T.R. and Portsmouth

  • at_the_reb
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2005
      First, let me thank you for allowing me to join your discusisons on
      one of America's greatest presidents, I truly appreciate. I am a
      graduate student interested in writing a seminar paper, and perhaps my
      master's thesis, on Theodore Roosevelt and his role in the Treaty of
      Portsmouth. I may expand this topic to include his projection of US
      power into Asia. I realize that the White Fleet was part of his power
      projection, but what other measures did President Roosevelt take to
      expand the prestige of the US in Asia? I will most likely be unable to
      travel outside of my state in the Midwest to access any sources, thus
      my question: What primary/secondary resources are readily available
      that I can utilize on Roosevelt and his role in resolving the
      Russo-Japanese War and his projection of US power into Asia?

      I appreciate any input you might provide and look forward to
      participating in future discussions,

      R.B.
    • Tweed Roosevelt
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2005
        There is of course a lot of material on this subject. Several books have
        been written on the subject, two of the best are Roosevelt and the
        Russo-Japanese War by Tyler Dennett and Theodore Roosevelt and Japan by
        Raymond A. Esthus. Then there is Theodore Roosevelt and the Great White
        Fleet; American Sea Power Comes of Age by Wimmel. Of course you will want
        to consult TR's writings, especially his autobiography and his collected
        letters, Morrison in 8 vols. You will also want to look at most of the
        more recent biographies starting with Pringle and running up through those
        published in the last few years. Two books on foreign policy and
        colonialism worth looking at are Beale's Theodore Roosevelt and the Rise of
        America to a World Power and the more recent Zimmermann, First great
        Triumph. There is, of course, a great deal more. Perhaps you would like
        to log into the Harvard Library systems web site where you can learn about
        what they have. Also the Library of Congress at
        http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/trhtml/trhome.html. Those are the two great
        repositories of TR primary material. Also go to the Theodore Roosevelt
        Association site. http://www.theodoreroosevelt.org/ and click on to the TR
        Cyclopedia http://www.theodoreroosevelt.org/TR%20Web%20Book/Index.html
        which is a good source and can be accessed on line. This is just a
        beginning but ought to be of help