Jack London and TR

  • E. Summer
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 9, 2005
      Last evening I re-watched "Jack London," a 1943 film, that seems to exist
      as exercise in anti-Japanese propaganda more than it does as a biography.
      Nonetheless it holds some interest for TR watchers and London fans and is
      available for only $4.99.

      In the story, TR is shown as directly responsible for London's release from
      imprisonment by the Japanese in Korea during what appears to be a highly
      fictionalized Russo-Japanese war.

      I'm wondering if anyone can comment briefly on what, if anything, really
      occurred that involved TR?

      It's reassuring to see a small reawakening of this list and my regards to
      fellow hangers on.

      Edward Summer
      Planetarium Station
      POB 502
      NY, NY 10024-0502
    • Greg Wynn
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 9, 2005
        Mr. Summer:

        Very interesting. I belive that this fictional. But, would be curious
        to hear what others think.

        What I do know is that, in fact, while TR had postive, meaningful
        correspondence with many literary masters of the period to include Kipling,
        Brander Matthews, Edith Wharton, Edward Arlington Robinson etc....

        He was absolutely not a fan of Jack London. In fact, he considered him
        to be one of the "animal romantics" and involved him in the "Nature Faker"
        row.

        At one point, in 1908, TR professed to stop reading London completely.

        (Also likely due to London's politics....)

        All best,
        Greg Wynn

        > Last evening I re-watched "Jack London," a 1943 film, that seems to exist
        > as exercise in anti-Japanese propaganda more than it does as a biography.
        > Nonetheless it holds some interest for TR watchers and London fans and is
        > available for only $4.99.
        >
        > In the story, TR is shown as directly responsible for London's release
        > from
        > imprisonment by the Japanese in Korea during what appears to be a highly
        > fictionalized Russo-Japanese war.
        >
        > I'm wondering if anyone can comment briefly on what, if anything, really
        > occurred that involved TR?
        >
        > It's reassuring to see a small reawakening of this list and my regards to
        > fellow hangers on.
        >
        > Edward Summer
        > Planetarium Station
        > POB 502
        > NY, NY 10024-0502

      • Edward J. Renehan Jr.
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 9, 2005
          See the most definitive Jack London bio to date, JACK:
          A BIOGRAPHY OF JACK LONDON by Andrew Sinclair (Harper
          & Row, 1977). p. 137.

          The year is 1904. The place, Korea. Jack is a
          correspondent for the Hewarst syndicate:

          " ... Jack continually provoked the Japanese
          commanders, as if he were still a Road Kid playing
          games with the railroad bulls. In the worst of several
          incidents in Korea, he knocked down an impudent and
          thieving groom. The oversensitive Japanese authorities
          threatened him with a court-martial. Only another
          intervention by Richard Harding Davis, who arranged a
          protest from Theodore Roosevelt himself, rplaced the
          court-martial trial with an expulsion order from
          Korea. Jack was only too willing to oblige. Disguisted
          at seeing no action except for a long-distance view of
          the easy Japanese victory at the crossing of the Yalu
          River, he returned to San Francisco in early July."

          - EJR

          --- Greg Wynn <gregwynn@...> wrote:

          > Mr. Summer:
          >
          > Very interesting. I belive that this fictional.
          > But, would be curious
          > to hear what others think.
          >
          > What I do know is that, in fact, while TR had
          > postive, meaningful
          > correspondence with many literary masters of the
          > period to include Kipling,
          > Brander Matthews, Edith Wharton, Edward Arlington
          > Robinson etc....
          >
          > He was absolutely not a fan of Jack London. In
          > fact, he considered him
          > to be one of the "animal romantics" and involved him
          > in the "Nature Faker"
          > row.
          >
          > At one point, in 1908, TR professed to stop
          > reading London completely.
          >
          > (Also likely due to London's politics....)
          >
          > All best,
          > Greg Wynn

          EDWARD J. RENEHAN JR.

          RI office at home : 401-294-2657
          RI fax : 401-295-1984

          Roosevelt office -
          Oyster Bay, NY : 516-921-6319, ext. 11
          fax : 516-921-6481
          MOST Wednesdays/Thursdays

          Personal Web Page
          http://www.writers.net/writers/5155

          CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this e-mail
          message and any attachment(s) is for the sole use of the intended
          recipient(s), which is confidential and/or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution or taking of any action in reliance on the contents of this e-mail information is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message. Thank you for your cooperation.
        • Greg Wynn
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 9, 2005
            Interesting. However, even the most definitive biographies of TR -- to
            include obscure scholarly studies focusing on the Russo-Japanese War have no
            mention of this. I would like to know more regarding TR's personal
            intervention, if in fact, it occurred. Sounds suspicious.

            Nevertheless, certainly, TR had precedent for intervening in such cases, ie:
            the Morrocan affair (Rasuli --- spelling?) in cases where American
            citizens were in jeopardy (which also was proven to be questionable....)