Re: [tr-m] Re: Books on TR

  • Juan Veloz
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 30, 2006
      I concur with Jim on giving Miller's "Theodore Roosevelt: A Life" as a gift.  "I Rose like a Rocket"  would also be a great little read.

      -Juan

    • Andreas Gauf
      Message 2 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
        I join the Edmund Morris camp. His two books are a
        fine read. You should start (even as a gift) with "The
        rise" of TR, which from my point of view is one of the
        best biographies ever (on any person). Since it covers
        the time untill 1901, it has to be continued by other
        volumes. It reads like a novel. Great stuff!

        I like Hermann Hagedorn's "The Roosevelt family of
        Sagamore Hill" very much. Very emotional, very
        personal, family stories. Less "big politics". But you
        need an antique shop to find it (or the internet).

        It is like wine. The "best" is impossible to find.
        There are too many good ones. McCullough, Ed Renehan,
        Brands, Dalton,....

        Regards,
        Andreas

        --- trsmacintosh <ricosmac@...> schrieb:

        > Either of the Edmund Morris books on TR, "The Rise
        > of Theodore Roosevelt" or "Theodore
        > Rex" are excellent. That's where I got my start on
        > TR.
        > --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, "beancounter519"
        > <beancounter519@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Can anyone recommend a good book on TR?
        > >
        > > I am looking for a good TR read to add to my
        > Christmas list.
        > >
        > > Thank you,
        > >
        > > Gery Vink

        Visit my website at http://de.geocities.com/andreas_gauf

      • Edward J. Renehan Jr.
        Message 3 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
          My personal latest favorite remains Candice Millard's RIVER OF DOUBT, which represents storytelling at its best.
          All best, - Ed Renehan

          --- trsmacintosh <ricosmac@mac. com> schrieb:

          > Either of the Edmund Morris books on TR, "The Rise
          > of Theodore Roosevelt" or "Theodore
          > Rex" are excellent. That's where I got my start on
          > TR.
          > --- In tr-m@yahoogroups. com, "beancounter519"
          > <beancounter519@ ...> wrote:
          > >
          > > Can anyone recommend a good book on TR?
          > >
          > > I am looking for a good TR read to add to my
          > Christmas list.
          > >
          > > Thank you,
          > >
          > > Gery Vink

          Visit my website at http://de.geocities .com/andreas_ gauf

          Telefonate ohne weitere Kosten vom PC zum PC: http://messenger. yahoo.de

          Edward J. Renehan Jr.
               e-mail/erenehan@...

          CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this e-mail  message and any attachment(s) is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s), which is confidential and/or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this e-mail information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you for your cooperation.

        • Tim Glas
          Message 4 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
            Ditto on Dalton.  Her "Theodore Roosevelt" has some of themost exhaustive footnotes and managed to refresh ground I thought I'd well covered in other volumes.  The quality of Morris's writing (either one, actually) is superb if you are fond of language.

            Then again, for a non-exhaustive chapter of TR's life as opposed to the whole, I absolutey reccomend Candice Millard's River of Doubt on TR's exploration of that river during his post presidency.

            Cheers,
            Tim

            href="mailto:tr-m%40yahoogroups.com">tr-m@yahoogroups. com, "beancounter519"
            > <beancounter519@ ...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Can anyone recommend a good book on TR?
            > >
            > > I am looking for a good TR read to add to my
            > Christmas
            list.

            > > Thank you,
            > >
            > > Gery
            Vink

            send it to: tr-m@eGroups. com
            Unsubscribe, send a blank message to:

            Visit my website at http://de.geocities .com/andreas_ gauf

            Telefonate ohne weitere Kosten vom PC zum PC: http://messenger. yahoo.de

          • A. Edward Moch
            Message 5 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
              Hello Andreas:
                 Yes... I happen to agree that Hagedorn's book on the TR's Family is a good down to earth read, as I myself have a copy.

                 I did happen to vist TR's estate decades ago when I was a young teenager...

              There is not much written directly on TR's Son, Gen. Theodore Roosevelt Jr., and I refer back to this book at times, to get a better understanding of my so-called Roosevelt cousins... especially the interaction-friendship between Gen. TR Jr., and my Grandfather Gen. Norman Cota during WWII.

                 How much, if at all did my Grandfather ever meet TR Sr. I am not sure, but definately both of them did talk about TR Sr. in some matter..

