Gore Vidal on TR, McCullough

  • Edward J. Renehan Jr.
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 18, 2006
      Interesting. An old Gore Vidal essay on TR and McCullough's MORNINGS ON HORSEBACK.

      http://www.randomhouse.com/boldtype/0501/vidal/essay_us.html

      Originally published in the NY Review of Books.

      - EJR

      Edward J. Renehan Jr.
           e-mail/erenehan@...

      CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this e-mail  message and any attachment(s) is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s), which is confidential and/or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this e-mail information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you for your cooperation.

    • Tweed Roosevelt
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 26, 2006
        Dear Ed,

        Interesting article as Vidal always is.  However, I find the first anecdote about the women on horseback hard to believe as it is so out of TR's character.

        Best,
        Tweed

        Interesting. An old Gore Vidal essay on TR and McCullough's MORNINGS ON HORSEBACK.

        http://www.randomho use.com/boldtype /0501/vidal/ essay_us. html

        Originally published in the NY Review of Books.

        - EJR

        Edward J. Renehan Jr.
             e-mail/erenehan@yahoo. com

        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 27, 2006
          Hey Tweed:

          Yeah, I don't know about that story either. Vidal is, of course, not a trained historian and so is inclined to accept "hearsay." This is probably the case here.

          As usual, in this essay, he specializes in being provocative. As you probably know, Vidal and Alice were chummy. Vidal's engagingly outrageous take on history and its personalities was - I speculate - probably something that attracted Alice like a moth to flame.

          All best, - E