Annual Meeting Question on "Military" Category

  • simonatl
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1, 2006
      Does Military mean active duty only or does it also include retired
      military who are no longer on active duty? Thanks. SimonATL (I'm
      retired military no longer on active duty)

      --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, "Edward J. Renehan Jr." <erenehan@...>
      wrote:

      > Per requests from some people, I'm recirculating these annual
      meeting details which originally went around the block a couple of
      weeks ago.
      > - EJR
      >
      > Mark your calendars for the 2006 Annual Meeting of the Theodore
      Roosevelt Association in Atlanta, Georgia.

      > The 87th Annual Meeting of the TRA will be held from Friday,
      October 20 to Sunday, October 22. The theme of the meeting will be
      TR's family, with special attention to TR's connections in the
      Atlanta area. Our partners for the weekend will be Bulloch Hall
      (childhood home of TR's mother) and the Altanta History Center.

      > The weekend will include a symposium on TR's family. See below
      for details.

      > The weekend will also feature a Friday evening cocktail
      reception at Bulloch Hall, the annual dinner on Saturday, October
      21st, and an optional bus trip to Franklin Delano
      Roosevelt's "Little White House" at Warm Springs, on Sunday.

      > Our host hotel will be the Westin, Buckhead (3391 Peachtree
      Rd., NE, Atlanta, GA 30326). The TRA has a special block of rooms
      reserved at a heavily discounted rate: $159 per night. Be sure to
      mention the Theodore Roosevelt Association when you call to reserve
      your spot. The number to call is 1-800-WESTIN (800-937-8461), or
      dial direct for the Buckhead reservations group, 404-365-0065.

      > Each attendee of this year's annual dinner will receive a free
      copy of William D. Johnston's classic photo biography entitled TR:
      Champion of the Strenuous Life.

      > Pricing for this year's annual meeting is as follows:
      > Bulloch Hall Cocktail Reception (Friday Night) - $100 (Reg), $125
      (Supporter), $150 (Patron), $75 (Military and Children 8 - 18)
      > Annual Dinner (Saturday Night) - $175 (Reg), $200 (Supporter),
      $225 (Patron), $150 (Military and Children 8 - 18)

      > Weekend Package (Saturday Symposium + Saturday Night Annual
      Dinner) - $255 (Reg), $280 (Supporter), $305 (Patron), $230
      (Military and Children 8 - 18)
      > Warm Springs Bus Trip (Sunday) - $35 flat fee per head
      >

      > TRA members should look for full details on the annual meeting,
      including registration materials, in a mailing they will receive
      near the end of August.

      > TRA Symposium on the Roosevelt Family
      > Atlanta History Center
      > Saturday, October 21, 2006
      >
      > Four presenters will highlight key aspects of Roosevelt family
      history.

      > Tweed Roosevelt: Roosevelt Cousins - A Remarkable Miscellany
      > Tweed Roosevelt will tell of various scattered, unsung, yet
      fascinating Roosevelt relatives who have cut interesting paths
      through the world. Close to home is TR’s uncle, Robert B.
      Roosevelt, a pioneering conservationist, who wrote extensively and
      even got elected to the U. S. Congress solely to advance his
      conservation agenda. Further a-field, there is Archibald Stobo,
      whose astonishing life led from Scotland, through Darian in Panama
      to Charleston, South Carolina where he was one of the founders on
      the family’s Southern branch. Others include one of the inventors
      of the side-wheeler steamboat, navel officers, revolutionary heroes,
      a Roman Catholic bishop, the founder of a great hospital, a
      collection of successful business men, the builder of the first
      American electric organ, and even a Saint of the Roman Catholic
      Church (not the aforementioned bishop). Tweed, who lives in Boston
      and is a great grandson of TR, was part of the group that retraced
      TR’s 1914
      > River of Doubt trip in 1992. He is Chairman of Roosevelt China
      Investments Corporation which, among other activities, recently
      acquired the Sak’s Fifth Avenue license for China. He is also a
      managing director of The Roosevelt Investment Group.

