Recirculating Annual Meeting Details

  • Edward J. Renehan Jr.
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 30, 2006
      Per requests from some people, I'm recirculating these annual meeting details which originally went around the block a couple of weeks ago.
      - EJR

      Mark your calendars for the 2006 Annual Meeting of the Theodore Roosevelt Association in Atlanta , Georgia .

      The 87th Annual Meeting of the TRA will be held from Friday, October 20 to Sunday, October 22. The theme of the meeting will be TR's family, with special attention to TR's connections in the Atlanta area. Our partners for the weekend will be Bulloch Hall (childhood home of TR's mother) and the Altanta History Center .

      The weekend will include a symposium on TR's family. See below for details.

      The weekend will also feature a Friday evening cocktail reception at Bulloch Hall, the annual dinner on Saturday, October 21st, and an optional bus trip to Franklin Delano Roosevelt's "Little White House" at Warm Springs, on Sunday.

      Our host hotel will be the Westin, Buckhead ( 3391 Peachtree Rd., NE , Atlanta , GA 30326 ). The TRA has a special block of rooms reserved at a heavily discounted rate: $159 per night. Be sure to mention the Theodore Roosevelt Association when you call to reserve your spot. The number to call is 1-800-WESTIN (800-937-8461), or dial direct for the Buckhead reservations group, 404-365-0065.

      Each attendee of this year's annual dinner will receive a free copy of William D. Johnston's classic photo biography entitled TR: Champion of the Strenuous Life.

      Pricing for this year's annual meeting is as follows:
      Bulloch Hall Cocktail Reception (Friday Night) - $100 (Reg), $125 (Supporter), $150 (Patron), $75 (Military and Children 8 - 18)
      Annual Dinner (Saturday Night) - $175 (Reg), $200 (Supporter), $225 (Patron), $150 (Military and Children 8 - 18)
      Weekend Package (Saturday Symposium + Saturday Night Annual Dinner) - $255 (Reg), $280 (Supporter), $305 (Patron), $230 (Military and Children 8 - 18)
      Warm Springs Bus Trip (Sunday) - $35 flat fee per head

      TRA members should look for full details on the annual meeting, including registration materials, in a mailing they will receive near the end of August.

      TRA Symposium on the Roosevelt Family
      Atlanta History Center
      Saturday, October 21, 2006

      Four presenters will highlight key aspects of Roosevelt family history.

      Tweed Roosevelt: Roosevelt Cousins - A Remarkable Miscellany
      Tweed Roosevelt will tell of various scattered, unsung, yet fascinating Roosevelt relatives who have cut interesting paths through the world.  Close to home is TR’s uncle, Robert B. Roosevelt, a pioneering conservationist, who wrote extensively and even got elected to the U. S. Congress solely to advance his conservation agenda.  Further a-field, there is Archibald Stobo, whose astonishing life led from Scotland, through Darian in Panama to Charleston, South Carolina where he was one of the founders on the family’s Southern branch.  Others include one of the inventors of the side-wheeler steamboat, navel officers, revolutionary heroes, a Roman Catholic bishop, the founder of a great hospital, a collection of successful business men, the builder of the first American electric organ, and even a Saint of the Roman Catholic Church (not the aforementioned bishop).  Tweed , who lives in Boston and is a great grandson of TR, was part of the group that retraced TR’s 1914 River of Doubt trip in 1992.  He is Chairman of Roosevelt China Investments Corporation which, among other activities, recently acquired the Sak’s Fifth Avenue license for China .  He is also a managing director of The Roosevelt Investment Group.

      Betty Boyd Caroli: Martha (Mittie) Bulloch, First Mother
      Betty Boyd Caroli's books include The Roosevelt Women (Basic Books, 1998), America's First Ladies (GuildAmerica, 1996), and Inside the White House (Abbeville, 1992). Geoffrey C. Ward called The Roosevelt Women "a vivid portrait....Even readers who think they already know everything ...will be surprised--and delighted...." Dr. Caroli resides in New York City and Venice , Italy . An internationally recognized authority on American First Ladies and presidential families, she has been a guest on such programs as Today, The O'Reilly Factor, The MacNeil-Lehrer NewsHour, and "Book Notes" with Brian Lamb. Dr. Caroli will discuss TR's mother, a native of Roswell , and her impact on her son.

