The Lasting and Far Reaching Effects of the Philanthropy of TR's Father

  • simonatl
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 28, 2006
      As a child living on the streets of New York City, a young boy named
      John Brady was found by Theodore Roosevelt, Sr., the New York City
      philanthropist and the father Theodore Roosevelt. Many years later,
      as an adult, Brady would approach the younger Theodore Roosevelt,
      then governor of New York, in 1900, at a conference in Portland,
      Oregon, warmly shake his hand and tell him the following story:

      "Governor Roosevelt, the other governors have greeted you with
      interest, simply as a fellow governor and a great American, but I
      greet you with infinitely more interest, as the son of your father,
      the first Theodore Roosevelt." When asked why by Governor Roosevelt
      in what special way he had been interested in his father, Governor
      Brady replied, "Your father picked me up on the streets of New York,
      a waif and an orphan, and sent me to a Western family, paying for my
      transportation and early care. Years passed and I was able to repay
      the money which had given me my start in life, but I can never repay
      what he did for me, for it was through that early care and by giving
      me such a foster mother and father that I gradually rose in the
      world until I greet his son as a fellow governor of a part of our
      great country."
    • simonatl
      Message 2 of 2 , May 1 3:46 PM
[...]

        Note - Orginal Subj line was too long and NOT related to TR's FAT