Native states of the Rough Riders?

  • mapheus2002
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 12, 2006
      Dear friends,

      According to an article in the _Tennessee Encyclopedia of History and Culture_, 17
      members of the First U.S. Volunteer Cavalry claimed Tennessee at their place of birth. Can
      anyone point me to an enlistment roster where I could check this fact? My goal is an article
      of collective biography on the Tennesseans who went to Cuba with TR.

      Gratefully,

      Jim Summerville
    • Greg Wynn
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 12, 2006
        TR's own "The Rough Riders" has a good roster of the Troopers.

        More easier to use, however, with locations of origin (or at least
        enlistment) is Virgil Carrington Jones' "Roosevelt's Rough Riders".

        Both can be found easily on most book search engines such as ABE, for
        example.

        > According to an article in the _Tennessee Encyclopedia of History and
        > Culture_, 17
        > members of the First U.S. Volunteer Cavalry claimed Tennessee at their
        > place of birth. Can
        > anyone point me to an enlistment roster where I could check this fact? My
        > goal is an article
        > of collective biography on the Tennesseans who went to Cuba with TR.
        >
        > Gratefully,
        >
        > Jim Summerville

      • Vince Liberto
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 12, 2006
          Jim,
          If I remember correctly,
          in the TRA Journal, about three years ago, there
          was a big list on the states where the Rough
          Riders were from.
          Vince Liberto
          New Orleans

          --- mapheus2002 <mapheus@...> wrote:

          > Dear friends,
          >
          > According to an article in the _Tennessee
          > Encyclopedia of History and Culture_, 17
          > members of the First U.S. Volunteer Cavalry
          > claimed Tennessee at their place of birth. Can
          > anyone point me to an enlistment roster where I
          > could check this fact? My goal is an article
          > of collective biography on the Tennesseans who
          > went to Cuba with TR.
          >
          > Gratefully,
          >
          > Jim Summerville

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • earthcrone
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 13, 2006
            The TRA Journal printed a list in 1998 or 1999.  Other than that, "The Rough Riders" by Virgil Carrington Jones also has a list in the back.

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 13, 2006
              The Jones list is more complete and accurate, although there is some question as to whether it has overlooked a few people.  I think that Linda Milano did keep some kind of list and perhaps the TRA can help you.  Jones does list 17 Tennesseans, but as Greg points out that is only place of enlistment.  There are undoubtedly others from Tennessee but who enlisted elsewhere.  Discovering those might be difficult.  Finally, only about half of the Rough Riders who enlisted actually went to Cuba.  Finding out which of the Tennesseans were included may be a challenge.  I suspect you will have to consult the records kept by the Army where each Rough Rider's service record may have much more information.

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 13, 2006
                Tweed,
                Why did only half of the enlisted Rough Riders go? Was there
                not enough space on the ships? I know there was only space for two
                of the horses. Of course, both of the horses were Theodore
                Roosevelt's.
                Just want to add that I still so fondly remember having dinner
                with you at Durgin Park eleven years ago. I can't believe it was
                that long ago. WOW!! It seems like yesterday to me.

                All the best,
                John Olsen

                --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, "Tweed Roosevelt" <tweedr@...> wrote:

                > The Jones list is more complete and accurate, although there is
                some question as to whether it has overlooked a few people. I think
                that Linda Milano did keep some kind of list and perhaps the TRA can
                help you. Jones does list 17 Tennesseans, but as Greg points out
                that is only place of enlistment. There are undoubtedly others from
                Tennessee but who enlisted elsewhere. Discovering those might be
                difficult. Finally, only about half of the Rough Riders who enlisted
                actually went to Cuba. Finding out which of the Tennesseans were
                included may be a challenge. I suspect you will have to consult the
                records kept by the Army where each Rough Rider's service record may
                have much more information.

                Service.

              • Jon McGrain
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 13, 2006
                  Jim-

                  You can find the list from "The Rough Riders" online at Bartleby.com.  Here is the link:

                  Best regards-

                  Jon McGrain

                  mapheus2002 <mapheus@...> wrote:
                  Dear friends,

                  According to an article in the _Tennessee Encyclopedia of History and Culture_, 17
                  members of the First U.S. Volunteer Cavalry claimed Tennessee at their place of birth. Can
                  anyone point me to an enlistment roster where I could check this fact? My goal is an article
                  of collective biography on the Tennesseans who went to Cuba with TR.

                  Gratefully,

                  Jim Summerville

                • Michael Cawelti
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 5, 2006
                    A few years ago there were some excellent posts here on the newsgroup on
                    why TR hunted. I remember there was one in particular that summed up
                    the ethics for hunting from TR's prospective extremely well. It was a
                    statement that bridged the awkward gap (for contemporary audiences)
                    between TR as naturist/environmentalist and hunter.

                    I don't seem to have a copy of that anymore; does anyone remember that
                    piece, and have a copy they can post?

                    Thanks,

                    Michael Cawelti

                  • Jeremy Johnston
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 5, 2006
                      Michael,
                      I recall the discussion....was it the following posting by John Gable?

                      Jeremy

                      Jeremy Johnston
                      Assistant Professor of History
                      Northwest College