TR books

  • Harry Lembeck
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2006
      TR's is so fascinating, he attracts many good writers who write so many
      good books.

      The older books sometimes are the best, because they're written by
      people who knew him and they have such an affection for him. One of my
      favorites in Thayer's 1919 biography. It has both history and the
      story of TR the man and just why he was so great. Thayer was a
      terrific writer with some wonderful descriptions of the people TR dealt
      with (look his characterization of Boss Platt) and the events of the
      day (why the bosses were so eager to make TR Civil Service commissioner
      and later Vice President). It's impossible to read it and not come
      away enthralled.

      Others I would recommend are Jacob Riis's, Owen Wister's and James
      Amos's (the title, "Hero to His Valet," says it all). One other,
      "White House Gang," is more about Quentin and his friends, and TR only
      occasionally makes an appearance in it, but when he does, the whole
      room lights up.

      Happy Reading.

      Harry Lembeck