Need to draw on the knowledge of the group!

  • tbaker@pro-ns.net
    Message 1 of 28 , Feb 10, 2005
      Hey y'all!

      I got a request from my rattie list to verify this - can anyone help?

      This quote/statement has appeared on a rattie web site and we are trying to
      find if this is indeed true:

      >>"Life Magazine showed President Roosevelt with 3 black and tan RT's">>>

      Has anyone ever seen this article? Does anyone know what issue/month? Any
      information will be appreciated! There was no pic, so if anyone can direct me
      to an online source to view the image or the article I would be in your debt!

      Thanks,

      Theresa Baker
      RatpiT Kennels
    • Tweed Roosevelt
      Message 2 of 28 , Sep 13, 2005
        In Leslie S. Klinger's magnificent The New Annotated Sherlock Holmes, W. W. Norton, New York, 2005, Vol I, footnote 17, page 296, in the story The Adventure of the Noble Bachelor which mentions St. George's Church in Hanover Square, London:

        "Designed and built by John James in 1721-1724, its  interior restored by Sir Arthur Blomfield in 1894, the Anglican St. Geroge's was 'the most famous church in London for fashionable weddings.' according to Baedeker.  Nineteenth-century weddings held here included those of Percy Bysshe Shelley (1814), Benjamin Disraeli (1839), George Meredith (1844), George Eliot (1880), and Theodore Roosevelt (1886).
      • Tweed Roosevelt
        Message 3 of 28 , Dec 28, 2005
          Dimensional Data, a South African company reselling network infrastructure
          packages to corporations around the world in its weekly newsletter dated
          Dec. 23, 2005:

          Last week�s quick question was :
          Which American President barred the Christmas Tree from being displayed in
          the White House?
          - Teddy Roosevelt
          - George W Bush
          - Woodrow Wilson
          - Franklin D Roosevelt

          The correct answer is Teddy Roosevelt.
        • Emma Lathan
          Message 4 of 28 , Dec 28, 2005
            I can honestly say that I did not know that and am interested in the "why"?

            --
            "When we started skating, we had no role models in Poland to follow, we just had a wish."
            -- Zagorska and Siudek, 1999 World Bronze medalist-figure skating pair from Poland
            Always remember Ferengi Rule of Acquisition Number 76: Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies."
            - Quark (Deep Space Nine)
            "I had forgotten that men could not see unicorns. Just because they cannot see them does not mean they do not exist."
            - The Unicorn  (The Last Unicorn)
            "Sometimes I think the universe just waits for me to get cocky."
            - Egon (The Real Ghostbusters cartoon)
            "A man is as happy as he makes up his mind to be."
            - Abraham Lincoln
            "Please try to understand before one of us dies..."
            - John Cleese as Basil Fawlty
            "Killing you is on our to do list. Please be polite and wait your turn. "
            - The Game Operation Division
            "I'm not going there to die. I just need to know if I was ever really alive."
            - Spike (Cowboy Bebop)
          • RoginaJ@cs.com

              Message 6 of 28 , Jan 3, 2006
                > Can anyone verify this?
                > > Which American President barred the Christmas Tree from being
                displayed in
                > > the White House?
                > > The correct answer is Teddy Roosevelt.

                I tried posting a reply the other day, but my posting seems to have
                gone astray somewhere down the line.

                I don't know if TR literally *banned* Christmas trees in the White
                House, but according to the Dallas Morning News there was no
                Christmas tree in the White House during Christmas of 1902.

                In 1903 there was no *family* Christmas tree in the White House, but
                Archie Roosevelt set up his own little tree in the sewing room.

                I'm afraid I don't know what occurred in subsequent years, though.

                All my best,

                George Behe
              • Linda A. Shookster
                Message 7 of 28 , Jan 3, 2006
                  Hi George,

                  Happy New Year, BTW! Was there any reason given why TR was banning
                  Christmas Trees?

                  Thanks, Linda

                  Visit nineteenth century New York by viewing my blog:

                  http://oldnewyork.blogspot.com

                  Laterally dated periodically!

