Re: [tr-m] Jack London and TR

  • Edward J. Renehan Jr.
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 9, 2005
      See the most definitive Jack London bio to date, JACK:
      A BIOGRAPHY OF JACK LONDON by Andrew Sinclair (Harper
      & Row, 1977). p. 137.

      The year is 1904. The place, Korea. Jack is a
      correspondent for the Hewarst syndicate:

      " ... Jack continually provoked the Japanese
      commanders, as if he were still a Road Kid playing
      games with the railroad bulls. In the worst of several
      incidents in Korea, he knocked down an impudent and
      thieving groom. The oversensitive Japanese authorities
      threatened him with a court-martial. Only another
      intervention by Richard Harding Davis, who arranged a
      protest from Theodore Roosevelt himself, rplaced the
      court-martial trial with an expulsion order from
      Korea. Jack was only too willing to oblige. Disguisted
      at seeing no action except for a long-distance view of
      the easy Japanese victory at the crossing of the Yalu
      River, he returned to San Francisco in early July."

      - EJR

      --- Greg Wynn <gregwynn@...> wrote:

      > Mr. Summer:
      >
      > Very interesting. I belive that this fictional.
      > But, would be curious
      > to hear what others think.
      >
      > What I do know is that, in fact, while TR had
      > postive, meaningful
      > correspondence with many literary masters of the
      > period to include Kipling,
      > Brander Matthews, Edith Wharton, Edward Arlington
      > Robinson etc....
      >
      > He was absolutely not a fan of Jack London. In
      > fact, he considered him
      > to be one of the "animal romantics" and involved him
      > in the "Nature Faker"
      > row.
      >
      > At one point, in 1908, TR professed to stop
      > reading London completely.
      >
      > (Also likely due to London's politics....)
      >
      > All best,
      > Greg Wynn

      EDWARD J. RENEHAN JR.

      RI office at home : 401-294-2657
      RI fax : 401-295-1984

      Roosevelt office -
      Oyster Bay, NY : 516-921-6319, ext. 11
      fax : 516-921-6481
      MOST Wednesdays/Thursdays

      Personal Web Page
      http://www.writers.net/writers/5155

      CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this e-mail
      message and any attachment(s) is for the sole use of the intended
      recipient(s), which is confidential and/or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this e-mail information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you for your cooperation.
    • Greg Wynn
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 9, 2005
        Interesting. However, even the most definitive biographies of TR -- to
        include obscure scholarly studies focusing on the Russo-Japanese War have no
        mention of this. I would like to know more regarding TR's personal
        intervention, if in fact, it occurred. Sounds suspicious.

        Nevertheless, certainly, TR had precedent for intervening in such cases, ie:
        the Morrocan affair (Rasuli --- spelling?) in cases where American
        citizens were in jeopardy (which also was proven to be questionable....)