Re: [tr-m] TR Trivia - First Auto Riding Prez

  • Michael Cawelti
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 22, 2005
      I can imagine him shouting "By Godfrey!" over the roar of the one cylander engine.  :-)

      Seems fitting as he was also the first up in an airplane.  Now that took some fortitude.

      Michael Cawelti

      E. Summer wrote:
      According to a tiny news item on NPR this morning, TR was the first
      American President to ride in an automobile and he did so on this day in 1902.

      I suspect that he wouldn't have fastened his seat belt even if there had
      been such a thing.

      Edward Summer
      Planetarium Station
      POB 502
      NY, NY 10024-0502

    • Linda Shookster
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 23, 2005
        And, of course, TR was the first President to go down in a submarine! If
        space travel had been existent, I wouldn't have been surprised had he
        decided to try some exploration!

        Best, Linda

        > I can imagine him shouting "By Godfrey!" over the roar of the one
        > cylander engine.  :-)
        >
        > Seems fitting as he was also the first up in an airplane.  Now that
        > took some fortitude.
        >
        > Michael Cawelti
        >

        > E. Summer wrote:
        >
        > According to a tiny news item on NPR this morning, TR was the first
        > American President to ride in an automobile and he did so on this day in
        > 1902.
        >
        > I suspect that he wouldn't have fastened his seat belt even if there had
        >
        > been such a thing.
        >
        > Edward Summer
        > Planetarium Station
        > POB 502
        > NY, NY 10024-0502

        > Theodore roosevelt
        >

        > United states
        >

        > United state army
        >

        > United state coin
        >

        > United state flag
        >

        > United state military

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >

        >  Visit your group "tr-m" on the web.
        >  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
        > to: tr-m-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com   Your use of
        > Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

      • Tweed Roosevelt
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 23, 2005
          Actually, TR's driving was so poor that Edith eventually forbid him to get behind the wheel.

          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 23, 2005
            He was also the first to fly in a plane. In fact, there is quite a story
            about TR and flying. For example he was one of the first to recognize the
            military potential of heavier then air flight, even giving the Navy orders
            to look into it as a potential for them and this was before the Wright
            brothers famous flight. For some time now I have been preparing a list of
            TR firsts. The list I suppose now has about 100 items on it. Some day,
            hopefully fairly soon, I will publish it.

          • earthcrone
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 23, 2005
              He ran his first car into the ground within a year.  According to John Gable, TR could never understand why cars didn't avoid holes in the ground the way horses did.  There's a picture of him driving through Queens in his second car in the book "TR: Champion of the Strenuous Life."

              For his second car, he took his mechanic, Frederick Gear, with him to help pick it out.  When Gear's daughter Florence was born, TR gave the new father $5.00 (a week's pay at the time) and a copy of his new book, "Fear God and Take Your own Part." As far as I know, Florence still has the book.

              Sent: Tuesday, August 23, 2005 3:10 PM