625A ROOSEVELTIAN WEEKENDRe: [tr-m] He is everywhere thread

  • pathfinder6436830
    Aug 5, 2003
      FROM HOTELS TO CABINS. Connections with TR abound. I have included
      some information about the "Roosevelt Cabin," located on the campus of
      Berry College, Mount Berry, near Rome, Georgia. Of course, TR's
      family connections with the State of Georgia are well-known, i.e.,
      Bulloch Hall in Roswell. In another point of presidential history,
      Mrs. Ellen A. Wilson, the first wife of President Woodrow Wilson is
      buried in nearby Myrtle Hill Cemetery in Rome. The great thing about
      history is that it is everywhere. Many of us can probably identify TR
      associated sites right around the corner from us. In addition to Berry
      College, I have lived near the Tuskegee Institute National Historic
      Site, Tuskegee , Alabama. Of course, TR's connection with Booker T.
      Washington, the founder of Tuskegee Institute, is well-known. I
      believe that TR served on the Board of Trustees at Tuskegee. Now
      Tuskegee University, the campus offers a well preserved view of the
      times in which Booker T. Washington lived. I urge further efforts to
      recognize TR's association with Tuskegee, cognizant of the unique
      challenges that existed for both TR and Booker T. Washington in
      nurturing that relationship.

      http://www2.berry.edu/oakhill/roosevelt.asp (A picture of the cabin is
      displayed on the website)

      Roosevelt Cabin, first referred to only as "the Cabin," one of the
      oldest buildings on the main campus, symbolizes more than any other
      building Miss Berry's history and philosophy. Soon after the schools
      opened in 1902, Miss Berry and Captain John Gibbs Barnwell, architect
      for the Berry Schools, drew up plans for a rustic log cabin which was
      to serve as a guest house and a social center/demonstration cottage,
      intended, as Elizabeth Brewster later put it, to demonstrate to the
      highlanders that "a home may be simple and inexpensive and at the same
      time in good taste and even beautiful."

      In these early days the cabin was the heart of the campus in several
      ways. It caught the overflow from the small school kitchen in
      Brewster Hall; there were usually a large black iron pot of beans
      boiling on one fireplace and potatoes roasting in a bed of coals in
      the other. Here Miss Berry worked to help students acquire poise and
      polish; she insisted that everyone (students and teacher alike) speak
      up at her Sunday afternoons and other social gatherings, that they
      make little speeches and offer toasts (using coffee or water). Daily
      prayer services were held in the Cabin, and Miss Berry taught Sunday
      school there; in inclement weather Sunday worship services were held

      For many years the Cabin served as a guest house, and the visits of
      several very important persons are associated with it. The most
      famous visitor to the cabin was former President Theodore Roosevelt,
      who had a luncheon there during his visit on October 8, 1910. The
      next day The Cabin was renamed Roosevelt Cabin by Miss Berry.
      President Roosevelt and his party arrived at the Rome depot in a
      pouring rain and drove over the campus in the schools' oxcart, which
      he insisted on driving himself. Afterwards they were served a meal in
      the cabin. Walter Johnson, a student, was assigned to wait on the
      table. (END)

      Jim Johnson

      --- In tr-m@yahoogroups.com, sherryj@u... wrote:
      > > P.S. I might get them to put a photo of TR in
      > > there.
      > That would be nice of them. I don't foresee ever being in New
      Orleans but if I ever
      > DO happen to get over that way, I will try to make a point to visit
      the Fairmount-
      > Roosevelt Hotel and ask them about the history of it. Tons of people
      > interested in history and it could be a draw for business for the
      > I know there is a Roosevelt Lake in Arizona named after TR but I
      don't know what
      > namesake things are there because I've never been there. I believe
      it draws a lot
      > of boaters. I ought to put a trip there on my To Do list ~~ my Nice
      To Do list.
      > Sherry
    • Show all 28 messages in this topic