                  > > Can anyone verify this?
                  > > > Which American President barred the Christmas Tree from being
                  > displayed in
                  > > > the White House?
                  > > > The correct answer is Teddy Roosevelt.
                  >
                  > I tried posting a reply the other day, but my posting seems to have
                  > gone astray somewhere down the line.
                  >
                  > I don't know if TR literally *banned* Christmas trees in the White
                  > House, but according to the Dallas Morning News there was no
                  > Christmas tree in the White House during Christmas of 1902.
                  >
                  > In 1903 there was no *family* Christmas tree in the White House, but
                  > Archie Roosevelt set up his own little tree in the sewing room.
                  >
                  > I'm afraid I don't know what occurred in subsequent years, though.
                  >
                  > All my best,
                  >
                  > George Behe

                  > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
                  >

                  >  Visit your group "tr-m" on the web.
                  >  To unsubscribe from this group, send an email
                  > to: tr-m-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com   Your use of
                  > Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.

                • George Behe
                  Message 8 of 28 , Jan 3, 2006
                    Hi, Linda.

                    Thanks for your kind New Year's greeting. I hope you and your
                    family will have a terrific 2006 as well.

                    > Was there any reason given why TR was banning
                    > Christmas Trees?

                    I'm afraid not. The newspaper merely mentioned the absence of
                    Christmas trees in 1902 and 1903 during the course of its general
                    description of how the Roosevelt's spent Christmas Day.

                    (Just as a speculative aside, do you suppose TR might have regarded
                    the seasonal destruction of pine trees as a waste of the country's
                    natural resources?)

                    All my best,

                    George
                  • prosperena
                    Message 9 of 28 , Jan 4, 2006
                      Regarding TR's banning of Christmas trees in the White House...  The same "trivia question" appeared a couple of weeks ago in the online "Martha Stewart Newsletter."  This is the answer according to that website: "Theodore Roosevelt prohibited Christmas trees in the White House for fear of undermining his forest-conservation efforts."  A similar posting appears at: http://www.bugwood.org/christmas/BHHTT.html: "Theodore Roosevelt decided for the sake of forest conservation that the White House would not have a tree. His two sons snuck a small tree into their room and were caught, to the embarrassment of their father."  And here: http://www.clover.okstate.edu/fourh/aitc/lessons/extras/facts/cmastree.html
                      "President Theodore Roosevelt - known for his campaign for the conservation of natural resources - banned the use of such trees for White House festivities. Shortly afterward he discovered that two of his sons had smuggled a tree into the mansion and set it up in their room. The boys appealed to their father's good friend, Gifford Pinchot, 'America's first professional forester.' Pinchot convinced the president that if young evergreens were properly cut, it was helpful rather than harmful."
                      Neither site cites its sources but they seem fairly reliable.  Perhaps someone can find definitive information in one of the (unnamed) boys correspondence...?
                      --Kari E. Johnson
                      Los Angeles, CA
                    • Scott E
                      Message 10 of 28 , Jan 4, 2006
                        A bit ironic perhaps that "Martha Stewart" is also the name of TR's maternal
                        grandmother!!!
                        Scott

                        >From: "prosperena" <kejohnson@...>
                        >To: tr-m@yahoogroups.com
                        >Subject: [tr-m] RE: He is everywhere thread
                        >Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 00:10:18 -0000
                        >
                        >Regarding TR's banning of Christmas trees in the White House... The same
                        >"trivia question" appeared a couple of weeks ago in the online "Martha
                        >Stewart Newsletter." This is the answer according to that website:
                        >"Theodore Roosevelt prohibited Christmas trees in the White House for fear
                        >of undermining his forest-conservation efforts." A similar posting appears
                        >at: http://www.bugwood.org/christmas/BHHTT.html: "Theodore Roosevelt
                        >decided for the sake of forest conservation that the White House would not
                        >have a tree. His two sons snuck a small tree into their room and were
                        >caught, to the embarrassment of their father." And here:
                        >http://www.clover.okstate.edu/fourh/aitc/lessons/extras/facts/cmastree.html
                        >"President Theodore Roosevelt - known for his campaign for the conservation
                        >of natural resources - banned the use of such trees for White House
                        >festivities. Shortly afterward he discovered that two of his sons had
                        >smuggled a tree into the mansion and set it up in their room. The boys
                        >appealed to their father's good friend, Gifford Pinchot, 'America's first
                        >professional forester.' Pinchot convinced the president that if young
                        >evergreens were properly cut, it was helpful rather than harmful."
                        >Neither site cites its sources but they seem fairly reliable. Perhaps
                        >someone can find definitive information in one of the (unnamed) boys
                        >correspondence...?
                        >--Kari E. Johnson
                        >Los Angeles, CA