      > Betty Boyd Caroli: Martha (Mittie) Bulloch, First Mother
      > Betty Boyd Caroli's books include The Roosevelt Women (Basic
      Books, 1998), America's First Ladies (GuildAmerica, 1996), and
      Inside the White House (Abbeville, 1992). Geoffrey C. Ward called
      The Roosevelt Women "a vivid portrait....Even readers who think they
      already know everything ...will be surprised--and delighted...." Dr.
      Caroli resides in New York City and Venice, Italy. An
      internationally recognized authority on American First Ladies and
      presidential families, she has been a guest on such programs as
      Today, The O'Reilly Factor, The MacNeil-Lehrer NewsHour, and "Book
      Notes" with Brian Lamb. Dr. Caroli will discuss TR's mother, a
      native of Roswell, and her impact on her son.

      > Tom Chaffin: James D. Bulloch and the Shenandoah
      > Tom Chaffin's latest book is Sea of Gray: The Around-the-World
      Odyssey of the Confederate Raider Shenandoah (Hill and Wang, 2006).
      He has also written Pathfinder: John C. Frémont and the Course of
      American Empire (FSG, 2002). Dr. Chaffin's work has appeared in
      such publications as the New York Times, Harper's Magazine, and
      Time. A visiting scholar at Emory University, Dr. Chaffin lives in
      Atlanta. He will discuss the Shenandoah, the Confederate Navy
      generally, and the vital role played by James Dunwoody Bulloch â€"
      one of Theodore Roosevelt's maternal uncles â€" with regard to both.

      > Candice Millard: Kermit Roosevelt & TR on the River of Doubt
      > Candice Millard achieved nothing but rave reviews from
      Publishers Weekly, the New York Times, the San Francisco Chronicle,
      the Christian Science Monitor, and other major media outlets with
      her book The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey
      (Doubleday, 2005). A former National Geographic writer and editor,
      Ms. Millard lives in Kansas City with her husband and family. She
      will speak about TR's perilous trek through the Amazon wilderness
      and, especially, the dynamic of his relationship with his troubled
      son Kermit during the treacherous and ill-fated 1914 expedition.

    • Edward J. Renehan Jr.
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2006
        Active Duty. - EJR

        wrote:

> [...]
        internationally recognized authority on American First Ladies and
        presidential families, she has been a guest on such programs as
        Today, The O'Reilly Factor, The MacNeil-Lehrer NewsHour, and "Book
        Notes" with Brian Lamb. Dr. Caroli will discuss TR's mother, a
        native of Roswell, and her impact on her son.

        > Tom Chaffin: James D. Bulloch and the Shenandoah
        > Tom Chaffin's latest book is Sea of Gray: The Around-the-World
        Odyssey of the Confederate Raider Shenandoah (Hill and Wang, 2006).
        He has also written Pathfinder: John C. Frémont and the Course of
        American Empire (FSG, 2002). Dr. Chaffin's work has appeared in
        such publications as the New York Times, Harper's Magazine, and
        Time. A visiting scholar at Emory University, Dr. Chaffin lives in
        Atlanta. He will discuss the Shenandoah, the Confederate Navy
        generally, and the vital role played by James Dunwoody Bulloch �"
        one of Theodore Roosevelt's maternal uncles �" with regard to both.

        > Candice Millard: Kermit Roosevelt & TR on the River of Doubt
        > Candice Millard achieved nothing but rave reviews from
        Publishers Weekly, the New York Times, the San Francisco Chronicle,
        the Christian Science Monitor, and other major media outlets with
        her book The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey
        (Doubleday, 2005). A former National Geographic writer and editor,
        Ms. Millard lives in Kansas City with her husband and family. She
        will speak about TR's perilous trek through the Amazon wilderness
        and, especially, the dynamic of his relationship with his troubled
        son Kermit during the treacherous and ill-fated 1914 expedition.

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/2YwolB/TM

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Edward J. Renehan Jr.
            voice/401-222-9718
            fax/401-295-1984
            e-mail/erenehan@...

        CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this e-mail  message and any attachment(s) is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s), which is confidential and/or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this e-mail information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you for your cooperation.