              Best Regards;

              Alfred "Ed Moch" Cota

              Message 6 of 19 , Dec 1, 2006
                Hello Andreas:
                   Yes... I happen to agree that Hagedorn's book on TR's Family is a good down to earth read, as I myself have a copy.

                   I did happen to vist TR's estate decades ago when I was a young teenager...

                There is not much written directly on TR's Son, Gen. Theodore Roosevelt Jr., and I refer back to this book at times, to get a better understanding of my so-called Roosevelt cousins... especially the interaction-friendship between Gen. TR Jr., and my Grandfather Gen. Norman Cota during WWII.

                   How much, if at all did my Grandfather ever meet TR Sr. I am not sure, but definately both of them did talk about TR Sr. in some matter..

                Best Regards;

                Alfred "Ed Moch" Cota

                Andreas Gauf <andreas_gauf@...> wrote:

                I like Hermann Hagedorn's "The Roosevelt family of
                Sagamore Hill" very much. Very emotional, very
                personal, family stories. Less "big politics". But you
                need an antique shop to find it (or the internet).

                It is like wine. The "best" is impossible to find.
                There are too many good ones. McCullough, Ed Renehan,
                Brands, Dalton,....

                Regards,
                Andreas

                --- trsmacintosh <ricosmac@mac. com> schrieb:

                > Either of the Edmund Morris books on TR, "The Rise
                > of Theodore Roosevelt" or "Theodore
                > Rex" are excellent. That's where I got my start on
                > TR.
                > --- In tr-m@yahoogroups. com, "beancounter519"
                > <beancounter519@ ...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Can anyone recommend a good book on TR?
                > >
                > > I am looking for a good TR read to add to my
                > Christmas list.
                > >
                > > Thank you,
                > >
                > > Gery Vink

                Visit my website at http://de.geocities .com/andreas_ gauf

                Telefonate ohne weitere Kosten vom PC zum PC: http://messenger. yahoo.de

              • Jeremy Johnston
                Message 7 of 19 , Dec 2, 2006
                  I would recommend Herman Hagedorn's Roosevelt in the Badlands. It offers a good perspective of TR's ranching days and it is a fun read. I would also recommend TR's own writings to supplement your reading. Ranch Life and the Hunting Trail is a good read.

                  Sincerely,
                  Jeremy

                  Jeremy Johnston
                  Assistant Professor of History
                  Northwest College
                  231 West 6th Street
                  Powell, WY 82435
                  (307)754-6008
                  jeremy.johnston@...
                  Northwest College Homepage: www.northwestcollege.edu
                  History Homepage: www.northwestcollege.edu/area/history

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 19 , Dec 2, 2006
                    Mornings on Horseback has been my favorite for years.  But I also highly recommend The Lion's Pride by Ed Renehen.

                    Sue
                  • jmgallen@juno.com
                    Message 9 of 19 , Dec 3, 2006

                      There is at least one biography of TR, Jr., In the Roughrider's Shadow: The Story of Theodore Roosevelt Jr. -- War Hero (Paperback)
                      by H. Paul Jeffers

                      I have not read it but have seen references to it.

                      Jim Gallen

                      Message 10 of 19 , Dec 3, 2006
                        One has to be careful of Jeffers' TR Jr. bio. Lots of errors. Dear old John Gable used to froth at the mouth at the mention of that book. - EJR

                        ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ______
                        Visit http://www.juno. com/value to sign up today!

                        Message 11 of 19 , Dec 4, 2006
                          Hello Jim;

                             Thank you for the information on TR Jr's Bio  "Shadow". I have found an interesting source of information on both TR Sr., TR Jr. and family by way of "Cousin Eleanore"... that's TR Jr's wife, Eleanore Butler Alexander-Roosevelt.
                             She did a auto-bio of sorts about herself, TR Jr and family. Being the Daughter-in-Law of  TR The Man, her book goes into more of the family relations that the politics of her family.
                             If I recall??? I think she claimed that there is a direct "cousin connection" to her Mother-In-Law, Edith Carrow-Roosevelt.
                             There are some family photo's in her book too... ie: A child photo Eleanore with her mother, Grace Green-Alexander, as well as a child photo of TR Jr. with his Dad.

                          Respectfully;

                          Al (A. Edward Moch)

                          Message 12 of 19 , Dec 4, 2006

                            Ed,

                            Thanks for the warning.

