RIP Dr. John A. Gable, Ph.D., 1943-2005

  • Edward J. Renehan Jr.
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 19, 2005
      FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

      Theodore Roosevelt Association
      P.O. Box 719
      Oyster Bay, NY 11771-0719

      (516) 921-6319 FAX: (516) 921-6481

      http://www.theodoreroosevelt.org

      John Allen Gable, Ph.D.

      1943 - 2005

      With profound regret, the Theodore Roosevelt
      Association announces the death yesterday, Feburary
      18th, of its executive director, friend, and guiding
      light of nearly 31 years, Dr. John Allen Gable, Ph.D.

      Dr. Gable was widely considered the world�s leading
      authority on Theodore Roosevelt. He became Executive
      Director of the Theodore Roosevelt Association in
      1974. He founded and began editing the Theodore
      Roosevelt Association Journal, a quarterly
      publication, in 1975.

      Dr. Gable graduated from Kenyon College in Gambier,
      Ohio in 1965 and received his Ph.D. in History from
      Brown University, Providence, RI, in 1972. He held
      teaching positions at various colleges and
      universities (C.W. Post Campus, Long Island
      University, 1977-89; Briarcliff College, 1974-1977;
      Brown University 1972-73). Since 1989, he�d served as
      Adjunct Professor of History at New College, Hofstra
      University.

      Dr. Gable was a member of the Theodore Roosevelt
      Memorial Committee at the American Museum of Natural
      History and the Advisory Board of the Roosevelt Study
      Center in The Netherlands. He was on the Vestry of
      Christ (Episcopal) Church, Oyster Bay, NY, and was a
      past trustee of the Oyster Bay Historical Society.
      Among the other organizations to which he belonged
      were the Organization of American Historians, the
      Society for the Preservation of Long Island
      Antiquities, and the Center for the Study of the
      Presidency. He is listed in Who�s Who in the East,
      Who�s Who in America and Who�s Who in the World.

      Dr. Gable published extensively on Theodore Roosevelt
      and related topics. His The Bull Moose Years: Theodore
      Roosevelt and the Progressive Party (Port Washington,
      NY: Kennikat Press, 1978) is considered a classic in
      the literature. His other Theodore Roosevelt-related
      writings include numerous magazine and journal
      articles, forewords, introductions, contributed
      chapters, and prefaces, along with a number of books
      for which he served as editor. Most recently, he�d
      been especially proud to serve as the editor for a
      special armed forces edition of Theodore Roosevelt�s
      The Man in the Arena, a compendium of speeches,
      letters and essays. Dr. Gable also wrote a
      highly-respected history of his boyhood church, The
      Goodness that Doth Crown Our Days: A History of
      Trinity Parish, Lenox, Massachusetts (Trinity Parish,
      Lenox, MA, 1993), and a history of his adopted church
      in Oyster Bay: How Firm a Foundation: The Anglican
      Church in Oyster Bay, New York and Colonial America
      (Oyster Bay: Christ Church, 2004).

      Dr. Gable did extensive television and film work. He
      served as historical consultant and on-camera
      commentator for TR: An American Lion, produced and
      directed by David de Vries and shown as a History
      Channel special in 2003. Additionally, he appeared in
      the PBS �American Experience� film TR: The Story of
      Theodore Roosevelt (1996), and in numerous productions
      for A&E, C-SPAN and NBC (including the Today Show).

      Shortly before his death, Dr. Gable had been voted the
      Theodore Roosevelt Distinguished Service Medal: an
      honor previously granted to such scholars, statesman
      and artists as David McCullough, George H.W. Bush,
      Hamilton Fish, Paul Nitze, Philip Habib, Ralph Bunche,
      and Robert Frost. (Another recipient was Dr. Gable�s
      own mentor and forerunner as Executive Director of the
      Association, Herman Hagedorn, who received the Medal
      in 1956.) As well, one month ago, Dr. Gable was
      presented with a special book of personal tributes
      composed by more than two dozen of his friends and
      colleagues, among them the Pulitzer Prize winners
      Edmund Morris, James MacGregor Burns, David McCullough
      and Arthur Schlesinger Jr.

