Our Tennessee Chapter's Teddy bears!

  • mapheus2002
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 11, 2005
      TENNESSEE CHAPTER SETS ANNUAL
      TEDDY BEAR DISTRIBUTION

      On December 16 the young patients at Monroe Carrell Children's Hospital of Vanderbilt
      University will have a treat in store.
      Thanks to grant support from the Minnie Pearl Cancer Foundation, members of the
      TRA's Tennessee chapter will be walking the halls with wagonloads of Teddy bears.
      There'll be a bear for each child being cared for that day. More bears will be left with staff
      for others admitted over the days of Christmas.
      The event marks the seventh year of this partnership between the Theodore Roosevelt
      Association's Nashville-based group and the Minnie Pearl Cancer Foundation. The Teddy
      bears given out at the hospital have brought smiles to the faces of thousands of children
      and given their anxious parents a moment of relief from care.
      "The credit goes to the Foundation's board and officers, and its executive director,
      Patrick Clemens," says TRA trustee Bruce Holley.
      Minnie Pearl, a classic American folk character, was created and played by Sarah Cannon
      on the Grand Ol Opry to worldwide acclaim. Mrs. Cannon was diagnosed with cancer in
      1987, and the Foundation was subsequently named for her. It supports cancer research
      and education for the people of Middle Tennessee and beyond.
      For details about the December 16 event, contact MBHolley@...
      More information about the Minnie Pearl Cancer Foundation can be found on its website:
      www.minniepearl.org

      PICTURE CAPTION: Bruce Holley and daughter Jordon headed the Tennessee Chapter's
      2004 Teddy Bear distribution project at the Children's Hospital at Vanderbilt. PHOTO BY
      JAMES SUMMERVILLE
    • Michael Cawelti
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 12, 2005
        Hi All,

        Just a note to say I am off to "Cuba" (Tampa, FL) this Tuesday to start
        filming "The Spanish American War", a multi-houred epic documentary for
        The History Channel. I'll be playing the Colonel for a week and a half
        down there. We will be working with the best of the Spanish American
        War re-enactment units from all over the country. The scale will be
        pretty large, and so the war footage ought to be grand.

        It's a very interesting script based mostly on original material, and
        they won't be doing the Ken Burns "pan and scan" with voice over. Major
        characters will be portrayed and "interviewed" throughout, with many of
        the scenes performed (along with original footage and pics). The story
        will be told from all sides, from American military & politicians, to
        Cuban fighters, and Spanish military, etc.

        The script is historically faithful, and TR is portrayed well.

        I've been told it will be one of THC's biggest projects for 2006. It
        will supposedly air late Fall or Winter 2006.

        Thanks to Tweed and Ed for the chat at Pine Knot.

        Cheers,

        Michael Cawelti
      • Emma Lathan
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 13, 2005
          Cool!  I'll look for it next year.  The format that you described looks to be the format for history documentaries.  A definite change from the Ken Burn's technique of pan, scan and voiceover.
          Have fun.

          --
          "When we started skating, we had no role models in Poland to follow, we just had a wish."
          -- Zagorska and Siudek, 1999 World Bronze medalist-figure skating pair from Poland
          Always remember Ferengi Rule of Acquisition Number 76: Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies."
          - Quark (Deep Space Nine)
          "I had forgotten that men could not see unicorns. Just because they cannot see them does not mean they do not exist."
          - The Unicorn  (The Last Unicorn)
          "Sometimes I think the universe just waits for me to get cocky."
          - Egon (The Real Ghostbusters cartoon)
          "A man is as happy as he makes up his mind to be."
          - Abraham Lincoln
          "Please try to understand before one of us dies..."
          - John Cleese as Basil Fawlty
          "Killing you is on our to do list. Please be polite and wait your turn. "
          - The Game Operation Division
          "I'm not going there to die. I just need to know if I was ever really alive."
          - Spike (Cowboy Bebop)