      Tom Chaffin: James D. Bulloch and the Shenandoah
      Tom Chaffin's latest book is Sea of Gray: The Around-the-World Odyssey of the Confederate Raider Shenandoah (Hill and Wang, 2006). He has also written Pathfinder: John C. Frémont and the Course of American Empire (FSG, 2002). Dr. Chaffin's work has appeared in such publications as the New York Times, Harper's Magazine, and Time. A visiting scholar at Emory University , Dr. Chaffin lives in Atlanta . He will discuss the Shenandoah, the Confederate Navy generally, and the vital role played by James Dunwoody Bulloch – one of Theodore Roosevelt's maternal uncles – with regard to both.

      Candice Millard: Kermit Roosevelt & TR on the River of Doubt
      Candice Millard achieved nothing but rave reviews from Publishers Weekly, the New York Times, the San Francisco Chronicle, the Christian Science Monitor, and other major media outlets with her book The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey (Doubleday, 2005). A former National Geographic writer and editor, Ms. Millard lives in Kansas City with her husband and family. She will speak about TR's perilous trek through the Amazon wilderness and, especially, the dynamic of his relationship with his troubled son Kermit during the treacherous and ill-fated 1914 expedition.
    • simonatl
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1, 2006
        Does Military mean active duty only or does it also include retired
        military who are no longer on active duty? Thanks. SimonATL (I'm
        retired military no longer on active duty)

        --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, "Edward J. Renehan Jr." <erenehan@...>
        wrote:

> [...]
        Caroli resides in New York City and Venice, Italy. An
        internationally recognized authority on American First Ladies and
        presidential families, she has been a guest on such programs as
        Today, The O'Reilly Factor, The MacNeil-Lehrer NewsHour, and "Book
        Notes" with Brian Lamb. Dr. Caroli will discuss TR's mother, a
        native of Roswell, and her impact on her son.

        > Tom Chaffin: James D. Bulloch and the Shenandoah
        > Tom Chaffin's latest book is Sea of Gray: The Around-the-World
        Odyssey of the Confederate Raider Shenandoah (Hill and Wang, 2006).
        He has also written Pathfinder: John C. Frémont and the Course of
        American Empire (FSG, 2002). Dr. Chaffin's work has appeared in
        such publications as the New York Times, Harper's Magazine, and
        Time. A visiting scholar at Emory University, Dr. Chaffin lives in
        Atlanta. He will discuss the Shenandoah, the Confederate Navy
        generally, and the vital role played by James Dunwoody Bulloch â€"
        one of Theodore Roosevelt's maternal uncles â€" with regard to both.

        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2006
          Active Duty. - EJR

          wrote:

> [...]
          Atlanta. He will discuss the Shenandoah, the Confederate Navy
          generally, and the vital role played by James Dunwoody Bulloch �"
          one of Theodore Roosevelt's maternal uncles �" with regard to both.

          > Candice Millard: Kermit Roosevelt & TR on the River of Doubt
          > Candice Millard achieved nothing but rave reviews from
          Publishers Weekly, the New York Times, the San Francisco Chronicle,
          the Christian Science Monitor, and other major media outlets with
          her book The River of Doubt: Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey
          (Doubleday, 2005). A former National Geographic writer and editor,
          Ms. Millard lives in Kansas City with her husband and family. She
          will speak about TR's perilous trek through the Amazon wilderness
          and, especially, the dynamic of his relationship with his troubled
          son Kermit during the treacherous and ill-fated 1914 expedition.

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/6pRQfA/fOaOAA/yQLSAA/2YwolB/TM

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Edward J. Renehan Jr.
              voice/401-222-9718
              fax/401-295-1984
              e-mail/erenehan@...

          CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this e-mail  message and any attachment(s) is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s), which is confidential and/or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this e-mail information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you for your cooperation.