RE: [tr-m] Re: Books on TR

  • Edward J. Renehan Jr.
    Message 1 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
      My personal latest favorite remains Candice Millard's RIVER OF DOUBT, which represents storytelling at its best.
      All best, - Ed Renehan

      Andreas Gauf <andreas_gauf@...> wrote:
      I join the Edmund Morris camp. His two books are a
      fine read. You should start (even as a gift) with "The
      rise" of TR, which from my point of view is one of the
      best biographies ever (on any person). Since it covers
      the time untill 1901, it has to be continued by other
      volumes. It reads like a novel. Great stuff!

      I like Hermann Hagedorn's "The Roosevelt family of
      Sagamore Hill" very much. Very emotional, very
      personal, family stories. Less "big politics". But you
      need an antique shop to find it (or the internet).

      It is like wine. The "best" is impossible to find.
      There are too many good ones. McCullough, Ed Renehan,
      Brands, Dalton,....

      Regards,
      Andreas

      --- trsmacintosh <ricosmac@mac. com> schrieb:

      > Either of the Edmund Morris books on TR, "The Rise
      > of Theodore Roosevelt" or "Theodore
      > Rex" are excellent. That's where I got my start on
      > TR.
      > --- In tr-m@yahoogroups. com, "beancounter519"
      > <beancounter519@ ...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Can anyone recommend a good book on TR?
      > >
      > > I am looking for a good TR read to add to my
      > Christmas list.
      > >
      > > Thank you,
      > >
      > > Gery Vink

      Visit my website at http://de.geocities .com/andreas_ gauf

      Telefonate ohne weitere Kosten vom PC zum PC: http://messenger. yahoo.de

      Edward J. Renehan Jr.
           e-mail/erenehan@...

      CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this e-mail  message and any attachment(s) is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s), which is confidential and/or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this e-mail information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you for your cooperation.

    • A. Edward Moch
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
        Hello Andreas:
           Yes... I happen to agree that Hagedorn's book on the TR's Family is a good down to earth read, as I myself have a copy.

           I did happen to vist TR's estate decades ago when I was a young teenager...

        There is not much written directly on TR's Son, Gen. Theodore Roosevelt Jr., and I refer back to this book at times, to get a better understanding of my so-called Roosevelt cousins... especially the interaction-friendship between Gen. TR Jr., and my Grandfather Gen. Norman Cota during WWII.

           How much, if at all did my Grandfather ever meet TR Sr. I am not sure, but definately both of them did talk about TR Sr. in some matter..

        Best Regards;

        Alfred "Ed Moch" Cota

        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
          Hello Andreas:
             Yes... I happen to agree that Hagedorn's book on TR's Family is a good down to earth read, as I myself have a copy.

             I did happen to vist TR's estate decades ago when I was a young teenager...

          There is not much written directly on TR's Son, Gen. Theodore Roosevelt Jr., and I refer back to this book at times, to get a better understanding of my so-called Roosevelt cousins... especially the interaction-friendship between Gen. TR Jr., and my Grandfather Gen. Norman Cota during WWII.

             How much, if at all did my Grandfather ever meet TR Sr. I am not sure, but definately both of them did talk about TR Sr. in some matter..

          Best Regards;

          Alfred "Ed Moch" Cota

          Andreas Gauf <andreas_gauf@...> wrote:

          I like Hermann Hagedorn's "The Roosevelt family of
          Sagamore Hill" very much. Very emotional, very
          personal, family stories. Less "big politics". But you
          need an antique shop to find it (or the internet).

          It is like wine. The "best" is impossible to find.
          There are too many good ones. McCullough, Ed Renehan,
          Brands, Dalton,....

          Regards,
          Andreas

          --- trsmacintosh <ricosmac@mac. com> schrieb:

          > Either of the Edmund Morris books on TR, "The Rise
          > of Theodore Roosevelt" or "Theodore
          > Rex" are excellent. That's where I got my start on
          > TR.
          > --- In tr-m@yahoogroups. com, "beancounter519"
          > <beancounter519@ ...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Can anyone recommend a good book on TR?
          > >
          > > I am looking for a good TR read to add to my
          > Christmas list.
          > >
          > > Thank you,
          > >
          > > Gery Vink

          Visit my website at http://de.geocities .com/andreas_ gauf

          Telefonate ohne weitere Kosten vom PC zum PC: http://messenger. yahoo.de

        • Jeremy Johnston
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 2, 2006
            I would recommend Herman Hagedorn's Roosevelt in the Badlands. It offers a good perspective of TR's ranching days and it is a fun read. I would also recommend TR's own writings to supplement your reading. Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail is a good read.

            Sincerely,
            Jeremy

            Jeremy Johnston
            Assistant Professor of History
            Northwest College
            231 West 6th Street
            Powell, WY 82435
            (307)754-6008
            jeremy.johnston@...
            Northwest College Homepage: www.northwestcollege.edu
            History Homepage: www.northwestcollege.edu/area/history

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 2, 2006
              Mornings on Horseback has been my favorite for years.  But I also highly recommend The Lion's Pride by Ed Renehen.

              Sue
            • jmgallen@juno.com
              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 3, 2006

                There is at least one biography of TR, Jr., In the Roughrider's Shadow: The Story of Theodore Roosevelt Jr. -- War Hero (Paperback)
                by H. Paul Jeffers

                I have not read it but have seen references to it.

