Proposed TR memorial in Central Park, 1930

  • mapheus2002
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 22, 2006
      Dear friends,

      As the Great Depression was settling over the nation, the newspaper here in my small
      mid-Tennessee town published a drawing of a "Roosevelt Memorial" proposed for Central
      Park. The designer was John Russell Pope, whose credits include the Jefferson Memorial,
      the National Gallery of Art, the National Archives, and many other notable
      neoclassical public buildings of the day.

      The most interesting part of the caption reads that "[he] won the contest staged by the
      New York State Roosevelt Memorial association."

      Probably this sketch is in Pope's papers, wherever they are housed. But if anyone on the
      list would like this article, I'll happily mail it to you. The above is 150% of what I myself
      know about the subject.

      Kindest regards,
      Jim