                      • Arnie Talgo
                        Message 11 of 28 , Jan 5, 2006

                          Here is some info from the web—

                          ARNIE

                          See

                          http://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas.com/O_Tannenbaum/12b-The_White_House_Christmas_Trees.htm

                          Excerpts—

                          Victorian-Era Christmas Tree SceneThere was almost a break in the tradition during the tenure of President Theodore Roosevelt. The story is that in 1902 the president, an ardent conservationist, forbad his children to have a Christmas tree on the grounds that it would undermine his conservation program [1] ; often, the children in question are identified as Archie and Quentin. [2] Roosevelt is reported to have said "It's not good to cut down trees for mere decoration. We must set a good example for the people of America ." However when the matter was broached with Gifford Pinchot, a cabinet member and founder of the Yale School of Forestry, the President relented. Pinchot assured the President that thinning the forest by cutting down Christmas trees actually helped the forest thrive. It is reported that after this episode, the Roosevelts had a small tree each year.

                          Roosevelt, in a letter to Master James A. Garfield, dated December 26, 1902, wrote:

                          Yesterday morning at a quarter of seven all the children were up and dressed and began to hammer at the door of their mother's and my room, in which their six stockings, all bulging out with queer angles and rotundities, were hanging from the fireplace. So their mother and I got up, shut the window, lit the fire, taking down the stockings, of course, put on our wrappers and prepared to admit the children. But first there was a surprise for me, also for their good mother, for Archie had a little Christmas tree of his own which he had rigged up with the help of one of the carpenters in a big closet; and we all had to look at the tree and each of us got a present off of it. [Emphasis added.] There was also one present each for Jack the dog, Tom Quartz the kitten, and Algonquin the pony, whom Archie would no more think of neglecting than I would neglect his brothers and sisters. Then all the children came into our bed and there they opened their stockings. Afterwards we got dressed and took breakfast, and then all went into the library, where each child had a table set for his bigger presents. Quentin had a perfectly delightful electric railroad, which had been rigged up for him by one of his friends, the White House electrician, who has been very good to all the children. [3]

                          In a letter to his sister, Mrs. Douglas Robinson, Dec. 26, 1903, President Roosevelt wrote:

                          We had a delightful Christmas yesterday—just such a Christmas thirty or forty years ago we used to have under Father's and Mother's supervision in 20th street and 57th street .

                          At seven all the children came in to open the big, bulgy stockings in our bed; Kermit's terrier, Allan, a most friendly little dog, adding to the children's delight by occupying the middle of the bed. From Alice to Quentin, each child was absorbed in his or her stocking, and Edith certainly managed to get the most wonderful stocking toys. Bob was in looking on, and Aunt Emily, of course.

                          Then, after breakfast, we all formed up and went into the library, where bigger toys were on separate tables for the children. I wonder whether there ever can come in life a thrill of greater exaltation and rapture than that which comes to one between the ages of say six and fourteen, when the library door is thrown open and you walk in to see all the gifts, like a materialized fairy land, arrayed on your special table? [4]

                          Roosevelt wasn’t against Christmas, however, in two works published in 1913, he wrote about Christmas customs observed by the Roosevelt family.

                          In ["The Yale Book of American Verse’s"] the anthology of hymns, for instance, besides all the great hymns, from Bernard of Morlais to Cowper and Wesley and Bishop Heber, I would like to put in some hymns as to which I know nothing except that I like them. Every Christmas Eve in our own church at Oyster Bay , for instance, the children sing a hymn beginning "Its Christmas Eve on the River, its Christmas Eve on the Bay." Of course the hymn has come to us from somewhere else, but I do not know from where; and the average native of our village firmly believes that it is indigenous to our own soil—which it can not be, unless it deals in hyperbole, for the nearest approach to a river in our neighborhood is the village pond. [5]

                          Message 12 of 28 , Jan 10, 2006
                            The Gerald R. Ford Museum in Grand Rapids, Michigan is hosting an exhibit
                            on Theodore Roosevelt. The website can be found at:

                            http://www.ford.utexas.edu/MUSEUM/exhibits/TR/enter%20website.htm

                            Jim Gallen
                          • James M Gallen
                            Message 13 of 28 , Jun 8, 2006
                              Doug Mishler did make a very energetic and enthusiastic portrayal of TR
                              at the Kirkwood Chautauqua on June 6. He was very well received. After
                              the portrayal he removed his costume and talked and answered questions.

                              During the rest of the week he will give other lectures around the area
                              on TR as Conservationist and TR as Adventurer.

                              Jim Gallen