TR Portraits in Oyster Bay

  • Linda Shookster
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 15, 2005
      Hi,

      I hope that everyone is enjoying the summer! I'm forwarding an
      interesting question that came via The Friends of Sagamore Hill
      Website from an art gallery in NYC . Neither the Curator at the Site
      nor the Oyster Bay Town Historian, himself a Lodge member, was able
      to answer it. I hope a light goes on in someone's head!

      Here is the question:

      I am researching large portraits of Theodore Roosevelt, one full-length
      and one on horseback that were in the Matinecock Lodge and lost in a
      fire of 2003.  I am trying to discover the artist who painted them and
      any other information about them.  Apparently, Theodore Roosevelt was a
      member of the lodge and the oils were donated to the lodge by family
      members in the mid-20th century.  Please contact me with any
      information.  Thank you, LIberty, )'Toole-Ewald Art Associates, NYC

      Thanks, Linda