                Jim Gallen

                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 3, 2006
                  One has to be careful of Jeffers' TR Jr. bio. Lots of errors. Dear old John Gable used to froth at the mouth at the mention of that book. - EJR

                  ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ______
                  Visit http://www.juno. com/value to sign up today!

                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 4, 2006
                    Hello Jim;

                       Thank you for the information on TR Jr's Bio  "Shadow". I have found an interesting source of information on both TR Sr., TR Jr. and family by way of "Cousin Eleanore"... that's TR Jr's wife, Eleanore Butler Alexander-Roosevelt.
                       She did a auto-bio of sorts about herself, TR Jr and family. Being the Daughter-in-Law of  TR The Man, her book goes into more of the family relations that the politics of her family.
                       If I recall??? I think she claimed that there is a direct "cousin connection" to her Mother-In-Law, Edith Carrow-Roosevelt.
                       There are some family photo's in her book too... ie: A child photo Eleanore with her mother, Grace Green-Alexander, as well as a child photo of TR Jr. with his Dad.

                    Respectfully;

                    Al (A. Edward Moch)

                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 4, 2006

                      Ed,

                      Thanks for the warning.

                      Jim Gallen

                      "jmgallen@juno. com" <JMGallen@Juno. com> wrote:

                      There is at least one biography of TR, Jr., In the Roughrider's Shadow: The Story of Theodore Roosevelt Jr. -- War Hero (Paperback)
                      by H. Paul Jeffers
                      I have not read it but have seen references to it.
                      Jim Gallen

                      -- "A. Edward Moch" <aedwardmoch@ yahoo.com> wrote:
                      Hello Andreas:
                         Yes... I happen to agree that Hagedorn's book on the TR's Family is a good down to earth read, as I myself have a copy.

                         I did happen to vist TR's estate decades ago when I was a young teenager...

                      There is not much written directly on TR's Son, Gen. Theodore Roosevelt Jr., and I refer back to this book at times, to get a better understanding of my so-called Roosevelt cousins... especially the interaction- friendship between Gen. TR Jr., and my Grandfather Gen. Norman Cota during WWII.

                         How much, if at all did my Grandfather ever meet TR Sr. I am not sure, but definately both of them did talk about TR Sr. in some matter..

                      Best Regards;

                      Alfred "Ed Moch" Cota

                      Andreas Gauf <andreas_gauf@ yahoo.de> wrote:

                      I like Hermann Hagedorn's "The Roosevelt family of
                      Sagamore Hill" very much. Very emotional, very
                      personal, family stories. Less "big politics". But you
                      need an antique shop to find it (or the internet).

                      It is like wine. The "best" is impossible to find.
                      There are too many good ones. McCullough, Ed Renehan,
                      Brands, Dalton,....

                      Regards,
                      Andreas

                      --- trsmacintosh <ricosmac@mac. com> schrieb:

                      > Either of the Edmund Morris books on TR, "The Rise
                      > of Theodore Roosevelt" or "Theodore
                      > Rex" are excellent. That's where I got my start on
                      > TR.
                      > --- In tr-m@yahoogroups. com, "beancounter519"
                      > <beancounter519@ ...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Can anyone recommend a good book on TR?
                      > >
                      > > I am looking for a good TR read to add to my
                      > Christmas list.
                      > >
                      > > Thank you,
                      > >
                      > > Gery Vink

                      Visit my website at http://de.geocities .com/andreas_ gauf

                      Telefonate ohne weitere Kosten vom PC zum PC: http://messenger. yahoo.de

                      ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ______
                      Visit http://www.juno. com/value to sign up today!

                      ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* **
                      Edward J. Renehan Jr.
                           e-mail/erenehan@yahoo. com

                      CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this e-mail  message and any attachment(s) is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) , which is confidential and/or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this e-mail information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you for your cooperation.

                    • Mike Purdy
                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 7, 2006
                        When Trumpets Call, Theodore Roosevelt After the White
                        House, by Patricia O'Toole is outstanding. It is a
                        wonderful read and flows like the good story that it
                        is. Great use of language.

                        Mike

                        --- beancounter519 <beancounter519@...> wrote:

                        > Can anyone recommend a good book on TR?
                        >
                        > I am looking for a good TR read to add to my
                        > Christmas list.
                        >
                        > Thank you,
                        >
                        > Gery Vink

                      • Cam and Pam Lynn
                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 20, 2006
                          RE: [tr-m] Re: Books on TR
                          "jmgallen@..." <JMGallen@...> wrote:
                          There is at least one biography of TR, Jr., In the Roughrider's Shadow: The Story of Theodore Roosevelt Jr. -- War Hero (Paperback)
                          by H. Paul Jeffers
                          I have not read it but have seen references to it.
                          Jim Gallen

                          One has to be careful of Jeffers' TR Jr. bio. Lots of errors. Dear old John Gable used to froth at the mouth at the mention of that book. - EJR

                          So I read what Jim Gallen posted, thought the book on Theodore Roosevelt Jr. sounded interesting and went to Amazon and purchased a copy for a good price.  Within a very short time I received the second post from Ed and figured he was just being overly critical.

                          He wasn't.

                          It's one thing to try to revise history but another when your history contains consistent, blatant errors.

                          It should have been a clue when I saw all the titles attributed to H. Paul Jeffers.  I though at the time he must be a virtual writing machine.  It appears he's overdue for a lube, oil and filter!!

                          I learned a lesson with that one!  I'll finish the book, but carefully.

                          Cam Lynn
                          Brookings, OR