839Re: TR and Music

  • gardunne63
    Apr 1, 2004
      --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, "John A. Gable" <TRA_Gable@s...> wrote:

      > Edith Roosevelt loved music, classical and also more modern music.
      She had > famous concerts in the White House, and of course TR
      attended these. But seldom said much, or expressed opinions. This
      was his wife's thing, not his. TR had difficulty telling one tune
      from another. And yet he could identify bird songs easily. This
      does not compute, but there it is. He liked marches and military
      tunes. He did hum to himself. But he was certainly not musical.
      He loved painting and sculpture, literature, poetry, but music was
      not his > thing.

      TR was a fan of ragtime, wasn't he?

      "Onward Christian Soldiers" or "How Firm a Foundation" would be my
      guess as to TR's favorite hymn.

      Speaking of Edith, where is her vast collection of theatre
      programs/playbills archived? Is it in a private collection of one
      of the grandchildren or great-grandchildren? I believe she started
      attending plays in the 1870's and was an avid theatregoer through
      the 30's. I am a theatre history nut and can't imagine the number of
      programs she might have left to one of the children or
      grandchildren.

      Thanks, Julie
    • Show all 8 messages in this topic