new TR book

  • Tom Peeling
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 18 10:42 AM
      Ed, others:
      I managed to get a pre-publication copy of The River of Doubt :
      Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey by Candice Millard, which is coming
      out Oct. 18. What a wonderful book about TR's 1913-14 journey through
      the Amazon Basin. It caused me to get up at 4 a.m. today to keep
      reading. I couldn't lie there awake in bed knowing the book was sitting
      in the living room and I had not finished it. Can't wait to get home and
      read the last 70 pages. I highly recommend it to everyone. It's
      Millard's first book. She's a writer and editor at National Geographic

      --
      Tom Peeling
      Suburban Editor

      "It is not the critic who counts: not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles or where the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, ... who, at the best, knows, in the end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who knew neither victory nor defeat."
      -- Theodore Roosevelt, "Citizenship in a Republic" speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23, 1910
    • Edward J. Renehan Jr.
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 18 11:07 AM
        Tom: You're right. The book is indeed excellent, and
        will be a welcome contribution to the literature when
        it emerges in October. Best, - Ed

        --- Tom Peeling <tpeeling@...> wrote:

        > Ed, others:
        > I managed to get a pre-publication copy of The
        > River of Doubt :
        > Theodore Roosevelt's Darkest Journey by Candice
        > Millard, which is coming
        > out Oct. 18. What a wonderful book about TR's
        > 1913-14 journey through
        > the Amazon Basin. It caused me to get up at 4 a.m.
        > today to keep
        > reading. I couldn't lie there awake in bed knowing
        > the book was sitting
        > in the living room and I had not finished it. Can't
        > wait to get home and
        > read the last 70 pages. I highly recommend it to
        > everyone. It's
        > Millard's first book. She's a writer and editor at
        > National Geographic
        >
        > --
        > Tom Peeling
        > Suburban Editor
        > The Palm Beach Post
        > 2751 S. Dixie Highway
        > West Palm Beach, Fla. 33405
        > (561) 820-4765
        > Fax: 561-837-8320
        > E-mail: Tom_Peeling@...
        >
        > "It is not the critic who counts: not the man
        > who points out how the strong man stumbles or where
        > the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit
        > belongs to the man who is actually in the arena,
        > whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood,
        > who strives valiantly, who errs and comes up short
        > again and again, ... who, at the best, knows, in the
        > end, the triumph of high achievement, and who, at
        > the worst, if he fails, at least he fails while
        > daring greatly, so that his place shall never be
        > with those cold and timid souls who knew neither
        > victory nor defeat."
        > -- Theodore Roosevelt, "Citizenship in a
        > Republic" speech at the Sorbonne, Paris, April 23,
        > 1910

        EDWARD J. RENEHAN JR.

        Sporadic blog:
        http://renehan.blogspot.com

        XML syndication:
        http://feeds.feedburner.com/ejr

        CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this e-mail
        message and any attachment(s) is for the sole use of the intended
        recipient(s), which is confidential and/or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this e-mail information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you for your cooperation.