Re: [tr-m] Captain Archie Butt

  • earthcrone
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 1, 2006
      You should try the Theodore Roosevelt Collection at Harvard University.  They have over 10,000 photos.  If it exists, it should be there.

      Sent: Sunday, January 01, 2006 5:28 AM
      Subject: [tr-m] Captain Archie Butt

      Hello, everyone.

      Happy New Year!  :-)

      As you undoubtedly know, Captain Archie Butt was TR's military aide
      de camp (and later served President Taft in the same capacity.)  I'm
      working on a biography of Archie and am looking for photographs of
      Archie and TR together in the same picture.

      Right now I'm aware of two such photos -- one being in "The Last
      Lion" (Archie and TR are walking up a stairway together) and the
      other being in one of the early, cheap, mass-produced books about
      TR's life (in which he and the rest of the Tennis Cabinet are
      standing in a line on the White House lawn just before TR stepped
      down from office.)

      Does anyone here possess any other photos of Archie and TR together
      or know where I might be able to obtain such photos -- if any exist,
      that is?  (By the way, I've already looked at the LOC website.)

      Thanks very much for your help!

      Sincerely,

      George Behe

    • George Behe
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 2, 2006
        Dear Linda,

        > You should try the Theodore Roosevelt Collection at Harvard
        >University. They have over 10,000 photos. If it exists, it should
        >be there.

        Thanks very much for the tip -- Ed has very kindly offered to assist
        me in contacting the archive.

        I've very grateful for the helpfulness shown by the members of this
        group. You're very kind.

        Sincerely,

        George Behe
      • Tweed Roosevelt
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 9, 2006
          Have you tried Harvard, Sagamore Hill or the Birthplace?

          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 9, 2006
            Hello.

            > Have you tried Harvard, Sagamore Hill or the Birthplace?

            Not yet (although Ed has kindly offered to help me out re:
            Harvard.) Thanks very much for the suggestions.

            In many past research projects, though, I've found that archivists
            often don't have time to search their entire collections looking for
            specific (but obscure) photographs or documents. Since it's
            unlikely that I'll be able to visit any of the above archives in
            person, I was hoping that the TR researchers on this board might be
            able to steer me toward specific photos that they've uncovered
            during their own research. (That's why I posted my quesion here
            first instead of trying to approach the archives themselves.)

            Archie Butt doesn't seem to have always been at TR's elbow the way
            he was with Taft, though. Whereas I've encountered many, many
            dozens of photos of Archie and Taft together, I've only seen two
            such photos of Archie and TR. I have the feeling that Archie/TR
            photos are a bit on the rare side (although I'd love to be proved
            wrong.) :-)

            All my best,

            George
          • earthcrone
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 10, 2006
              The Harvard photos are meticulously catalogued.  Sagamore Hill has a very good idea of what they do and don't have.  It's not as difficult as you might think.

              Sent: Monday, January 09, 2006 5:44 PM
              Subject: [tr-m] Re: Captain Archie Butt

              Hello.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 10, 2006
                Hi, Linda.

                > The Harvard photos are meticulously catalogued. Sagamore Hill has a
                >very good idea of what they do and don't have. It's not as difficult
                >as you might think.

                That's good to know. (Now all I need is an archivist who's willing to
                conduct a lengthy search on my behalf.) :-)

                Thanks very much for the advice, everyone.

                All my best,

                George
              • gardunne63
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 11, 2006
                  Hi,

                  I have a postcard of TR, Archie Butt, Edith, Alice, and a few others
                  at a Lincoln birthplace event in Springfield in 1909. It's in good
                  shape.

                  You can email at gardunne63@yahoo if you are interested.

                  Thanks,

                  Julie