Re: [tr-m] RIP Dr. John A. Gable, Ph.D., 1943-2005

  • Harry Lembeck
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 20, 2005
      This is really terrible news. At an early meeting with John, I
      casually mentioned an incident involving Quentin and his friends that
      I'd read about in a book called White House Gang. John quoted back to
      me, almost word for word, the passage from the book. He really was
      remarkable and will be missed.
      On Feb 19, 2005, at 4:25 PM, Edward J. Renehan Jr. wrote:

> [...]
      > Presidency. He is listed in Who’s Who in the East,
      > Who’s Who in America and Who’s Who in the World.
      >
      > Dr. Gable published extensively on Theodore Roosevelt
      > and related topics. His The Bull Moose Years: Theodore
      > Roosevelt and the Progressive Party (Port Washington,
      > NY: Kennikat Press, 1978) is considered a classic in
      > the literature. His other Theodore Roosevelt-related
      > writings include numerous magazine and journal
      > articles, forewords, introductions, contributed
      > chapters, and prefaces, along with a number of books
      > for which he served as editor. Most recently, he’d
      > been especially proud to serve as the editor for a
      > special armed forces edition of Theodore Roosevelt’s
      > The Man in the Arena, a compendium of speeches,
      > letters and essays. Dr. Gable also wrote a
      > highly-respected history of his boyhood church, The
      > Goodness that Doth Crown Our Days: A History of
      > Trinity Parish, Lenox, Massachusetts (Trinity Parish,
      > Lenox, MA, 1993), and a history of his adopted church
      > in Oyster Bay: How Firm a Foundation: The Anglican
      > Church in Oyster Bay, New York and Colonial America
      > (Oyster Bay: Christ Church, 2004).
      >
      > Dr. Gable did extensive television and film work. He
      > served as historical consultant and on-camera
      > commentator for TR: An American Lion, produced and
      > directed by David de Vries and shown as a History
      > Channel special in 2003. Additionally, he appeared in
      > the PBS “American Experience” film TR: The Story of
      > Theodore Roosevelt (1996), and in numerous productions
      > for A&E, C-SPAN and NBC (including the Today Show).
      >
      > Shortly before his death, Dr. Gable had been voted the
      > Theodore Roosevelt Distinguished Service Medal: an
      > honor previously granted to such scholars, statesman
      > and artists as David McCullough, George H.W. Bush,
      > Hamilton Fish, Paul Nitze, Philip Habib, Ralph Bunche,
      > and Robert Frost. (Another recipient was Dr. Gable’s
      > own mentor and forerunner as Executive Director of the
      > Association, Herman Hagedorn, who received the Medal
      > in 1956.) As well, one month ago, Dr. Gable was
      > presented with a special book of personal tributes
      > composed by more than two dozen of his friends and
      > colleagues, among them the Pulitzer Prize winners
      > Edmund Morris, James MacGregor Burns, David McCullough
      > and Arthur Schlesinger Jr.
      >
      > Dr. Gable’s survivors include his mother, Mary Jane
      > Gable, of Naples, Florida; a brother, Patrick Gable of
      > Pittsfield, MA; a sister, Bonnie Jean Gable, of Lenox,
      > MA; a sister-in-law, Janet Gable, of Pittsfield; and
      > nieces Mary and Bonnie Jean, of Los Angeles and
      > Corvallis, Oregon, respectively.
      >
      > A memorial service will be held 11 AM on Friday,
      > February 25th, at Christ Church, 61 East Main Street,
      > Oyster Bay. A later funeral service will be held at
      > Trinity Parish, Lenox, MA.
      >
      > In lieu of flowers, the family asks that contributions
      > be made to Christ Church (address above) or the
      > Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 719, Oyster

    • Jeremy Johnston
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 20, 2005
        I agree Harry...this is a terrible loss. Not only was John an incredible source of vast information regarding TR, he also encouraged and supported future scholars researching TR's life and the Progressive Era. I always looked forward to hearing him speak and identify topics pertaining to TR that have yet to be fully researched.

        I hope that the directors of the TRA will examine the possibility of establishing an annual award honoring new TR scholarship (magazine articles, books, dissertations, etc.) in John's memory. It could be awarded at the annual meetings and then the recipient would present their findings in a presentation to the association membership. This would be a good way to continue John's efforts to encourage and support further research on TR's life.

        Jeremy Johnston
        Assistant Professor of History
        Northwest College
        231 West 6th Street
        Powell, WY 82435
        (307) 754-6008
        jeremy.johnston@...

        ________________________________

> [...]

        > composed by more than two dozen of his friends and
        > colleagues, among them the Pulitzer Prize winners
        > Edmund Morris, James MacGregor Burns, David McCullough
        > and Arthur Schlesinger Jr.
        >
        > Dr. Gable's survivors include his mother, Mary Jane
        > Gable, of Naples, Florida; a brother, Patrick Gable of
        > Pittsfield, MA; a sister, Bonnie Jean Gable, of Lenox,
        > MA; a sister-in-law, Janet Gable, of Pittsfield; and
        > nieces Mary and Bonnie Jean, of Los Angeles and
        > Corvallis, Oregon, respectively.
        >
        > A memorial service will be held 11 AM on Friday,
        > February 25th, at Christ Church, 61 East Main Street,
        > Oyster Bay. A later funeral service will be held at
        > Trinity Parish, Lenox, MA.
        >
        > In lieu of flowers, the family asks that contributions
        > be made to Christ Church (address above) or the
        > Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 719, Oyster

        Yahoo! Groups Links