you for your cooperation.

          • Mike Purdy
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 7, 2006
              When Trumpets Call, Theodore Roosevelt After the White
              House, by Patricia O'Toole is outstanding. It is a
              wonderful read and flows like the good story that it
              is. Great use of language.

              Mike

              --- beancounter519 <beancounter519@...> wrote:

              > Can anyone recommend a good book on TR?
              >
              > I am looking for a good TR read to add to my
              > Christmas list.
              >
              > Thank you,
              >
              > Gery Vink

            • Cam and Pam Lynn
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 20, 2006
                RE: [tr-m] Re: Books on TR
                "jmgallen@..." <JMGallen@...> wrote:
                There is at least one biography of TR, Jr., In the Roughrider's Shadow: The Story of Theodore Roosevelt Jr. -- War Hero (Paperback)
                by H. Paul Jeffers
                I have not read it but have seen references to it.
                Jim Gallen

                One has to be careful of Jeffers' TR Jr. bio. Lots of errors. Dear old John Gable used to froth at the mouth at the mention of that book. - EJR

                So I read what Jim Gallen posted, thought the book on Theodore Roosevelt Jr. sounded interesting and went to Amazon and purchased a copy for a good price.  Within a very short time I received the second post from Ed and figured he was just being overly critical.

                He wasn't.

                It's one thing to try to revise history but another when your history contains consistent, blatant errors.

                It should have been a clue when I saw all the titles attributed to H. Paul Jeffers.  I though at the time he must be a virtual writing machine.  It appears he's overdue for a lube, oil and filter!!

                I learned a lesson with that one!  I'll finish the book, but carefully.

                Cam Lynn
                Brookings, OR