      Dr. Gable�s survivors include his mother, Mary Jane
      Gable, of Naples, Florida; a brother, Patrick Gable of
      Pittsfield, MA; a sister, Bonnie Jean Gable, of Lenox,
      MA; a sister-in-law, Janet Gable, of Pittsfield; and
      nieces Mary and Bonnie Jean, of Los Angeles and
      Corvallis, Oregon, respectively.

      A memorial service will be held 11 AM on Friday,
      February 25th, at Christ Church, 61 East Main Street,
      Oyster Bay. A later funeral service will be held at
      Trinity Parish, Lenox, MA.

      In lieu of flowers, the family asks that contributions
      be made to Christ Church (address above) or the
      Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 719, Oyster
      Bay, NY 11771.

      =====
      EDWARD J. RENEHAN JR.
      erenehan[at]yahoo.com

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Harry Lembeck
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 20, 2005
        This is really terrible news. At an early meeting with John, I
        casually mentioned an incident involving Quentin and his friends that
        I'd read about in a book called White House Gang. John quoted back to
        me, almost word for word, the passage from the book. He really was
        remarkable and will be missed.
        On Feb 19, 2005, at 4:25 PM, Edward J. Renehan Jr. wrote:

> [...]
        > composed by more than two dozen of his friends and
        > colleagues, among them the Pulitzer Prize winners
        > Edmund Morris, James MacGregor Burns, David McCullough
        > and Arthur Schlesinger Jr.
        >
        > Dr. Gable’s survivors include his mother, Mary Jane
        > Gable, of Naples, Florida; a brother, Patrick Gable of
        > Pittsfield, MA; a sister, Bonnie Jean Gable, of Lenox,
        > MA; a sister-in-law, Janet Gable, of Pittsfield; and
        > nieces Mary and Bonnie Jean, of Los Angeles and
        > Corvallis, Oregon, respectively.
        >
        > A memorial service will be held 11 AM on Friday,
        > February 25th, at Christ Church, 61 East Main Street,
        > Oyster Bay. A later funeral service will be held at
        > Trinity Parish, Lenox, MA.
        >
        > In lieu of flowers, the family asks that contributions
        > be made to Christ Church (address above) or the
        > Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 719, Oyster

      • Jeremy Johnston
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 20, 2005
          I agree Harry...this is a terrible loss. Not only was John an incredible source of vast information regarding TR, he also encouraged and supported future scholars researching TR's life and the Progressive Era. I always looked forward to hearing him speak and identify topics pertaining to TR that have yet to be fully researched.

          I hope that the directors of the TRA will examine the possibility of establishing an annual award honoring new TR scholarship (magazine articles, books, dissertations, etc.) in John's memory. It could be awarded at the annual meetings and then the recipient would present their findings in a presentation to the association membership. This would be a good way to continue John's efforts to encourage and support further research on TR's life.

          Jeremy Johnston
          Assistant Professor of History
          Northwest College
          231 West 6th Street
          Powell, WY 82435
          (307) 754-6008
          jeremy.johnston@...

          ________________________________

> [...]

          > composed by more than two dozen of his friends and
          > colleagues, among them the Pulitzer Prize winners
          > Edmund Morris, James MacGregor Burns, David McCullough
          > and Arthur Schlesinger Jr.
          >
          > Dr. Gable's survivors include his mother, Mary Jane
          > Gable, of Naples, Florida; a brother, Patrick Gable of
          > Pittsfield, MA; a sister, Bonnie Jean Gable, of Lenox,
          > MA; a sister-in-law, Janet Gable, of Pittsfield; and
          > nieces Mary and Bonnie Jean, of Los Angeles and
          > Corvallis, Oregon, respectively.
          >
          > A memorial service will be held 11 AM on Friday,
          > February 25th, at Christ Church, 61 East Main Street,
          > Oyster Bay. A later funeral service will be held at
          > Trinity Parish, Lenox, MA.
          >
          > In lieu of flowers, the family asks that contributions
          > be made to Christ Church (address above) or the
          > Theodore Roosevelt Association, P.O. Box 719, Oyster

          Yahoo! Groups Links