                            Jim Gallen

                            "jmgallen@juno. com" <JMGallen@Juno. com> wrote:

                            There is at least one biography of TR, Jr., In the Roughrider's Shadow: The Story of Theodore Roosevelt Jr. -- War Hero (Paperback)
                            by H. Paul Jeffers
                            I have not read it but have seen references to it.
                            Jim Gallen

                            -- "A. Edward Moch" <aedwardmoch@ yahoo.com> wrote:
                            Hello Andreas:
                               Yes... I happen to agree that Hagedorn's book on the TR's Family is a good down to earth read, as I myself have a copy.

                               I did happen to vist TR's estate decades ago when I was a young teenager...

                            There is not much written directly on TR's Son, Gen. Theodore Roosevelt Jr., and I refer back to this book at times, to get a better understanding of my so-called Roosevelt cousins... especially the interaction- friendship between Gen. TR Jr., and my Grandfather Gen. Norman Cota during WWII.

                               How much, if at all did my Grandfather ever meet TR Sr. I am not sure, but definately both of them did talk about TR Sr. in some matter..

                            Best Regards;

                            Alfred "Ed Moch" Cota

                            Andreas Gauf <andreas_gauf@ yahoo.de> wrote:

                            I like Hermann Hagedorn's "The Roosevelt family of
                            Sagamore Hill" very much. Very emotional, very
                            personal, family stories. Less "big politics". But you
                            need an antique shop to find it (or the internet).

                            It is like wine. The "best" is impossible to find.
                            There are too many good ones. McCullough, Ed Renehan,
                            Brands, Dalton,....

                            Regards,
                            Andreas

                            --- trsmacintosh <ricosmac@mac. com> schrieb:

                            > Either of the Edmund Morris books on TR, "The Rise
                            > of Theodore Roosevelt" or "Theodore
                            > Rex" are excellent. That's where I got my start on
                            > TR.
                            > --- In tr-m@yahoogroups. com, "beancounter519"
                            > <beancounter519@ ...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > Can anyone recommend a good book on TR?
                            > >
                            > > I am looking for a good TR read to add to my
                            > Christmas list.
                            > >
                            > > Thank you,
                            > >
                            > > Gery Vink

                            Visit my website at http://de.geocities .com/andreas_ gauf

                            Telefonate ohne weitere Kosten vom PC zum PC: http://messenger. yahoo.de

                            ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ ______
                            Visit http://www.juno. com/value to sign up today!

                            ************ ********* ********* ********* ********* ********* **
                            Edward J. Renehan Jr.
                                 e-mail/erenehan@yahoo. com

                            CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this e-mail  message and any attachment(s) is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) , which is confidential and/or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this e-mail information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you for your cooperation.

                          • Mike Purdy
                            Message 13 of 19 , Dec 7, 2006
                              When Trumpets Call, Theodore Roosevelt After the White
                              House, by Patricia O'Toole is outstanding. It is a
                              wonderful read and flows like the good story that it
                              is. Great use of language.

                              Mike

                              --- beancounter519 <beancounter519@...> wrote:

                              > Can anyone recommend a good book on TR?
                              >
                              > I am looking for a good TR read to add to my
                              > Christmas list.
                              >
                              > Thank you,
                              >
                              > Gery Vink

                            • Cam and Pam Lynn
                              Message 14 of 19 , Dec 20, 2006
                                RE: [tr-m] Re: Books on TR
                                "jmgallen@..." <JMGallen@...> wrote:
                                There is at least one biography of TR, Jr., In the Roughrider's Shadow: The Story of Theodore Roosevelt Jr. -- War Hero (Paperback)
                                by H. Paul Jeffers
                                I have not read it but have seen references to it.
                                Jim Gallen

                                One has to be careful of Jeffers' TR Jr. bio. Lots of errors. Dear old John Gable used to froth at the mouth at the mention of that book. - EJR

                                So I read what Jim Gallen posted, thought the book on Theodore Roosevelt Jr. sounded interesting and went to Amazon and purchased a copy for a good price.  Within a very short time I received the second post from Ed and figured he was just being overly critical.

                                He wasn't.

                                It's one thing to try to revise history but another when your history contains consistent, blatant errors.

                                It should have been a clue when I saw all the titles attributed to H. Paul Jeffers.  I though at the time he must be a virtual writing machine.  It appears he's overdue for a lube, oil and filter!!

                                I learned a lesson with that one!  I'll finish the book, but carefully.

                                Cam Lynn
                                Brookings, OR