Trying to find the needle in the haystack! Can you help?

  • Baker, Theresa E
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 2, 2000
      I am currently researching the history of the American Rat Terrier. There
      is only one book published thus far on the breed "the Rat terrier" by Linda
      Hibbard. On page 16 she describes a ratting incident that happened in the
      Whitehouse. The story goes, that when TR moved in to the white house in
      1901 there were rats, and so he took his rat terriers and cleaned them out.
      There is a variation on this story; that when TR moved into the white house
      and found rats, he asked for a 'rat terrier'- a common terrier previously
      known as 'old time fox terrier' and thus named the breed! Indeed, due to
      the common belief that TR named the rat terrier, a long backed variety of
      rat terrier was designated a distinct breed now named the Teddy Roosevelt
      terrier, or Teddy! In my own research I have not been able to find ANYTHING
      to substantiate this, and the author of the book will not return my e-mails.
      I am thinking that this ratting incident was likely something spun up by the
      press. I am hoping you, or someone in your group can shed some light on
      this for me. ANY help you can provide will be appreciated. Also, if there
      is a place I should write to verify this white house ratting incident,
      please advise. Please respond to tbaker@...

      Thank you!
      Theresa Baker
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 3, 2000
        Sorry, we know nothing about this matter, but at some point there was a web
        page devoted to the "Roosevelt Terrier"

        Best wishes from Oyster Bay,

        John A. Gable, Ph.D.
        Executive Director TRA_Gable@...
        Theodore Roosevelt Association (516) 921-6319
        P.O. Box 719 FAX: (516) 921-6481
        Oyster Bay, NY 11771-0719 www.theodoreroosevelt.org