T.R. Bodyguards

  • Rollercoasterjr
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 23, 2005
      Hi,
      I am looking for some information about a man named "Henry Bigalow".

      Fifty years ago my grandfather in Cheyenne, Wyoming told me stories
      about this man Henry, who was his brother-in-law. Old Henry was still
      alive then and owned a big ranch about 50 miles North West of
      Cheyenne. These stories always fascinated me. Now I have the time to
      look into these things but don't know where to turn. I am hoping
      someone in your group will know something or can offer me a lead.

      One of the stories goes that Henry was T.R.s bodyguard and an old
      1903 Springfield rifle made in 1906 was the weapon used in his duties
      protecting the president. On all of our visits out too Henry's ranch,
      I use to ogle this rifle that always stood, in the ready, by the
      front door. I would never have asked to handle this rifle, never
      having earned the right. My grandfather told me old Henry could still

      out shoot most any younger man with that old rifle. I believe Henry
      pasted away about 1970-75 at approx. 75-85 years old.

      I assumed Henry might have been in the Roughriders but came to a dead
      end there. Perhaps he was not old enough?? I cannot access his
      military record, if he has one, for lack of information.

      This morning I watched a show on the History Channel about the story
      of T.R. On this presentation they had an interesting sidebit of info
      that might lead me to the answer I have been looking for. This show
      said while T.R. was president he was protected by the Secret Service.
      OK. Except when he went out West he wanted some real savvy horsemen
      and guys that knew the land and how to get along in the wild, not
      desk jockey city type Agents(their words not mine). Now this makes
      perfect sense to me as to the right time line and fits for a man of

      Henrys' talents. What I am wondering now is: is this story they told
      on the history channel true? And how could I find out who the men
      were that he chose to ride with him if it is true? If none of this
      reveals any new info can someone suggest any other ways to discover
      the truth of this
       story???

      I want to thank all of you who have taken the time to listen to this
      story if you can help or not. And by the way, the Springfield rifle
      seems to have disappeared. It was given to my grandfather in Henrys'
      will, but where is it now?? Another mystery for me to
       investigate.
      Thanks again.

      Eddie

      emyers45@...

      http://mail.yahoo.com

    • Jeremy Johnston
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 24, 2005
        Eddie,

        You may find some information in a booklet called, "Roosevelt in the Bunkhouse and Other Sketches: Visits of the Great Rought Rider To Wyoming in 1900, 1903, and 1910" by William Chapin Deming. I wonder if Henry Bigalow belonged to a small group of ranchers and Wyoming politicians who escorted Roosevelt from Laramie to Cheyenne during his visit in 1903? This may be where Henry Bigalow became known as a Roosevelt bodyguard. I believe this visit is also detailed in "Roosevelt Among the People" by Addison C. Thomas. I would also contact the Wyoming State Historical Collections in Cheyenne to see what information they have on Bigalow and his ranch.

        Good luck!
        Jeremy Johnston

        ________________________________

[...]

        emyers45@... <http://us.f522.mail.yahoo.com/ym/Compose?To=emyers45@...&YY=59225&order=down&sort=date&pos=0&view=a&head=b>

      • Vince Liberto
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 13 9:56 PM
          Just a comment...
          No need to reply unless of course there is a
          need to...
          I'm really missing Dr. Gable's commentary and
          insight on a lot of these great TR topics that
          keep coming up.
          I'm saddened by his passing.
          I'm sure many others are as well.
          It's been a while now, but I still feel it.
          I only spoke to him on the phone a few times but
          he was so cordial and kind and passionate about
          TR.
          He always made me feel good and welcomed.

          "Whence cometh another?"
          Vince Liberto
          New Orleans

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Linda Shookster
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 14 4:20 PM
            Vince, I think we all feel the same way. John always had the "final
            answer" on all puzzling questions involving TR. He was the glue binding
            the TRA together, and, from the last TRA Journal's "Best Wishes from
            Oyster Bay," the man was indeed a legend.

            I guess you know by now that a memorial stone for John has been placed
            right near TR's immediate family plot in Young's Memorial Cemetery in
            Oyster Bay. It looks like a grave marker. My personal sentiment is that,
            although John's body is buried in Lenox, MA, his heart is right there in
            Oyster Bay. I've started visiting the spot en route to Friends of
            Sagamore Hill monthly meetings. I was there last night, and I'm glad that
            someone has planted white impatients and red geraniums all around the
            marker. I feel a need to visit the spot, but, of course, it's sad to go
            there.

            Best wishes from the Oyster Bay area, Linda

            > Just a comment...
            > No need to reply unless of course there is a
            > need to...
            > I'm really missing Dr. Gable's commentary and
            > insight on a lot of these great TR topics that
            > keep coming up.
            > I'm saddened by his passing.
            > I'm sure many others are as well.
            > It's been a while now, but I still feel it.
            > I only spoke to him on the phone a few times but
            > he was so cordial and kind and passionate about
            > TR.
            > He always made me feel good and welcomed.
            >
            > "Whence cometh another?"
            > Vince Liberto
            > New Orleans

            > http://mail.yahoo.com

            > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
            >

            >  Visit your group "tr-m" on the web.
            >  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
            > to: tr-m-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com   Your use of
            > Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

          • E. Summer
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 14 6:28 PM
              Thank you for sharing the information about the memorial stone.

              I hadn't known, and it is at once sad, incredibly appropriate, and reassuring to know that in one way or another, he'll always be hanging around.

              At 07:20 PM 7/14/05, you wrote:

              I guess you know by now that a memorial stone for John has been placed
              right near TR's immediate family plot in Young's Memorial Cemetery in
              Oyster Bay.

              Edward Summer
              Planetarium Station
              POB 502
              NY, NY 10024-0502

            • kenmessina@comcast.net
              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 15 4:36 AM
                Linda,

                Thanks for sharing this.

                I just imagine John and TR having long talks....

                Best,

                Ken Messina
                Keene, NH