RE: [tr-m] Gore Vidal on TR, McCullough

  • Edward J. Renehan Jr.
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 27, 2006
      Hey Tweed:

      Yeah, I don't know about that story either. Vidal is, of course, not a trained historian and so is inclined to accept "hearsay." This is probably the case here.

      As usual, in this essay, he specializes in being provocative. As you probably know, Vidal and Alice were chummy. Vidal's engagingly outrageous take on history and its personalities was - I speculate - probably something that attracted Alice like a moth to flame.

      All best, - E

      Tweed Roosevelt <tweedr@...> wrote:
      Dear Ed,

      Interesting article as Vidal always is.  However, I find the first anecdote about the women on horseback hard to believe as it is so out of TR's character.

      Best,
      Tweed