Advice needed in France

  • nico.minna@wanadoo.fr
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 26, 2000
      Hello,

      could anyone recommend a good non-partisan biography of TR ?
    • Edward J. Renehan Jr.
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 27, 2000
        The very best 1-volume life of TR is William Harbaugh's POWER &
        RESPONSIBILITY: THE LIFE AND TIMES OF THEODORE ROOSEVELT published in
        the early sixties by FS&G. More recently, Nathan Miller's 1-volume life
        of TR is completely servicable and unbiased. Then, of course, you have
        excellent volumes dedicated to aspects of TR's life, such as
        McCullough's MORNINGS ON HORSEBACK (childhood and young adulthood) and
        THE RISE OF THEODORE ROOSEVELT (same general period but embracing more
        of TR's adult life.) The latter won a Pulitzer. All best, ---- Ed
        Renehan

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 27, 2000
          Postscript: I neglected to mention the author of RISE OF THEODORE
          ROOSEVELT is Edmund Morris. All best, ---- Ed Renehan

          Edward J. Renehan Jr. wrote:

          > The very best 1-volume life of TR is William Harbaugh's POWER &
          > RESPONSIBILITY: THE LIFE AND TIMES OF THEODORE ROOSEVELT published in
          > the early sixties by FS&G. More recently, Nathan Miller's 1-volume life
          > of TR is completely servicable and unbiased. Then, of course, you have
          > excellent volumes dedicated to aspects of TR's life, such as
          > McCullough's MORNINGS ON HORSEBACK (childhood and young adulthood) and
          > THE RISE OF THEODORE ROOSEVELT (same general period but embracing more
          > of TR's adult life.) The latter won a Pulitzer. All best, ---- Ed
          > Renehan
          >
          > nico.minna@... wrote:
          > >
          > > Hello,
          > >
          > > could anyone recommend a good non-partisan biography of TR ?

        • TRA
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 31, 2000
            For a full-life biography, there is "Power and Responsibility: The Life and
            Times of Theodore Roosevelt" by William H. Harbaugh.

            For his earlier life, there's "The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt" by Edmund
            Morris. This covers his life up until the time he became President. Morris
            is working on the second volume, dealing with TR's Presidency, which is
            expected in September 2001.

            There is also the biography by Nathan Miller, and a book on TR and his
            family's influence on his earlier life, entitled "Mornings on Horseback" by
            David McCullough.

            All of these books are in print and currently available.

            Best wishes from Oyster Bay,

            Linda Milano
            Assistant Director TRA_Milano@...
            Theodore Roosevelt Association (516) 921-6319
            P.O. Box 719 FAX: (516) 921-6481
            Oyster Bay, NY 11771-0719 www.theodoreroosevelt.org